PDA

View Full Version : Solent CTA & Soton CTR – instrument flying procedures

topunicyclist
28th Oct 2003, 06:32
I wonder if anyone could tell me what the R/T procedure is for flying into the Solent CTA and then into the Soton CTR for an instrument approach. I am undertaking a VOR/DME approach training flight (with Missed Approach) originating at Goodwood and plan to enter the CTA via Hazel & Alpha. Prior to entering the CTA I will of course have to have gained permission from Solent on 120.225. My plan is to fly one hold overhead SAM, then fly the VOR/DME approach procedure for the rwy in use.

My questions are:

1. At what point will I get transferred from Solent to Southampton Radar/App on 128.85?
2. When calling Southampton Radar/App, will Solent pass my details or will I have to give all these again when prompted to “Pass Your Message”?
3. Will I get transferred to TWR on 118.2 at some point during the approach prior to the Missed Approach and at what sort of height / distance would this transfer take place?

Thanks in advance!

Chilli Monster
28th Oct 2003, 12:32
In order:

1: Don't expect to, as they're often one and the same person. If it's busy though they may, like a lot if units now, 'split' and you may get transferred. That option is also subject to staffing of course.

2: Solent Radar / Southampton App if the frequencies are split are sat side by side, so the details will have been passed as prior co-ordination (but see ans (1) above)

3: Subject to local orders you may get transferred (once extablished inbound) for your go-around clearance or the approach/radar controller may just obtain that from tower and give it to you himself. If the aircraft has 'flip flop' radios set it up just in case but it may not happen

topunicyclist
29th Oct 2003, 00:45
Thanks Chilli Monster; it's comforting to know my details will already have been passed on if indeed I will be transferred in the first place.

FlyingForFun
29th Oct 2003, 17:00
I thought Southampton's radar was u/s, and they weren't accepting any practice instrument approaches. Has it been fixed?

If it has, that's good news - I may even pop over there myself for an ILS at the weekend! :ok:

FFF
-----------

topunicyclist
30th Oct 2003, 01:05
FFF - I understand the radar is fixed. I phoned up this a.m. to try and get a practice instrument approach, but even with the radar working, I couldn't get a training slot which corresponded to a time when I had a plane & instructor. Still, I'll try again Friday. Apparently you cannot book a practice approach the day before, you have to wait till the morning itself (any time after 0630 I was told!). Doesn't strike me as being a particularly efficient system if you have to wait until the day itself to find out if they'll accept you!

PhilD
30th Oct 2003, 14:52
Uni

How much will they charge you for a practice approach and go-around?

FlyingForFun
30th Oct 2003, 16:43
Thanks, Unicyclist. I think I'll give them a call on Sunday, in that case, and if they can't fit me in I'll go to Bournemouth instead.

FFF
--------------

topunicyclist
30th Oct 2003, 20:06
PhilD - I think it's about £20 :(

Evo
30th Oct 2003, 21:45
Bit more than that, innit? Although I think a second one comes a bit cheaper.

topunicyclist
31st Oct 2003, 04:55
.....anyway at this rate, I probably won't ever manage to do an approach into Southampton (suspect Goodwood may be waterlogged by morning)!