PDA

View Full Version : The old and the new

BALIX
27th Oct 2003, 06:07
October 24th - I find my self (actually, I made sure I was there) on the Humber sector when G-BOAE accelerated to Mach 2.03 on its way up the North Sea on its penultimate commercial flight.

October 25th - I find myself on the Humber Sector again (not by design this time) working KLMs first B777 on its delivery flight into EHAM.

Let's face it, mass travel has won out over speed. :{

TrafficTraffic
28th Oct 2003, 16:06
I am interested in the excessive use of the word penultimate by our English brothers and sisters.

To continue the theory - do you use Twice or Two Times for example...

Twice today the Clacton Sector gave us aircraft that were not separated....

or

Two times today the Clacton sector gave us aircraft that were not separated....

:ouch:

Findo
28th Oct 2003, 16:15
Traffic what are you on at this time in the morning ?

:eek: :eek:

TrafficTraffic
28th Oct 2003, 20:00
....the examples were purely hypothetical......

How do you know it is morning? Where I am.

BALIX
28th Oct 2003, 20:08
Traffic

I don't mind you hijacking the thread as it was going nowhere anyway.

What, though, is wrong with the word penultimate? It sounds a damn sight better than saying 'on its next to the last commercial flight' don't you think?

As for the other examples I wouldn't say either as I don't do any sector that shares a boundary with the Clacton sector :E

TrafficTraffic
28th Oct 2003, 21:16
Hows about

2nd Last

:confused:

Findo
29th Oct 2003, 02:39
The use of penultimate appears to be the very accurate description of that particular flight.

The next flight was to be the last one to happen and was to be the ultimate flight. The next-to-last is the penultimate so that was correct.

You can try to find other ways to express the same but 2nd last, 2nd from last, 99th out of one hundred merely talk about a sequence which could continue i.e. the 2nd last today but lots more tomorrow.

Unless of course you are saying it wasn't the 2nd last because if there was another one then the flight Balix was working would have been the antepenultimate.

Pretty straightforward really :uhoh: :uhoh:

Iron City
29th Oct 2003, 21:40
Not if you are vocabulary challenged.

LostThePicture
29th Oct 2003, 22:20
Shouldn't that be "vocabularily challenged"?

ex-EGLL
30th Oct 2003, 04:21
Findo:

I take abuse every time I use the word penultimate over here in the colonies. Thanks for a new one "antepenultimate" to taunt the colonials with

ex-egll

The Obvious Choice
30th Oct 2003, 04:46
How is using a particular word ONCE excessive?

Very good word, infact the correct word.

TrafficTraffic
30th Oct 2003, 05:50
How is using a particular word ONCE excessive?

I only have one thing to say...

R e a d m y p o s t

Findo
30th Oct 2003, 18:58
Traffic I have just taken the R e a d m y p o s t advice.

I do apologise for butting in. I had not read the post properly and didn't see that it was aimed at "our English brothers ".

I'll stand back and let you savage the blighters ;) ;)

TrafficTraffic
30th Oct 2003, 23:03
And while we are here let me say what a pleasure it is dealing with the Scots in the Humber Sector. Aren't the Scottish great * people.......

......... *Lon?

av8boy
31st Oct 2003, 04:49
Shouldn't that be "vocabularily challenged"?
Yes. However, I'd hypenate it.... And that's the ultimate thing I'm going to say about it. :D

Dave

Findo
31st Oct 2003, 06:15
Traffic

Thanks for the kind words. We do have some Scots on Humber but we also have plenty of English and Irish and at least one semi Canadian.

Do I take it you are on a channel adjacent to us ?

:ooh:

BALIX
31st Oct 2003, 16:05
Do I take it you are on a channel adjacent to us ?

And if so, can we have climb on that Amsterdam outbound please :D

VectorLine
31st Oct 2003, 19:04
So, Traffic

I am Scottish, yet work a Swanwick sector abutting Masstricht UAR.

Am I still 'great'?

PS - a contingent of Swanwick ATCOS will be making a liason visit to the Masstricht Centre on Wednesday afternoon.

If you are at work, you will have ample opportunity to articulate your ideas on taffic presentation - face to face.

That is, if you dare break cover!

TrafficTraffic
31st Oct 2003, 21:19
I will be down visiting your side then....

LON dont tell them where.

But I send my regards to you all anyway.

Big KISS from TT

LOL ...dare to break cover

what could I expect a fate worse the a fate worse than death?

Lon More
1st Nov 2003, 22:03
TT The truth will out!!!

I didn't really believe that "Meeting finishes at 6, won't be able to make the flight excuse"; now we know why you've gone into hiding.

Thank God my memory's going - stay away another week and I may have forgotten you.

Lon More, or less

The Euronator
1st Nov 2003, 22:25
So where is Bournemouth ??,

Oh, I will just wait until TT gets back to find out;)

TrafficTraffic
2nd Nov 2003, 02:07
I wouldnt really say hiding I'm thinking of more of a Trojan Horse kind of thing....

Traffic..... I hear you say Join me....join me on the Dark Side

I note the touch of angst in your post there Lon, though the distance between us has been great I have felt the disturbance in the force as you have missed my undying loyalty and consumate professionalism on the sector, my quick witted retorts to your fellow supervisors and the crisper (where we keep all the vegetables(you figure it out!)). My vigilence over the roster and the many evil things that team 2 do to it.

So I shall boldly go where no TrafficTraffic has been before..........

It just so happens that I will miss our friends.....give em a kiss for me will you .....you are from Glasgow aren't you? :ouch: :)

Lon More
3rd Nov 2003, 05:21
TT In your case a Trojan contraceptive would be more appropriate, however go with the whispering, in fact, just go.

Many things have changed, young friend, since you last graced us with your presence; unfortunately I have an appointment with the dark force known as Le Shuttle on Wednesday so will be unable to witness your triumpnant re-entry. I see ,in another thread that you send a young apprentice from your far off homeland, may the force be strong in this one'

Lon