PDA

View Full Version : Emirates payscale?

Rieke
23rd Oct 2003, 15:22
EK invited my for an interview as Direct entry captain. They have very high requirements ( more then 10.000 hrs, lot of command hrs-you have to pass a five days assesment). Thats all ok but than I saw the offered salary:23.000 DHS equal to 5300.- Euro!!
Thats is all? Accomodation and medical is free. Can anybody tell me more? If you are without a job it is a lot of money but if you have a high senority in a company in europe and want to change to EK due to several reason I guess you really have to think about.

kinsman
23rd Oct 2003, 16:43
Just out of interest why do they make the interview process so long and complicated? It occurs to me someone has a little empire to protect! It should not take so long to determine if a guy is good enough, a Sim' ride and an interview should be enough.

Wet Power
23rd Oct 2003, 17:00
Totally agree, Kinsman.

When I was out in Dubai, there were well proven, perfectly sound, type-rated with command on type (etc, etc) guys who they wouldn't even offer a right hand seat position.

I, personally, think it says more about Emirates than the guys involved.

moggie
23rd Oct 2003, 17:17
€5300 tax free. Plus free accomodation and utility bills. Plus telphone bill paid. Plus travel allowance to work. Plus excellent relocation package. Plus "furniture allowance" on arrival. Plus excellent pension package. Plus plus plus.

Don't forget the 2002 profit share was 8 weeks tax free salary bonus for every employee in the company (€10,600 tax free in this case).

Look at the WHOLE package and see what it means in REAL terms.

James T. Kirk
23rd Oct 2003, 17:24
Emirates selection certainly seems less than consistent. They have just hired two colleagues of mine. One is a very good guy, a captain with lots of experience and natural ability. The other is a real twit. He was assessed as unsuitable for command, he’s a walking CRM disaster area and he used to expose himself to the cabin crew. There were several of our captains who refused to fly with him but after five days of the selection process Emirates decided that he’s just the sort of guy they want.

Oh well!!!

Kirk out…

Max Angle
23rd Oct 2003, 18:53
The other is a real twit. He was assessed as unsuitable for command, he’s a walking CRM disaster area So your airlines recruitment procedure leave something to be desired as well then.

crisidebrian
23rd Oct 2003, 19:26
5300€??
That's what I earn (take home) in summer as F/O, add 3000€ for a captain (in winter about 2000€ less than that, but just working 5 to 8 days a month).
What about the salary of a F/O at EK?

James T. Kirk
23rd Oct 2003, 19:32
Certainly does Max but it's a lot quicker.

Phil Squares
23rd Oct 2003, 21:57
Ok I give up!! Was just put on the "standby list" for an interview next week. Does anyone know what that means? Also, any "off the wall" questions in the interview.

I also agree at looking at the "big picture". Will go through the interview and see what happens. Of course, I don't have to take the job if offered,

PS. If someone has additional info, please PM me.
:)

mrben
23rd Oct 2003, 22:16
Strange considering Emirates are supposed to be the best Airline in the world.

Airbubba
23rd Oct 2003, 23:00
For some nationalities EK is indeed the promised land.

We Americans could never pass the tests nor take the (post 911) cut in pay...

Caractacus
24th Oct 2003, 00:32
>>Was just put on the "standby list" for an interview next week. Does anyone know what that means? <<

I have been in the "Hold pool" since June. I haven't heard a dickie bird since.

Does anyone know the timescale for being chosen for interview?

Also, would it help to pay a personal visit to the recruiting office in Dubai?

wwIIace
24th Oct 2003, 07:46
each airline has its own style of recruitment. you find that most people that dont like that style are ones that have been unsuccessful. there recruitment procedure like most big airlines is good and successful. sounds like sour grapes from some but generally, EK is a successful airline, with expansion, and those that want to go there and are successful, whether DEC or not, will go. you will always find people here on prune that have tall poppy syndrome and are jealous

upspilot
24th Oct 2003, 08:20
What is TOP captain pay at Emirates? Still just €5300 after 10 years?

kinsman
25th Oct 2003, 04:21
Hate to burst your bubble wwIIace but I have not been to EK and have no great desire to. I have attended and passed this type of interview process in the past and it has it's place if you want cadets but there are better ways of screening qualified pilots if you know what you are doing!

