PDA

View Full Version : Any Books?

captainfiras
8th Nov 2003, 01:08
Helo I'm searching for a book in which it tells you all about APU's, NAV systems,Engine,communication,FMC's,Power supply and etc......... For the Boeing 737/400 .
Thanks for you're help

gear down props forward
8th Nov 2003, 03:40
I was interning at an airline based in Europe utilizing 737-300's and -400's. The airplane flight manual for the 737 is a good read and has all the information that you are looking forward to learning. 737-300/400/500 are basically the same except for some minor differences in weight, length, slight systems changes.

By reading a copy of the airplane flight manual for about one month, and riding the jumpseat for 25 hours, I was sent to the simulator, not for any official reason, instead, in order to have a go at flying the next best thing to the actual airplane (I would call it an attempt for me to demonstrate my knowledge!) This was pre-September 11.

Simulator session lasted for 45 minutes. The information most helpful to me was the information in the airplane flight manual. It allowed me to fly the sim/airplane and not have to think about learning how all the stuff worked during that flight. The next day, for some unknown reason, I received a letter of job offer (I had 220 total flight hours and only a FAA CPL at that time) for a 737 co-pilot position. What a great offer! The sim instructor was on the board of directors, which I found out AFTER the sim ride ("sim check").

When I returned to school in the States, FlightSafety International decided to sell their 737-300 sim, so I was not able to fly the 20 hours of simulator sessions. They did, however, sell (US$300) to all those persons enrolled in the 737 sim course, a copy of the airplane flight manuals, which is exactly the same as the one kept on board the airplane and the same one I studied for a month prior to my 45 minutes of "airline sim check" experience.

You could try FlightSafety about acquiring a 737 manual. Procedures may have changed since September 11 concerning jet manuals getting into the bad guys' hands. Good luck.

If you are ever in Daytona Beach, Florida USA, you may want to check out Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's on-campus library. I have been through their bookshelfs a few times and come across manuals such as MD11, 727, DC8... There is probably a 737 manual there, donated by some former student or faculty.

I hope this helps in your search for 737 systems information,

gear down props forward