PDA

View Full Version : Is the Shed Dead?

bad bear
8th Feb 2001, 18:06
I haven't seen many SD360's around lately, has the cost of fitting TCAS killed them all off?

ft
8th Feb 2001, 18:36
Well, FWIW I filled more 360s than I care to remember with mail this past summer. Quick research on the WWW shows me those are still going strong.

Cheers,
/ft

G-SKIP
8th Feb 2001, 18:52
Aer Arrann are running a couple still
out of Dublin to IOM and SZD

EarlyGo
8th Feb 2001, 23:03
Always had a soft spot for the 330 and 360 (and Skyvan before that) due to growing up beside Belfast City Airport when it was Shorts' test field. Would miss 'em. (only flew in one once, that was enough though!)

Golf-Kilo Victor
9th Feb 2001, 00:01
Aurigny are running a 360 between Jersy and Guernsey

GKV

THESE AREOPLANES ROCK!! LITERALLY!! ;)

dont take offence....i think thay are cool....just like areoplanes used to be!

3 putt
9th Feb 2001, 00:49
Where can you get a Shed rating?
What sort of £££?
Tried looking for links to Shorts via Bombardier but no joy.
Anyone?

Deeko01
9th Feb 2001, 01:00
I see loads of shed's operating out of GLA, Loganair have 4 and there is the Fedex/Farnair SD360 which comes in and the SD330/360 from Streamline and also the BAC Express sometimes makes a visit plus Titan have one which comes in on odd charters so there is still a few around but they are a dying breed I think it's fair to say.

EGTE
9th Feb 2001, 01:51
You wana see sheds? Visit Exeter. British European use one for the Birmingham schedules and BAC Express usually have 3 parked up for night mail flights.

Speedbird48
9th Feb 2001, 05:34
I just sent a new thread to another site with the same question but it was locked out.
Anyway, here in the US there are amny Sheds still going but none that I know of with pax. They did all get TCAS when in pax service.
There is a guy in Milwaukee by the name of Jim Germek who runs an outfit called Air Cargo Carriers with about 25 of them on night freight. He has 330's. 360's and Sherpas.
Great machine had lots of fun in them and the 'Van.

THAI TUN
9th Feb 2001, 14:38
Titan recently sold the Shed, to Colombia I think. She was a good old girl.

I believe you can pay Streamline to do a type rating, 5 to 7,000GBP would be about right.

THAI TUN

m&v
10th Feb 2001, 00:20
Super 'Sheds' still flying with'Pacific Coastal' ex YVR.Pax service Vanc'Island.etc

Diver
10th Feb 2001, 02:20
I've filed more MOR's against a Shed, than any other aircraft in 27 years of flying.

The Rookie
10th Feb 2001, 03:04
Kissimmee Aviation are converting them to cargo.

All seem to be ex American Eagle ... loads of bot and pieces of 360 over the ramp.

The Rookie.

------------------
The Rookie

Straight & Level
12th Feb 2001, 15:55
Diver

Why? I Did 18 months on the Shed (you can only call 'em that if you have flown 'em!) With no (real) problems and certainly no MOR's filed against me or my machine, I hope!

Just like aeroplanes should be.

Diver
16th Feb 2001, 00:16
Straight & Level
If you were around in the mid 80's, you may remember the Aer Lingus 'Shed' that ended up as a chicken shed in a field near to EMA.
Well I was flying a Shed on that same day. I encountered more ice than I've ever seen at that stage of my career. Required prop RPM 1750 in icing, if I remember correctly. Rate of climb was never spectacular, but it became 100-200 fpm. Into reserve power, followed by RTOP in order to get out of the Iceing which thankfully I did. A former colleague declared a Mayday flying a Shed also that same morning. His Shed stopped climbing over the Pennines out of LBA and diverted into MAN. The Shed is a magnet for ice. The Mass balance on each aileron was caked in the stuff. The control column was floating if lightly held. The anti-ice and de-iceing system were very suspect. The Jetstream and the Shed were being certified at about the same time. The Jetstream had to be modified. The Shed manufacturers pleaded poverty by the potential affect to jobs at the factory in an area of high unemployment. I remember hearing a statement at the time, "....the Shed should never have been certified to fly in known Iceing conditions"
Diver

F111
16th Feb 2001, 05:10
Down here in OZ there are 5 Shed's flying, all -300's.
Sunstate (Qantas regional) have 4 and Sunshine Express (Ansett regional) have 1. The Sunshine Express aircraft only has 2600 TT.
Flight Safety in New York have a 360 simulator so they will do an endorsement for you.

OldAg84
16th Feb 2001, 19:57
I flew as SLF in a Shorts 360 on USAir Express from CLT to GSO- a short flight even in that A/C. I distinctly remember thinking this A/C had served over the Burma Hump. The interior was absolutely worn out- if it was solid it was scuffed or cracked- if it was fabric it was frayed or worn. Worst I've ever seen (although I've flown almost entirely US domestic, so it's certain people have seen worse.)

LondonGoodEvening
16th Feb 2001, 21:55
Loved my babies... 330/360. Flew them for two and a half years. Well you know what they say about flying sheds instead.................
Its like wa**k*n, "You don't like to talk about it, but enjoy doin' it"

JamesG
19th Feb 2001, 22:04
Flew on a 360 from Funchal/Porto Santo/Funchal at Xmas. 12 mins each way and a local guy was airsick 4 times on the return sector - must be a record, especially for a flat calm day!