PDA

View Full Version : Do you speak Italian?

2Donkeys
4th Nov 2003, 03:39
Fun listening to a certain London Control sector managing to confuse Volare a couple of days ago.

Volare pronounce their callsign VOLL-ARRR-AY, the lady on London Control insisted on VOLL-AIR. This was enough to cause the poor guys on the Volare flight to miss almost every call. It seems that flight numbers are not enough, the designator needs to be pronounced correctly too :D

chiglet
4th Nov 2003, 04:31
The "first" [renamed] JKK aka "Spanair" into Manch......[Sorry, but "very" broad/gutteral/thick spanish accent] called "Suwg 123" finals. Tower..."say again"
Repeat..[sounded like] Sandwich 123, 3 miles to land.
Twr to me [twr ATSA] "who is he?" me, "It's 'Spanair' ". Twr to a/c. "Are you "Spanair"?, then use it! Me, digging new decode out shouts, it's "Sunwing"......well at 2.30am it was [reasonably] funny

vintage ATCO
4th Nov 2003, 05:27
Ah! 2D, my old friend, the antenna's working well then! :D

The callsign on the strip is VOLARE, I with my customary classical upbringing pronounced it VOL-ARR-AY. However I have heard others say VOL-AIR . . . .

However, I have noticed the acft just using the last three digits, VOLARE 524. I used 8524 . . :confused:

VA

2Donkeys
4th Nov 2003, 14:18
Ah! 2D, my old friend, the antenna's working well then!

Never better, thanks to you! As it happens though, this was the Antenna mounted on the tummy of my hairyplane, slipping the surly bonds in Class A not a million miles away from your fine establishment. :D

strafer
4th Nov 2003, 15:48
Perhaps Dean Martin records should be standard issue to all new ATCOs?

yaffs
4th Nov 2003, 17:45
italian? oh yeah!
cappucino
pasta
pizza al fungi
espresso
dolce vita

yaffs ;)