PDA

View Full Version : Dunsfold - is it or isn't it?

DBChopper
24th Oct 2003, 03:33
Just a quickie, this one...

I'm planning a little hop from Redhill to Goodwood, but does anyone know if Dunsfold is still active? It's not in my Pooleys and no ATZ is shown on my quarter mil, but it seems prudent to ask as I'll either overfly or pass by...

Thanks in anticipation.

DBChopper
:ok:

Timothy
24th Oct 2003, 03:38
It's very closed. :{ :{ :{ :{ :{

W

Speedbird252
24th Oct 2003, 03:42
nope as said Dunsfold is sadly not an option - If you want a FIS or better talk to those lovely chaps and chapesses at Farnborough on 125.25.

F`boro will probably ask you to freecall Goodwood at about Haslemere / midhurst depending on how you route around Gatwick, but it should be pretty straight forward.

If your planning on eating at Goodwood, Farnborough may offer to book you a table and offer you a menu service on receipt of your credit card details.

Ahhh im only kidding.....

Regards

Speedy:ok:

IO540
24th Oct 2003, 03:48
Last I heard is that Dunsfold is open only to customers of the company that now owns it. I also heard more recently that they want to open it up - doubtless there will be the usual planning issues.

Daifly
24th Oct 2003, 04:16
I thought that Dunsfold was reopening? They were promoting themselves as Dunsfold Park with loads of hangar/operating space?

ISTR that the planning issues are not a problem as the original planning permission (issued in about 1939) was for ONLY airport or farming use. So, QED, you could reasonably argue that it's been an airfield since then and there's nothing that the locals could really do - can't remember the exact legal term, but there is one for continued use over a period of time.

I also STR that the locals were told when the place was sold that they would be very involved in any future developments there.

Would be a big shame if the place didn't reopen for aviation use, so much has happened there in the past and it's a huge runway with plenty of scope for continuation. One would hope!

zalt
24th Oct 2003, 04:17
Isn't Dunsfold the home to 'Top Gear' now?

Tall_guy_in_a_152
24th Oct 2003, 04:24
The CAA chart amendment service lists Dunsfold as active, effective 13/03/2003

"Amend Dunsfold Aerodrome to active status, Posn 510702N 0003209W, ELEV 180ft ".

It still makes a great visual reference for the Redhill to Goodwood route (also one of my regular trips, as it happens) but be aware that there may be landing or departing traffic. It is essential to keep a very good lookout in that busy area anyway.

TG.

http://www.caa.co.uk/dap/dapcharts/amendmentlist.asp?chart=11

Evo
24th Oct 2003, 04:30
We were recently offered hangar space at Dunsfold, so it seems to be open (with a few restrictions...) :ok:

AerBabe
24th Oct 2003, 05:06
PW and I ended up at Dunsfold a couple of months ago. We asked a guy who worked there about it, and he seemed to think it was possible to land there, but that we'd need to contact the owners.

He also said that Top Gear wouldn't be filmed there any more... Apparently with some relief on the Dunsfold side!

zalt
24th Oct 2003, 05:34
A quick bit of research - it seems this is the only airfield Surrey County Council are prepared to let be developed.
See also: http://www.dunsfoldpark.com/index2.html

DBChopper
24th Oct 2003, 12:44
Thanks for the replies folks.

So the consensus seems to be that it's closed, except when it's not :confused:

On the basis that it still seems to be being used, ATZ or not, I'll give it a wide berth. In any case, I don't want an airmiss with a low flying Clarkson...

:E

Another_CFI
24th Oct 2003, 16:55
If you want to check if Dunsfold is active try giving Dunsfold Radio a call on 119.10. From what I have been told you can expect activity Monday to Friday from 8 to 8 and Saturday from 8 to 3.

DBChopper
25th Oct 2003, 02:34
Another_CFI,

Thanks for that - frequency duly added to my plog.