PDA

View Full Version : military slang terms - please explain?!!?

Gin Slinger
6th Nov 2003, 03:32
As someone who is fairly new to commercial aviation, and with no military background whatsoever, I am often slightly at a loss to understand some of the slang terms used by the many ex-military aviators I come across to describe the various parts of and people within HM services.

Can any of you (who are bored enough) please some provide some decodes.

Cheers, GS (enjoying some surprisingly pleasant Tesco own brand lager)

soddim
6th Nov 2003, 04:34
GS = common screwdriver

Gin Slinger
6th Nov 2003, 05:56
Thanks for that.

How about soddim[ite]? Get your dictionary out for that one.

Touché!

Skylark4
6th Nov 2003, 06:21
Soddim,
You are wrong!!
A GS , or Screwdriver, General Service, is a far from common screwdriver. Its construction, where the shaft passes right through the handle, allows the application of precisely calibrated percussive persuasion to be applied with the partner tool, a nammer. This is why the GS is almost never referred to in isolation but is almost always teamed up with the nammer to form the riggers toolkit:- a nammer and a GS.

Mike W

reynoldsno1
6th Nov 2003, 06:48
wizard prang - an aircraft accident generally regarded as a positive life-enhancing experience, eh what?

jayteeto
6th Nov 2003, 14:48
Bluntie: Not enough time and space to write this..... A person who thinks the Air Force would be a much better organisation if we could get rid of all the aircrew. ie, form the Royal - Force.

FEBA
6th Nov 2003, 15:24
1) Court Martial - Furniture store detective (RM - 2Para)
2) Enlist - Poultry inventory
3) Crab - Horrible Air & Sea dwelling creature ( one's tasy the other distasteful)
4) Khaki - Starting device for APC Tank etc
5) Dhobie - Laundry now a big computer company
6) Leave - Don't touch it might go off
7) Discharge - WRAF WRNS WRAC problems
8) P45 - see 7)
9) Travel warrant - You will report to .....
10) NAAFI - No Ambition And Fcuk all Interest
11) Fatigues - Shagged out or bad luck
12) RMP SP - :yuk:
13) After burner - Consequences of a Cyprus knee trembler

Hope this helps
FEBA
:ok:

Matelot B'stard
6th Nov 2003, 18:07
Try the reference manual to Royal Navy Slang "Jackspeak"

Playboy = BR 69 - Naval Manual of Gynaecology.

SNAFU - Situation Normal, All F**ked up

Slide - Butter

And with reference to an above post where dhoby means to wash, coupled with "thin out" which means to leave, then we arrive at Naval Slang for Wash and Go shampoo... Dhoby and Thin.

Neptune Dust - Table salt

Hoffwomper - Facially challenged female, also know as Crocadillapig or face fire victim.. she answers to the name "Clang" cos thats the noise the shovel made when it hit her face.

FEBA
6th Nov 2003, 19:33
Matelot B'
Naval Manual of Gynaecology

Is this the same manual that shows you how to wallpaper the ward room through the porthole?

FEBA

Matelot B'stard
6th Nov 2003, 19:41
FEBA,

Am a paint man myself, but one and the same.. only requirements are thin wrist and waterproof watch :)

FEBA
6th Nov 2003, 19:59
Few more helpful acronyms
1) LSL (Biscay) - Sea Sick :yuk:
2) LSL (N Sea winter) - V Sea Sick :yuk: :yuk:
3) LCVP - Sea Sick:mad:
4) RRC - Sea Sick :ugh:
5) Bass Broom - Personal Hygiene utensil
6) Egg Banjo - Fried egg sandwich (why was it called that?)
7) Mess tin - in luck if you still had one after a 1 month ex
8) Chuffed to Fcuk Stew - All your compo in one mess tin (sometimes served hot)
9) CHIPS - Stupid acronym written on the back of an envelope post marked Cyprus. Also potato strips fried in OEP220:\

FEBA

Training Risky
6th Nov 2003, 20:12
Handbrake House: Station HQ (so called because whenever you go there for some thing... they slam on the handbrake)

