PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 0-2a

WorkingHard
30th Oct 2003, 19:53
can anyone give me any info on this a/c. We intend to import one from the USA and would apprecaite any prior knowledge og CAA regs type cert. here etc

Oscar Duece
30th Oct 2003, 23:37
A man after my own heart (hence my user name). I love these things to bits and looked at this my self 18 months ago, but the cost for myself alone and work issues finished the idea and I've gone down in scale restoring an Auster. Could point you at some projects stateside if thats what your looking for or flying O-2a's, you don't want a B do you. No fun without bomb racks and rocket pods. ?
What do you need to know ?
They are not civil certified models, so can not operate on a UK CofA, especially the A model (hard points etc) The B model is more stock 337. You could operate on a Caa permit to fly, shouldn't be to much of a problem getting a company to act as maintenance for it or keep it on the 'N' reg. But the later may have some problems, depending on its current certificate. As O2's seen to operate on different schemes in the US, some standard cat and some experimental. I never did find out why this is. If it's on a experimental ticket on the 'N' reg, you can't operate it here in the UK, although you can visit, or deliver it as such.
What aircraft are you looking at ? Do you know about the spar inspections for O2's. They start at 3000 hours, not 5000 as with the 337, then every 500 hours. The good thing about O2's is that unlike the US build 337's they are factory corrosion proofed, same as the French 337's (all aluminium parts where zinc chromated, before assembly).
Anything else Pm me, beside I want to know moe about your plans.:ok:

treadigraph
31st Oct 2003, 00:23
Good call, Working Hard, hope you are successful!

Treadders

ozplane
31st Oct 2003, 00:48
Chap had a 337 at our strip but couldn't go to very many places as they were banned because of the noise level. Might be worth checking before you go too far down this road.

stiknruda
31st Oct 2003, 19:31
They are very noisy and are banned from many places worldwide.

You need a twin rating to fly them but if you do your twin rating on an O2 you cannot fly regular side by side twins because of there is no critical (Pfactor) engine on the O2.

Know of a couple that are primarily used to spot whales off the coast of Georgia - long range, slow loiter.

Stik

Oscar Duece
1st Nov 2003, 00:23
Also if someone in europe offers you an O2, as I was offered. Be very, very warry, as it's more likeley a FTB-337G. Basically a Reims built, stock 337G with under wing stores and in the case of the many that went through Portugal and then Rhodesia (Now Zimbabwe) they also had 7.62mm gpmg's mounted on top of the cabin, bolted directly to the main spar!!. They are worn out death traps.

WorkingHard
1st Nov 2003, 15:12
thanks to all the contributors so far. You have highlighted a few areas that were unknown to me. For info we have a 900m private strip with no restrictions. (very private before anyone asks - sorry) and the intention was to buy a genuine o2 which has been sourced already. I did not think a twin rating was necessary but in any event it is not a problem I could find no previous versions on the CAA register so needed info on what obstacles were likely to be encountered. Again many thanks to date

Oscar Duece
1st Nov 2003, 18:54
As for the twin rating. Yes Cessna hoped to get away with it, but the Faa had other ideas. Therefore there is an Faa only twin rating for CLT (Centre line thrust) twins, restricting operation to such. But with the same hours and cost as a normal one, there little point in it. If you fly in a G reg, it's the standard twin rating, as that all that available.
I suppose the other question is , what are you going to use it for. It must be for display with the hope of earning some revenue, otherwise why else an O2 and not a 337. Do you understand the operation of that, obtaining a Da, earning revenue on a CPL against operating as a limited company and getting paid that way if you don't have a CPL. Plus of course how all this effects the iarcrafts registration.
The other sore point I found was concerning VAT. I was going to keep it in the N reg, on a utility catagery. But as your basing the aircraft in Europe, you HAVE to pay VAT on import. But even as a VAT registered UK Ltd company such as I am, you CANNOT claim this as input VAT. Simply because you don't legally own the plane, the US trust does. Plus the fact that used military goods have a different import code and valuation system from normal aircraft. The fun goes on.
What else might you not know. The engines only have a 1500 hrs tbo, The props are unique to type, so harder to get a bargain.
Have you seen your aircraft yet. There are still plenty of near stock ones about, with very old or minimal use radio fits !
Do you know about Donald Neiser, he has several projects and plenty of spares..

The other trick I forgot to mention is a little safety matter. Yes the 337 series CLT is much safer than a side by side twin when operating on one engine. But it has a flaw. Depending on MSL and weight the single engine performance in fair to very good, EXCEPT when operating the landing gear. Due to the drag caused by the clamshell type rear gear doors, you will sink 200 ft or so (more at a higher MSL) and you can't do anything about it. So with an efato in some hot and high parts or even partly so, you could have a bad day. There is a mod to solve it, but that would detract from the genuine O2. It's a Faa only (can't use it on a G reg) STC'ed gear door deletion kit. Which means you loose the doors and fit a small fairing the the wells instead, it solves the problem or negative se climb. It's available from a company in Florida, let me know if you want the details, they also sell the clear view doors and some other 337 parts, but they aint cheap.