PDA

View Full Version : PPL Air Law Exam

dfearns
3rd Nov 2003, 03:45
Hiya,
I have to sit my air law exam soon as part of my ppl. I was just wondering if any one knew what type of stuff I had to know for it so I can get revising.

Are there any good books to use to revise? What are the questions on the exam like? ect ect

Thanks for your replies in advance

DFearns

Charlie Zulu
3rd Nov 2003, 04:04
Hi DFearns,

This reply is going to be in the context of a pre-JAR PPL, i.e. a CAA PPL holder.

For the studying I used the popular Trevor Thom series of books, the Air Law being no exception. So pull out the red book two which covers Air Law and Meteorology.

You'll need to know the rules of the air, both airbourne and ground. Signal squares, marshalling signals, aircraft lights, what one can and cannot do in regards to maintenance, the different AIC colours, etc etc..

I believe in JAA world the PPL Air Law exam will also ask you about conventions etc, but I'm not sure.

As for exam preparation then look for a book called "PPL Confuser". It is a confuser with questions, answers and explanations in the style of the JAA PPL exams and is an excellent tool for "exam preperation". BUT it will not teach you the subject matter, it'll just get you through the exam.

The exam questions themselves are either 20/25 or so questions in multiple choice format. Each question has four possible answers, but the answers given are all possibles so you need to know the subject matter.

After the PPL Air Law exam you'll find you'll be used to the exam format and process and won't worry so much when it comes to the other exams (except the ATPL's when you come to do those, but that's something else entirely!!!).

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

Tall_guy_in_a_152
3rd Nov 2003, 06:26
Absolutely agree with everything CZ says above, i.e. Thom (or similar) to understand the subject, then PPL Confuser to pass the exam.

Don't forget to ask your instructor if there's anything you don't understand.

TallGuy.

Dewdrop
3rd Nov 2003, 15:02
Thom or Pratt books very good. Very very boring but Very very necessary. Good Luck.

G-Foxtrot Oscar 69
3rd Nov 2003, 16:12
I tried using the Tom Books and found there was far too much detail in them.

Remember don't nother with anything above FL100 as a PPL you aint going that high for a long time.

I was taught this approach and it worked fine. I got 98%.

PS Paper 1 is the easiest I recon!!!! If you take this option don't get hung up on Air to Ground signals etc. Afterall it's all complete rubish any way.

Don't worry too much about all the weitd stuff such as spare parts etc. You don't need to know it.

I'm not telling you what is on the paper but make sure you know what a ditch is. it may result in a very easy mark!

Just learn what is in the Confuser.

strafer
3rd Nov 2003, 18:29
One more thing to remember - make sure you are reading the new JAA books not the old CAA ones. (A mistake I made). In the current exams, the CAA like to make one of the incorrect multiple choice options the old correct answer in order to stitch you up. eg,

Q) How long is a PPL valid for?
A) 5 years
B) 10 years
C) For life (tee-hee)

PS I personally found this exam by far the dullest - it's uphill after that.

cessna l plate
9th Nov 2003, 01:54
Having recently passed my air law, I would agree with everything else already said. B U T...... In my opinion stay away from the Jeremy Pratt books. True the Trevor Thom are a lot more detailed, and so I chose Pratt, and during the exam felt like one. There were at least three questions that I had to guess at as there was no mention of the topic in the book I had spent 6 months reading. (eg, what should the aircraft identification plate in the cockpit be made of?) The answer is "Fireproof metal", but if I didn't work in aviation engineering, I would have been stuffed.

Thom is a lot more heavy going, but better, and leaves no doubt about the topic.

Good luck!!