PDA

View Full Version : Simulator Drivers in Bournemouth

NLM13
11th Nov 2003, 03:35
Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone had any info on jobs driving the sims at the college in Bournemouth, ie what qualifications/experience are requiered, and if these jobs come up very often?

Any info at all would be appreciated:ok:

Barnaby the Bear
11th Nov 2003, 16:26
NLM13, As far as I am aware no formal qualifications are required. But you maybe asked to take part in some sort of aptitude test. Having said that, jobs don't come up too often. And when they do, they used to be offered to Students that didn't make it.

Things change quite rapidly with regards to recruiting. So send your CV.:}

NLM13
12th Nov 2003, 01:46
Thanks Barnaby, I was going to do that anyway. Nothing to lose I suppose.:D

Dances with Boffins
12th Nov 2003, 15:41
The College, like the rest of NATS, offers vacancies internally before externally advertising them, and consequently most ACP [Aircraft Control position] jobs go before Joe Public ever gets a chance to apply. That said, DAT&S [Department of ATC Simulation and Training] to give Hurn it's correct title, has been employing ACPs lately, and is still recruiting. The positions are part-time at the moment, with a guaranteed 10 days work per month through 3/4 of the year, and 5 days per month in summer, but the simulation programme is such that it is more like full-time from August to April. There is a very high chance that the majority of part-time staff will be converted to full-time in the very near future.
Send your c.v. to :-
Peter Thompson
NATS DAT&S
Bournemouth International Airport
Christchurch
DORSET
BH23 6DF

DWB :cool:

aluminium persuader
14th Nov 2003, 04:12
God, that takes me back!
I was one of said sim drivers, back in late 80's/early 90's. A friend of mine saw the ad in the B'mouth Evening Echo, and I don't think it appeared anywhere else publically. I don't remember therebeing any aptitude test as such, although therewere some searching questions at interview. A training course followed, about 6 weeks if memory serves me well. I went on to do what we called "master-sim" on aerodrome & approach procedural. It helped no-end when I started my cadetship. With adc & apc, the master-sim ran the excercise and operated the phone lines. Two cadets provided the pseudo-pilot input, under guidance from the m-s. On approach radar, there was a maste-sim again running the ex & doing the phones, and the blips & pilot voices were done by Aircraft Control Position Operators (ACPO's).

The particular bonus for me was that for every year of service as an ATSA (which the master-sims were, but not the ACPO's) you could trade an A-level, if you were after a cadetship. Worked well for me, 'cos I'm fikk!
Lokk at me now, though - on a nightshift controlling at an international airport "somewhere in central Europe"!

:ok:

NLM13
15th Nov 2003, 05:08
Thanks for the replies folks, I'll send my cv off after I up-date it a bit.

NLM13

BartonBoy
18th Nov 2003, 19:25
Hi NLM13,

Just taken my aptitude tests yesterday and now awaiting confirmation of an interview. Aptitude tests include numerical computation, basic checking and listening tests. I both have A-Levels and past air traffic experience, however these are not required.

Maybe see you in the near future!

BB