PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow Go Arounds

kepor
10th Nov 2003, 07:20
For the guys in LHR...

Regarding go arounds in London Heathrow, is there any difference between when you send aircraft around by day and by night, when the one in front hasn't vacated. The instruction to go around seems to be earlier at night?

Also, how critical is the timing of the turn in the missed approach procedure? The FMGS seems to delay the turn slightly beyond where it should, when do you start to panic?

Thanks.

Gonzo
10th Nov 2003, 15:13
There shouldn't be any reason why go-arounds are given earlier at night. There may be some psychological reason behind it, but I'd also consider that not all exits are lit with greens, and if an a/c is trying to vacate on one of those, then they usually take a lot longer, so we know a bit more in advance if it's going to be tight.

Turning when you should is very important, but we'd turn you on to a heading if you didn't do it as soon as we liked anyway. Gets you out of conflict with any departures.

fast cruiser
10th Nov 2003, 15:22
Hi Chaps

Why is the missed approach from 27L only cleared to 2000' and only when at LON 6d cleared to 3000'. Its different to all other missed approaches at LHR as your cleared to 3000' straight away.

Not sure but I cant remember whether it was 2000' or 3000' when it was climb straight ahead I think was stilll 3000' from 27L

just curious

cheers

FC

ATCO Two
10th Nov 2003, 17:29
Other reasons may be that we cannot use the "cleared to land after" or "land after" procedures in the dark, and it is more difficult to see when aircraft are safely clear of the runway.
Kepor - we NEVER panic!
FC - the initial climb to 2000ft is to deconflict you from any previous DVR/DET departures from 27R.

Gonzo
10th Nov 2003, 21:20
ATCO Two,

Us lesser mortals panic, all the time. Only way it goes away is when I shut my eyes..............

kepor
13th Nov 2003, 03:47
Thanks.

Was just wondering. Have had a couple of night time go arounds in LHR which both seemed to come a bit earlier than normal.