PDA

View Full Version : What was it?

Deb
24th Oct 2003, 21:53
Just before noon on Tuesday 21 Oct, we were doing a bit of bird watching in the Albufera Park, Alcudia Majorca, when a Mytravel aircraft passed overhead, decending into Palma, with what looked like a very large rope or cable attached, which was flapping about. Have MYT gone in for midair refueling or had they been towing a glider??? Seriously, it was rather a frightening sight and were all quite concerned. Can somebody please let us know what this was.

Thank you.

Memetic
27th Oct 2003, 06:15
Don't suppose you had a camera or video camera as part of your bird spotting kit and got a pic of this did you?

lomapaseo
27th Oct 2003, 09:57
Sounds like a contrail from a vortex off a wing tip in moist air.

Deb
27th Oct 2003, 16:46
Thanks for your replies. Sorry no pictures - it was a bit too far away for my instamatic!! But it certainly looked more solid than vapour or "waste pipe" droplets.

GrantT
27th Oct 2003, 23:46
Deb, what colour was this "large rope or cable" and where did the object seem to originate from on the plane? If it was white and came from the flap/wing area then i think lomapaseo's explanation is the most likely, as can be seen here http://www.airliners.net/open.file/275794/L/

Deb
28th Oct 2003, 22:01
Thanks Grant - I think you are probably right. The light was very poor on the day in question and this probably contributed to the illusion.

Thanks again for all your replies and sorry to be such an "anorak".

Deb