PDA

View Full Version : Flying through a MATZ

and the chap said
8th Feb 2001, 00:33
G'day folks,

I'm a little confused about what to do when flying through a MATZ. Trevor Thom Air Law(1998 edition) says :
"When penetrating a Military Air Traffic Zone (MATZ), the pilot will normally be given the Aerodrome QNH to enable vertical seperation between a/c. If there is more than one aerodrome in a combined....blah blah blah... clutch QNH".

However, the PPL Confuser states quite clearly that QFE must be set. It says this twice. The Confuser is confusing me!
Which do I believe or are there different rules for different situations and I'm missing the point?

Any advice from those wiser than me (so that's pretty much everyone, I guess) is much appreciated.

Thanks,
ATCS

[This message has been edited by and the chap said (edited 07 February 2001).]

BEagle
8th Feb 2001, 01:19
Unfortunately, we in the military have changed the altimeter setting procedures rather more frequently than some aviation publications could keep up with. We used to be 100% QFE, then we went 100% QNH but the pointy-heads couldn't cope with that, so we went back to QFE!! Basically, should you need to enter a MATZ, nowadays you'll be given the QFE and be expected to fly on that. Incidentally, you don't HAVE to request MATZ penetration as a MATZ is only Class G. But you DO have to recognise the associated ATZ. Some military aerodromes (e.g. Brize Norton and Lyneham) have Class D Control Zones rather than MATZs; the normal rules for entering Class D airspace then apply. To make it really confusing, flight within the Brize Norton Control Zone is by QFE, but some civil aircraft use QNH...and the zone has a limit of 3500' QNH, but most RAF aircraft still change from QFE to SPS at 3000' QFE........AARRGH!!!!

and the chap said
8th Feb 2001, 13:59
Hi BEagle

Thanks for your informative update, I appreciate your time. For a minute, I thought I was looking at typo, but It's clearer now.

Cheers,
ATCS

Lucifer
8th Feb 2001, 14:47
And to confuse it more, the MATZ as defined by CAA is 3nm and 3000', whereas the military define it as 5 nm and 3000'. (So they'll love you if you call further out than you would normally for a crossing)

GJB
8th Feb 2001, 18:03
It is always a good idea, on your initial call, to indicate your altitude, or FL AND pressure setting. That let's the controller know what you are doing and will facilitate their task in passing accurate clearance information.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Feb 2001, 02:36
Legally, a MATZ is entirely advisory for civilian traffic so long as you stay outside of the actual ATZ (2000 x 2.5nm).

However, common sense and good practice say - call up in plenty of time, ask for a service, and set whatever they ask you to set. In my experience that is usually QNH if transiting high, and QFE if transiting low or joining.

G