PDA

View Full Version : Air Asia Misses the runway.

Marant
7th Nov 2003, 09:56
Air Asia B737 hit the mud about 100m short of runway 02 at Miri (WBGM) on Wednesday evening. They took several approach lights with them before bouceing back into the Air and landing on the runway. Pax very upset and I believe unaware of exactly what happened. Both Engines damaged through ingestion of approach lights. Left one had 37 blades severly damaged or missing. Underbody of aircraft had impact marks from Lighting equipment. It was the one painted up as Malaysian Flag, unsure of Reg. Weahter was ok, light winds, and passing light showers.

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
7th Nov 2003, 10:24
Day before another went of the runway at AOR

Few Cloudy
7th Nov 2003, 16:04
Where are they based?

Anti Skid On
7th Nov 2003, 18:14
KUL I believe (Kuala Lumpur)

PAXboy
7th Nov 2003, 22:29
Where are they based? A/c in the repair shop, crew on the Chief's carpet. :E

LVL CHG
8th Nov 2003, 00:40
Cocky pilots trying to impress each other... Not a good way to impress in my book.

lomapaseo
8th Nov 2003, 00:45
Cocky pilots trying to impress each other... Not a good way to impress in my book.

Huh?????

Supporting details please

lesenterbang
8th Nov 2003, 00:47
Two incident on two separate days.

The Alor Star incident invplves 9M-AAJ, their newest aircraft.
Apparently went off the runway during landing in heavy rain.

The Miri incident involves 9M-AAI, their second-newest aircraft. That is the one painted with the Malaysian flag.

Pictures of both aircraft available on airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net). Search under Air Asia or the registration.

This must be unlucky week for them.

Nezz Nedge
8th Nov 2003, 19:34
Jeez, I flew 9M-AAI Kuching - KUL on Monday afternoon

Nice looking aircraft, or at least it was then :(

allthatglitters
9th Nov 2003, 00:24
"NOW EVERYONE CAN FLY"
Bouldly showing on the stbd side of 9H-AAA in pic ID 87982
It may appear to have been taken to far.

lesenterbang
9th Nov 2003, 04:42
Yeah right. Tuesday night an Air Asia pilot from Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur did give a very impressive PA complete with their saleable souvenirs, new destinations and website.

It was heard all over the South China Sea. On 121.5.

jtr
9th Nov 2003, 05:17
There was an article recently in an Asia Financial mag about the CEO, and referred to his cost saving concept of landing short to save money on brake wear, or words to that effect. Did receive the dual eyebrow raise from me at the time.

lesenterbang
9th Nov 2003, 20:47
The Miri incident with AAI, according to local newspaper report the aircraft hit the runway end lights. There were about 60 pax, so aircraft is quite light.

CAPTAIN WOOBLAH
10th Nov 2003, 07:07
FYI it is interesting to look at the background and records of the management pilots. Very interesting to say the least reads like the whos who of aviation ha ha ha.!!!!!