PDA

View Full Version : Landing clearance

alexban
27th Oct 2003, 17:23
Hy fellas
One question :
On final I was instructed by the app to contact the twr,but the controller from the twr was talking in his native language (in this case -french) with some other guy.I tried several times to get his attention(aprox 5 min),but ,for some unknown reason he didn't answer.
The weather was cavok, rwy clear,everything looks ok,freq was right.
What you expect a pilot to do in such a case,and what can be done to prevent this kind of disturbing event?
And what do you think of this:
landing on a foggy day, the app instructed us to announce 'rwy in sight'.This happened at around 500',and then he told us to contact the twr on 12..,..When we changed frq,and finnaly contact the twr 'twr good afternoon,.....' he answered 'a...go ahead' !!!
funny,isn't it? but not in the cockpit
:(
we sould be a team! :ok:

VinMan
27th Oct 2003, 17:40
I beg your pardon, but when you could'nt possibly break in on the frequency, the language that was used meant little.
WOuld it have been in javanese, interrupting the conversation and/or getting a reply would still have been the same problem IMHO.

For the other case, blatant inefficiency I'm afraid, and sorry about that, even if there's nothing I can do except work hard in my corner to keep an acceptable reputation ! :)

alexban
27th Oct 2003, 17:57
Well, vinman, I wasn't breaking in on the freq.I usuallly try not to. But what could i do? Stop the plane in the air and wait for 5-10 min,just to be polite? Or go around ,and apologise for not properly introduce myself?:D
I was under the impression that the twr should speak in english,and the landing traffic is it's priority.If I'm wrong,please correct me!
:ok:

niknak
27th Oct 2003, 20:24
You should go - around.

Even if the weather is good and you can see into space, you don't know if the atco has forgotton about you, and cleared a vehicle or another aircraft onto the runway, especially if they are talking in a language you don't understand.

Very poor professionalism from the atco concerned I agree, probably the best way to resolve it, is to file an mandatory occurance/safety report with your airline and national aviation authority.

FWA NATCA
27th Oct 2003, 23:18
Alex,

I agree with niknak, lacking a landing clearance you should execute a go around and perform the published missed approach procedure, and contact the approach control as soon as possible.

You never know when there may be a vechicle on the runway, an aircraft in position, or something crossing the runway.

I agree also that the ATCO displayed a lack of professionalism in ignoring your calls.

Mike
NATCA FWA

Spitoon
28th Oct 2003, 01:11
No question that there was a lack of professionalism in the examples alexban cited but the answer to the landing clearance question is simple - no clearance = go-around.

As to the language, ICAO requires the local language to be used for RTF or, alternatively, English.

Pedrofern
28th Oct 2003, 01:20
Hi, as you've been told go-around is the only option yo have without a landing clearance (under normal conditions) since you donīt know if any other traffic / vehicle has been cleared to use the runway.

And as they have also said it shows a very poor professionalism from the ATCO. Also I allways think these kind of things have to be talked in order to improve the service.

About the other question I understand you where under IFR rules and performing an instrumental approach, in which case I donīt know why the app ATCO requested you to report field in sight to change you with tower in the very last moment... you should have been changed with time enough to contact tower and get the landing clearance without hurry. Agains seems to me a bad job.

Bye

Short Approach?
30th Oct 2003, 15:59
7600 on the box, since thats' the situation you're in. Land at nearest available field... Which is straight ahead.

Open window. Erect middle finger on left hand and point it towards the tower. :cool:

tiggur
30th Oct 2003, 17:31
short approach
Presumably you would do that immediately before you prang into the smouldering heap of wreckage which may have been the cause of the atco's preoccupation?
If you did that at my unit, said digit would be forcibly introduced to another part of your anatomy.:ouch:

LostThePicture
30th Oct 2003, 17:40
7500 on the box, since thats' the situation you're in. Am I missing something? At what point did this become a hijack? Or do you use different SSR codes in Denmark? :uhoh:

DFC
30th Oct 2003, 21:16
From initial attempt to the tower, 5 minutes elapsed before communication was established. What happened to the flight in those 5 minutes?

Regards,

DFC

alexban
31st Oct 2003, 01:18
DFC:'what happened to the flight in those 5 min?'
well parking brake set,wait calmly for the twr to answer. :)
No ,actually,what distance do you think a plane will go in aprox 5 min,on final ,eventually with 5-10 kt headwind?

And Spitoon,I was under the impression ,that for traffic in flight ,english language should be used.For traffic on the ground,local language can be used for local flights. I maybe wrong,but ,I think in both situations,the use of a language not known by all the pilots it's potentially dangerous and should be avoided.
:O

Short Approach?
31st Oct 2003, 06:38
Am I missing something? At what point did this become a hijack? Or do you use different SSR codes in Denmark?

Ahhhmmm :O

Some MOD. must have changed that. I'm sure i wrote 7600 the first time. Damn those people :-)

ILS 119.5
2nd Nov 2003, 05:40
I agrre no landing clearance the go around and follow standard missed approach unless otherwise instructed. If an a/c is carrying out a low approach and go around for training then why do controllers is an instruction to clear an a/c for a go around. What's the point? What is th epilot expected to do?