PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Exit row

Bumz_Rush
28th Oct 2003, 02:32
Perhaps a simple answer but the question was interesting.

Monarch 757 safety briefing, and the pax in 1D decided to read his paper, the hosti asked him to pay attention, he declined in a very positive manner, carried on reading his newspaper. Following the briefing and prior to departure he was then asked to fold his paper, and place it in the stowage rack in-front, (on the bulkhead.)
He then asked why, and was told that row 1, was an emergency exit and must not be obstructed by such items as newspapers, coats and similar items on the (as it happens) vacant centre seat.
He then asked just where was the emergency exit that he was obstructing. The hosti, replied "if you were paying attention to the briefing you would know this".
He then asked just how his newspaper could block an exit row which actually has no emergency egress.
The response was typical, "it is a CAA regulation".My question is this: is row 1, seats D,EF considered an emergency exit, even without the facility of ground level lighting, and certainly without a tin opener no physical exit.
On the landing cabin tidy up, I was also asked to fold my newspaper and stow it in the bulkhead infront of 2C.

For non regular Monarch 757's both these are normal seat rows albeit with bulkheads infront.

Are there now secret emergency exits on monarch 757 aircraft???
over to you Monarch flight safety team.

SydGirl
28th Oct 2003, 05:44
Sorry Bumz_Rush I'm not on the Monarch flight safety team but I may be able to shed some light.

The Monarch 757 you're referring to has 1DEF directly behind a bulkhead (possibly a coat cupboard - not sure), and 2ABC directly aft of a lavatory (nice!). Both bulkhead and toilet are immediately aft of the entry door (L1) and galley service door (R1). I don't fly for Monarch but have just checked out the seating config from their website.

Anywho... technically the FA is correct, they are emergency exit rows because they are rows immediately aft of an emergency exit. Albeit there is a bulkhead or a toilet in front of them. I can only speak from my own knowledge of local (Aussie) regulations, but aisles and exits must be clear. This also applies to the floor area near passengers feet. Cabin baggage and personal items must be stowed either under the seat in front, in the seat pocket or in the overhead lockers. A newspaper is a personal item so must be stowed correctly.

Pedantic? Yes definitely. However, I have been err.. "spoken to" on one occassion with this exact scenario by a CASA official. This person advised me that newspapers, reading matter and any personal items MUST be stowed on takeoff or landing. This also includes any items on empty seats.

She's just covering her ass.
SG
:)

MonarchA330
28th Oct 2003, 07:50
Hey,
As Monarch crew, this is my understanding of the situation.

Firstly, as regards the demo, the crew do not do it for their own entertainment or enjoyment. Therefore, it is basic courtesy and manners to pay attention for the 2 minutes that it takes.

Secondly, 1D is one of the designated ABP seats (Able Bodied Person) meaning that the person sitting in that seat should be fully aware of the SEP (Safety and Emergency Procedures) so they can assist the crew in an emergency, or actually open the L1 or R1 doors should a) there be a 6 person crew (a very likely possibility) or b) a crew member become incapacitated.

I have to say tho, on the newspaper front, I felt that it was a stupid thing to have to put away the newspaper for TO and landing. A bag on the floor? Yes as it could obstruct another person getting out of the row, but if 1DEF have to put their newspaper away, then so should the whole A/C.

Most of the time, you merely do it do make sure you are 'following the rules'

Itswindyout
28th Oct 2003, 17:46
Re ABP: There was no attempt to ensure that this seat was occupied by a ABP, in fact the seat was scheduled to be occupied by a rather large gentleman, who relocated to 2D, and the chap in 2E moved to 2D. Without the knowledge of the crew.

Re briefing: I 100% agree with the purpose of safety briefing, I am a Captain, and always do the cabin crew the honour !!!! of my full attention.

Is 2C also a ABP seat. ????

I normally request (on line) 10C or 10D, and often get a telephone call asking the revent questions, but I think they know me well enough now.

Out of general interest this flight normally carries at least one extra cabin crew, sometimes two. (Not trainees.)

Lastly: I love the Monarch scheduled service, and am thinking of taking a long haul charter, but dread being in a normal seat. Is it possible with a charter operator to get the seat allocated by Monarch direct, rahter than via the charter. Does my Monarch Gold card have any clout in this area.

fokker
30th Oct 2003, 22:52
Having sat through hundreds of safety briefings, usually in uniform, IMHO anyone who continues to read his/ her paper/ book/ computer/ diary etc during this presentation is damn' rude and in all likelihood an ignorant w@nker who needs putting off the aircraft.

Kindly bear in mind that a 'request' from a member of the cabin crew comes with the authority of the Captain and is, therfore, a legally enforceable instruction. Continuing to argue just makes the perp. appear an even biger t1t.

Rant ends.

Bealzebub
2nd Nov 2003, 19:18
Seats 1D and 2C are Able bodied passenger seats. They are both located on the aisle of the B757 and are the forward most passenger seats located aft of Doors R1 and L1 respectively. In the case of both these seats they are separated from the respective exit areas by in the case of 2C a lavatory compartment, and in the case of 1D a galley cupboard and partition wall.

For take off and landing the floor areas in front of these seats would be required to be clear, indeed this is the case with all seat rows, however stowage in other cases may be satisfied by the area under the seat in front.

Passengers are asked to refrain from reading during the safety briefing. As others have stated it is ignorant and rude behaviour. Unfortunetaly it is a problem that all airlines encounter with a few passengers on each flight. It seems obvious to most people that the safety briefing ( which rarely takes more than a couple of minutes) is an opportunity to orient oneself with the exits and safety equipment even if you have flown the type concerned, the carrier, or that configuration and seating position many times before.

Emergency events are rare but when they do occur it is often with great suddenness and likely to result in disorientation and confusion even amongst the most experienced of crewmembers and passengers alike. The vital requirement in such a situation is to restore the best possible order to an adverse situation in the shortest possible time after the onset of an event. This is achieved by training ( practice) and familiarity. Crew are regularly trained and tested in their practical and theoretical knowledge. They are also trained and practiced in co-ordination skills.
Passengers can only be asked to refresh themselves with the safety aspects of an aircraft cabin before the start of each flight. Common sense suggests that the more that actually do, the greater likelyhood of a successful outcome in the event of an emergency. Those that refuse are in fact likely to impede the chances for others as well as themselves.

In this case I don't really think that insisting a newspaper be "stowed" for takeoff was absolutely necessary, however I can see how it might well have come about given the passengers seeming lack of awareness.

Tuba Mirum
4th Nov 2003, 00:36
On the subject of Able Bodied Passengers, is use of a hearing aid (in fact, two) considered a disqualification?