Scribbly/Blunty: non-aircrew

Stacker: supply clerk/officer

Air Tragic: Air Traffic Control

Green lid: Royal Marine

Rock ape: RAF Regiment gunner

Freak show: 28 (Army Co-operation) Sqn RAF - Merlin support helicopters

Plastic pig: Puma support helicopter

Wokka: The mighty Chinook HC2 / 2A support helicopter

Jungly: Royal Navy Sea King HC4 (Commando support helicopter)

Pinger: Royal Navy Sea King Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) helicopter

Bagger: Royal Navy Sea King Airborne Early Warning (AEW) helicopter

Skates/Matelots/the Andrew: The Royal Navy

Snowdrops: RAF Police (White caps)

Crushers: Royal Navy regulation branch (police)

Monkeys/Red Caps: Royal Military Police (Army)

Fun Police: RAF police low-flying complaints investigation unit

lesd
6th Nov 2003, 22:25
Have a look at
http://www.nmia.com/~miki/research/slang.html

lesd

CrabInCab
6th Nov 2003, 23:59
FEBA, I believe I may be able to shed light on why an egg banjo is indeed called an egg banjo. The explanation is much simpler when demonstrated but I’ll endeavour to describe it here.

The egg banjo is so called because often on the first bite the yoke explodes within the bap and, before you know it, dribbles down the front of your ovies. At this point, you hold the remaining egg and bap at arms length to your left whilst using your right hand to brush away the offending yoke from your front using a downward sweeping motion. During this action it might be said that you look very much like you are playing the banjo - hence egg banjo.

:ok:

soddim
7th Nov 2003, 00:09
Skylark4

Guess your 'nammer' would be the snide faced version for use by gin slingers?

FEBA
7th Nov 2003, 00:27
C in C
Very plausible, sounds good but I'm sure you made that up! OK here's a challenge for you.....eggs Benedict, go for it mate:zzz:
Fancy starting an egg banjo club? Could become a cult thing.
Cheers
FEBA

ShyTorque
7th Nov 2003, 00:38
Isn't "Eggs Benedict" something to do with chicken abuse in the Falklands? ;)

West Coast
7th Nov 2003, 00:41
LBFM

I learned this one in the military for sure.

CrabInCab
7th Nov 2003, 00:59
FEBA - Sdly cannot take credit for egg banjo thing, came from a fishhead mate.

As you asked.

According to A Cozy Book of Breakfasts and Brunches (Prima Publishing, 1996), "many years ago" a Wall Street financier named LeGrand Benedict, a regular patron of Manhattan's ritzy Delmonico's restaurant, complained that there was nothing new on the menu. The chef's response was this dish. A variant myth credits, instead of the chef, the Delmonico maitre d' and Mrs. Benedict. The name of the chef, and indeed any real facts about the genesis of eggs Benedict, are lost to history. The new Joy of Cooking (Scribner, 1997) dates the dish in the 1920s, and says the original base may have been toast.

:E

FEBA
7th Nov 2003, 05:56
CinC
Great stuff. the Egg banjo Club is born. PM me to discuss. A man with your imagination and plagaristic flair will go far on this flat planet.
Cheers
FEBA :ok:

CrabInCab
7th Nov 2003, 07:37
FLAT PLANET!!!!! I thought that was a secret that only EBC members knew?

:confused:

Bill O'Average
7th Nov 2003, 07:44
I can confirm CinC's rendition of the 'eggbanjo' dit.

A fabled REME invention, perfected over many a deployment. As those that know, the Remes truck has more domestic luxuries than a Winnebago parked up in chelsea.

Those that have tasted the delights of a pukka banjo will confirm its George Formby qualities.

FEBA
7th Nov 2003, 16:31
Bill
I'm afraid I have to doubt the authenticity of your claims that the REME invented the "Egg Banjo". It is quite true the REME LAD's mobile workshops carried more luxury equipment than the average family home and it is because of this that they simply wouldn't have bothered with an egg banjo, preferring instead, full english breakfast, lunch - full english breakfast, dinner - full english breakfast.
If that short annoying TV chef, AWT, is reading this, perhaps he can throw some light on the history of the Egg Banjo, perhaps even tell us the best way of cooking one.
FEBA

BEagle
7th Nov 2003, 16:56
I think the term 'Egg Banjo' originated in the British Indian Army. It was certainly in use during WW2.

