PDA

View Full Version : When is a positioning flight not a positioning flight?

Psr777
28th Oct 2003, 05:11
If anyone has any info, would be appreciated.

Recently, many of our flights have been combined, which results in cabin crew positioning between sectors on the aircraft ie.

LGW-PMI (operate) then position on the aircraft PMI-ZTH and operate ZTH-LGW.

When looking at the allowable Flight Duty, is it based on 3 sectors or 2 sectors?

During the positioning sector, do you arm doors and look after flight crew etc or do flight crew arm doors and fend for themselves?

cheers

:confused: :confused:

RadAlt
28th Oct 2003, 06:20
Positioning sectors generally don't count when calculating FDP's (in the UK). This will only apply as long as the crew do NOT partake in any form of 'duty', ie safety related duties.
So even when crew are only arming the doors on an empty flight, they're part of the crew and not just positioning, therefore the sector will have to be taken into account as if on duty.

beardy
28th Oct 2003, 20:22
Why don't you try reading your ops manual?

Hand Solo
29th Oct 2003, 08:56
Because Ops Manuals are vague, and do not contain instructions for every situation conceived by man and all which are not.

mbcxharm
29th Oct 2003, 09:07
Oh :mad: off beardy, go and be miserable somewhere else.

Sorry, but I'm getting tired of this sort of ridiculous aggression towards people asking perfectly reasonable things on PPRuNe.

Psr777
29th Oct 2003, 20:14
Cheers for the constructive comments from the majority...

Heli-Ice
1st Nov 2003, 19:08
According to Icelandic regs, the time spent on positioning shall be counted in full when calculating FDP's.

The time spent on "travelling" to and from company provided resting places should be excluded from FDP calculations.

This surely varies between countries so I'd recommend that you read your national regs and maybe your ops manual which should give you an idea of how these matters are tackled. Some JAA countries haven't adopted the JAR-OPS1 or 3 subpart Q but have their own national requirements.

I think it doesn't matter how many sectors you are talking about, what matters is the time at which you are expected to report for duty and from that point your FDP starts.