PDA

View Full Version : Security is often loose on corporate jets (article)

flyblue
29th Oct 2003, 15:14
Security is often loose on corporate jets
Joe Sharkey NYT
Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Passengers at the 429 airports used by commercial airlines in the United States all know the drill: To get on a plane, you must pass yourself and your belongings through a security checkpoint run by federal screeners who use electronic devices to look for guns, knives and other potential weapons.

Setting off the metal detector with as much as a forgotten quarter in a pocket elicits an embarrassing public pat-down and electronic wanding.

But this is not the drill for thousands of daily passengers who fly on corporate aircraft, which usually operate from private terminals at the 5,000 or so domestic airports that do not handle commercial air traffic. In the United States last year, according to industry statistics, more than 10,000 companies operated about 15,500 fixed-wing aircraft, from two-seat turbo-prop planes to jet behemoths that can carry 40 or more passengers.

Yet none of the passengers on those planes receive the preboarding security checks by federal screeners that are standard practice at commercial airports. Very few even pass through a metal detector. And officials in the industry are increasingly worried that lax or haphazard security procedures have created an opportunity for terrorists.

"Corporate aviation is a soft target," said Charlie LeBlanc, a vice president of Air Security International, a company that provides security services for operators of corporate aircraft. Business jets of all sizes make up nearly two-thirds of the total domestic corporate fleet.

"If terrorist groups are looking to continue to use aviation, and if they're thwarted using commercial aviation, they're going to be looking at other forms of aviation," he said.

Not very many years ago, the typical corporate aircraft was owned and operated by a single company, and most passengers were familiar faces. Since about 1996, however, corporate aviation - including fractional-share business-jet operations, private charter flights and programs that hire out corporate jets like limousines - has surged. Increasingly, corporate planes are carrying passengers who are strangers to one another and to the flight crew.

Fractional-share programs, which allow companies and individuals to buy time shares in a jet jointly owned with others, have "added 4,000 new general aviation customers in the last five years alone," said Steven O'Neill, the chief executive of Citation Shares, a fractional-ownership company. "And the average share size is growing smaller."

The overall number of flights by business jets rose 13 percent last year.

At the recent trade show of the National Business Aviation Association in Orlando, Florida, there was abundant discussion about security. Many agreed that to stave off unwanted federal regulation, the industry needed to move aggressively to adopt voluntary, uniform standards for such matters as preflight boarding, aircraft security on the ground and security at corporate airports.

Right now, corporate aircraft security is a hodgepodge of efforts by individual operators who themselves decide "how they want to deal with it," LeBlanc said.

The Transportation Security Administration, whose budget has been strained by the demands of security screening at commercial airports, has so far trod gingerly in dealing with corporate aviation.

In a security advisory to the industry last month, the agency merely urged "vigilance" and suggested that general aviation operators "consider" matters like methods for securing unattended aircraft, verifying passengers' identities and verifying the contents of baggage and cargo.

The New York Times

Spotlight
29th Oct 2003, 15:26
Mr LeBlanc knows an opportunity when he see's one.

I did like the well researched bit about 2 seat turbo prop planes to 40 seat jet behemouths!

Oh well, its get in while the goings good with the industry isn't it.

BEagle
29th Oct 2003, 15:27
Surely the whole reason for buying into corporate flying is to reduce the time expensive businessmen spend waiting around in increasingly irksome airports with their way over-the-top security? But a total stranger certainly shouldn't fly on a corporate aircraft, he/she must have accreditation from the company in question, surely?

Funny how that quote came from a VP in the security business. Do I hear the words of Mandy Rice-Davies yet again?

"He would say that, wouldn't he?"

sharpshot
29th Oct 2003, 16:15
Business aviation sure needs Monsieur LeBlanc:rolleyes:

As for two seat turboprops, I think the pilot might well know his one and only pax - but hey don't PC-9's and Tucano's have ejection seats! Didn't realise there were any in corporate use.:hmm:

Tinstaafl
29th Oct 2003, 19:30
There's an implicit assumption in his comments: That the current security procedures & rules are effective, appropriate & reasonable.