Perhaps a corruption of 'Egg bun achar', achar being a hot spicey relish? Or from the Cape 'bunny chow' - meaning a small hollow loaf filled with whatever (usually curried beast).

LunchMonitor
7th Nov 2003, 17:09
Gentlemen the subject of the egg banjo has been discussed in depth using license payers money on the BBC website and the definitive answer is here along with notes to define other terms used in the explanation such as bread, sandwich and "pulling shirt"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A770168

FEBA
7th Nov 2003, 17:32
LM
Many thanks for that. The BBC are so twee aren't they! They seem to think that after a night on the beer that the kebab shop is given a miss in favour of an egg banjo. I think not. The only time I ever ate the things was in the field.
BEagle
You should be on "Call my bluff" along with CinC.

FEBA
:E

Divergent Phugoid!
7th Nov 2003, 18:36
I remember Laarbruuch's Banjo's had a slice of inedible processed plastic ham in between two grease soaked slices of limp bread,with a warm rubberised egg in the middle, left infusing in a hotlock for a minimum of four hours before serving!!

Those were the days.....:yuk: :yuk:

I_stood_in_the_door
7th Nov 2003, 19:21
wildenrath could do a mean banjo to soak up 15 pints of wobbly.

ahhh,, heaven!

isitd

:yuk:

stormcloud
8th Nov 2003, 01:46
OK.......what about -

Train smash.

$h*t on a raft.

Babies heads.

Pink ham!

All RN food I believe.

Compass Call
8th Nov 2003, 06:04
Stormcloud

Train Smash.

$h*t On A Raft.

Babie's Heads.

All very enjoyable and tasty - but......

Pink Ham???

Please enlighten me...Maybe I know it by another name
:confused: :confused:

CC

Gainesy
8th Nov 2003, 15:08
Not forgeting...
Tank Tracks
Spithead Pheasant

And that nice Malaysian dish, f**ked up by HM Service's Highly- Trained (!!) Grease Splashers all round the world:
Nazi Goering!!
:yuk:

BEagle
8th Nov 2003, 15:48
Yes - their idea of Nasi Goreng is 'whatever we've got left over mixed with rice'....and anything else 'oriental' is usually covered in gloop made with about 50% cornflour!

I'd almost forgotten the dubious joy of Babies' heads - always seemed to be on the menu during Cold War station exercises!

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Nov 2003, 16:14
Beags

The Bunny Chow is usually found in Durban. If cornered they can be quite ferocious, usually around 2am. I think the name is from the Indian word "Bhani" which is some kind of curried slush containing suspicious floating bits.

In the SADF we had Landmine Chicken and the chefs were known as Fitters and Turners. They fitted the grub into pots and turned it into cr@p. The Egg Banjo would never work with a South African Military Egg as they were usually blue and could be used as body armour in a pinch. Many's the time we've stuck them to the undersides of soft skinned vehicles to mineproof them. I believe some fighter types even carried them in the seat pan to avoid a second Charzi.

I think the chickens were specially bred to produce these eggs and when their useful life was done they were tenderised with a TM46 in a large armoured pot to become the infamous Landmyn Hoender.

factanonverba
8th Nov 2003, 18:03
WRAC - something screwed up against a wall!

Divergent Phugoid!
8th Nov 2003, 18:18
"WRAC - something screwed up against a wall!"

That would be of the Bi-Curious variety then???

:O ;)

FEBA
8th Nov 2003, 19:31
Tenshun - Demand that you make indentations in the concrete with your right foot
Left Right Left Right - Incase you forgot
IP - Point from which the Yanks attack your position

FEBA

Nozzles
9th Nov 2003, 15:41
Of course, prior to surlybondslipping, one must don the following equipment:

Turning Trousers
Floating Coat
Electric Hat

And when you flash up the Donk on the Steel Beach, make sure you don't suck up a Roof Rat! (or a Badger, for that matter).

As an aside, a beach, according to the Septics, is now known as an SLI (Sea-Land Interface).

Paterbrat
10th Nov 2003, 06:35
Technicolor yawns outside, control of foofoo valve apreciated.
(Its going to be good, but lets not go overboard)