Trouble is HR types create little empires for themselves and often know little about aviation or pilots. However, I agree if you want the job then you will of course jump through the hoops, I guess I and others just don't want the job! Good luck to those who do.
:ok:

fire wall
25th Oct 2003, 04:54
wwIIace, hate to burst your bubble son but I passed the EK interview in 1996 and turned the offer down so it certainly isn't sour grapes that motivates this comment............ but it was without a shadow of a doubt the worst interview process I have ever been involved in.
The tech exam was a walk in the park, the psych was some test written in Bristol in 1850, the lego games were juvenille, and the 2 vs 1 interview was a farcical good cop / bad cop arrangement...........at least till I started asking them some hard questions ......... talk about crinkle lips.

visitor
25th Oct 2003, 13:42
I just want to say something very simple but strange

we had two chaps employed by previous managment who we where veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy pleased to hear they where leaving
they where two IM THE BEST characters one of them a crm desaster and guess who took them on- emirates

the reallity is that i dont really think they ever passed a selection,they just got in because they had some good contacts with in,i know from first hand

good luck in the desert
:ouch:

skibeagle
26th Oct 2003, 04:32
Rieke, consider this as well: as a DEC at EK, you shall likely be working with guys in the right seat who really should be aircraft commanders at EK, if not Training Captains or management !

The very recent introduction of direct entry commands has undermined the position many pilots thought they were in at Emirates. I have no problem with someone being by pased for requiring more experience, but I do have a problem with someone with 12,000 hours, 8,000 on transport jets, years of management and training experience with a now defunct international airline, being told they have insufficient experience to be a wide-body DEC.

Now I could wax lyrical and say something like "if you write your contract in the sand etc..." but I feel for these guys. And I too turned them down a few years ago, so you can forget the sour grapes take also. Do you really want to join a firm that will likely end up where Cathay and Gulf Air are now ? Delightfully high moral there wouldn't you say ? And for those of you who are going to start telling me how great EK is, just remember, we were saying that about Royal Brunei and Gulf Air fifteen years ago...

Capt Groper
27th Oct 2003, 18:26
Yes the overall package may appear attractive but don't forget about the cost of living here!

The Government increases it's charges dramatically (an indirect taxation method). for example.

Payements for Visas for children being educated overseas, Drm10,000+ payment for a maids visa, car regestration fees increase by 25% every year, etc. there are many hidden costs that need to be taken into account. School fees above the maximum company allowance.

A few years ago the Central bank announced that the cost of living have risen over 25% in 10 years During that period the EK salary had only increased by approx half that amount.

Don't count on a retirement package that will make life comfortable after 60. The Nationals have already opted out of the pension scheme for another package they're offered, (I believe % based on their last salary and not available for the expats).

So do your sums before you buy a bucket and spade for you adventure in the sand pit.

:cool: :suspect:

Check 'Six'
28th Oct 2003, 04:50
Here goes!!

Ten years ago the F/O salay was 14,700 Dhs. Today it's 16,700Dhs. With a family? Dont even think of saving till you get command.

Command initial salary is approximately 23,000Dhs. I have been on skippers pay for six years. My salary 29,400 Dhs. My provident fund over this period is worth 110,000. US (Ten years contributions i.e. Company 12% and me 5% of basic pay, soon the change over, at precisely 10 years service. Company 15% contributions and me still 5%)

Top notch on pay scale = 39000 Dhs. I still have 11 years to go.

Yes, accomodation, schooling and utilities paid for!! Let me ask you all this question, if the above was not paid for, who would come and live here?

Furthermore, all non EK pilots, where do they live? At home, paying for THEIR OWN HOMES, which take on an investment value of some sort!!!!

Medical cover!! When I leave this place one day, I have to pay for my own medical cover. Therefore I have to start paying for something today, because by the time I reach the golden years with my missus it will be a prohibitive amount!

Pension, I have to make provisions for that too. Because the provident fund will certainly not cover much of anything, at the rate it's going.

And finally, a home somewhere to live one day, all of this from EK salary and pay for living expenses in Dubai in the meantime! I too will have to find a high paying, commuting job at some point. As a matter of fact, about right now will be quite good, because commuting when older must be tougher, that's the impression that I have.

You can only take so much of the holiday resort lifestyle that this place lures us into!! At some point in time we will all have to start living in the "real world" again, whether we like it or not!!

Regards and Check Six.