Not a viewpoint I share.

GlueBall
29th Oct 2003, 22:41
Needless to say, corporate aviation passengers are somewhat different than ticketed walk-up strangers at airline ticket counters.

Corporate client passengers are usually company employes, or otherwise known individuals. I seriously doubt that a stranger would be accommodated aboard a private bizjet, irrespective of whether or not the bizjet is operated by fractional owners.

However, there is room for improvement of perimeter access at general aviation airports. Local police or private security guards should be assigned full time at large general aviation airports to help preclude theft of, or illegal access to airplanes.

DA50driver
29th Oct 2003, 23:48
I am a corporate pilot flying a Falcon 50 for a large corporation in the U.S.A. I know every person that flies on our airplane, or they have been approved to be on board by our CEO.
I do not have any concerns regarding passengers taking control of my airplane.

Shared ownership programs are generally considered corporate operators. I think this is unfortunate. It is two totally opposite ways of operating. Shared ownership programs should be considered as a "For Hire" organization with regards to security issues. They should be required to screen all pax prior to boarding. Go to any FBO and watch the process of Frax Pax meeting their crews, and then watch a corporate crew greet theirs. You will notice a big difference unless the Frax crew has flown the same Pax many times prior.

flyblue
30th Oct 2003, 00:38
A friend of mine, who's a corporate pilot, told me about a flight to UK with the CEO of the VERY BIG company who owns the aircraft (if I told you the name of the guy you all would know who I'm talking about). On the way back, the screeners stopped them, and confiscated (evil eyeing him and all that comes with it) a small swiss army knife from the BIG BOSS's bag...and then handed it to my friend to "keep it safe". Needless to say, my sweating friend handed it back past the nearest corner!

Coconuts
30th Oct 2003, 20:36
I don't think Corporate Aviation is the only weak spot. Some of the scheduled planes I flew in in Canada had no cockpit doors let alone security checks & one was flying up by the coast of America, could have easily been aimed at Seattle. Couldn't do as much damage as a large jet to be sure but these were all approx 12 seater planes & could still inflict substantial damage.

Say again s l o w l y
30th Oct 2003, 20:54
Compared to what? A twelve seater, I'm assuming Beavers and the like, would be hard pressed to dent most buildingds, let alone destroy anything.
I'd be more worried about the 38t lorry full of semtex personally.

How do you propose we fix doors into a Beaver?

con-pilot
30th Oct 2003, 23:14
Coconuts, corporate aviation is not a weak link. By what I mean by corporate aviation are aviation departments operated by a corporate company for the use of only their employees and invited passengers.

With small companies as mine all the passengers are known personally by the flight crewmembers and any passengers invited by employees are identified by the employee before they are allowed on board. With larger corporations company issued IDs are used for identification prior to boarding.

The Corporate Aviation Industry has working on security before 9/11 and many companies had security guidelines in place way before anyone had ever heard of TSA.

I was going to add comments about charter and fractional operators, however I will let them respond.

Bottom line is the most secure civilian aviation operators are corporate operators.

pigboat
30th Oct 2003, 23:21
How many corporate aircraft hijackings have taken place in the seventy or so years corporate aviation has been around?

Thought so.

con-pilot
31st Oct 2003, 02:15
The only incident I have ever heard of was not one could have ever considered close to a hijacking.

It happened to company airplane of a friend of mine, years before 9/11. They were waiting for the boss to show up and when he did they walked out to the airplane (Falcon 50) and lo and behold there was someone sitting in the cabin. They first thought that this guy had just gotten into the wrong airplane. No this guy wanted to go for a ride. They called the cops and off he went. Turned out he was a mental patient. This happened in the early 80s.

The above incident really started security awareness within corporate aviation.