PDA

View Full Version : Airline Research

TCAS2
24th Oct 2003, 05:19
To anyone that can help.
Being a newcomer to this website, I wonder if I could ask you all for your help.:confused:

Being recently trained as a CPL/IR with low hours I have sent off to a number of airlines regarding 1st/2nd officer positions.
However, researching these airlines has become fairly difficult as I can't seem to find information on who the Chief Pilots/ MD's etc are and any other relevant information.
I know that the airline web pages have a certain amount of this but how else can this information be obtained, (sites, etc).
I would be very pleased of any info whatsoever.
thanks
TC2:ok:

topcat450
26th Oct 2003, 17:46
check ya PMs...:ok:

Genghis the Engineer
26th Oct 2003, 18:55
Not my side of the industry, but I'm guessing that most interviewers will be more impressed by an in-depth knowledge of routes, airports and the aircraft flown than who the Chief Pilot is. That information should be easier to track down - although collating and learning it might not be.

G

Pilot Pete
26th Oct 2003, 21:00
TCAS2

You are right to research the airlines that you are (have) applied to. Try financial publications and is it Yahoo! that has a good business site? That will get some of the info. Also look at company publications, like inflight magazines, in-house newspapers and the like. Ask sweetly on these pages and you may find some willing to help.

The biggest and best way to get info is to get an inside source, so if you are not networking at the moment you are letting yourself down. I know guys who have made contacts in many, many airlines and they get up to date info very quickly and easily as well as getting the lowdown on the recruitment process.

IMHO I would also encourage you to find out about route structures, pilot basing opportunities, working and roster practices, get familiar with the basics of FTLs (CAP371) and think about what YOU can offer the airline, much better at interview.

Best of luck

PP

TCAS2
29th Oct 2003, 22:59
Thanks PP. A very nice piece of information thats greatly appreciated. The only reason that I chose the Chief Pilot as an example question was because I was asked it at an interview once before.
I agree that route structures etc are far more important in reality, but some times you just need to play the game and find out the information which they want you to know
As for networking, I am having loads of trouble. The number of people that I know at the moment in the airline industry, I can count on one hand, and they haven't completed their line training yet. If you have any hints then I would greatly appreciate any advice.
As for topcat, please forgive my ignorance but what are PM's?? In my industry it means planned maintenance and if its a common abbreviation on pprune then I opologise in advance.

Thanks all again for the replies anyway
TC2:ok: :ok:

strafer
29th Oct 2003, 23:55
TCAS2,

I'll answer on Topcat's behalf - PM's stand for Private Messages. If you look at the top of the screen, you'll see a shortcut called 'user cp'. Click on that and page down to see the message TP's sent you.

Any other info you want regarding job opportunities can probably be found on pprune somewhere - you'll be amazed what you can find with the search facility. I'd also recommend checking out www.ppjn.com

Sounds interesting TP - can I have one too?