PDA

View Full Version : Importing an aircraft

mikeo
23rd Oct 2003, 05:29
Does anyone know what legal steps are required to import an aircraft to the UK and put it on the CAA register from a European register (with a European CofA).

I think I can get a cheaper deal buying my own aircraft from Europe than in the UK but not sure how much it will cost!

Thanks in advance

IO540
23rd Oct 2003, 14:54
This happened to mine (came from France). It has to be de-registered from the foreign country first, is grounded (in the UK) while that is going on, and is then re-registered with the CAA. The CAA have to inspect it to issue the CofA.

I don't know a lot more because I didn't do the paperwork personally but do be very careful especially if it is secondhand.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Oct 2003, 15:48
Although the ICAO CofA standard in any country is satisfactory for overflight, for re-registration most countries (the UK included) have conducted their own approval of the type, and will have their own build standard.

You've not stated what type you're looking at, and perhaps you don't know yet, but in any country the build standard is defined in a document called the "Type Certificate Data Sheet" or TCDS. I'd recommend getting hold of both the UK and foreign TCDS for the type you're considering and looking at the differences.

What will then be needed to satisfy UK CAA will be:-

- Confirmation from a competent person or organisation (LAME, JAR-145 or JAR-21-JA company usually) that the aircraft has been modified to the UK approved standard.
- Confirmation from a competent person or organisation (LAME or JAR-145 company) that the aircraft is now fully up to the maintenance and documentation standards of a UK public transport CofA
- De-register in the current country of registration, re-register in the new one.

This is all off the top of my head, and I don't work for CAA - so I would confirm this with the local CAA regional office. Is it cheaper than buying in the UK? - no idea, only you can work that out when you've confirmed the size of task for the individual aeroplane.

G

ToryBoy
23rd Oct 2003, 15:50
Do make sure that the engine is under a certain age and hourage. I'm not sure what the exact figure is although I think it's less than 7 years old and under 1500 hrs.

This is only the case if you actuall want to transfer it onto the G reg.

Please don't take these figures as gospel but I was nearly caught out by this whole saga when I nearly bought a nice German registered Cherokee 235 last year. It was about 25% cheaper than its UK counterparts and in beautiful condition.

The payment nearly went through and I fortunately took some advice just beforehand and suddenly pulled up and gave up on it as a bad idea.

A good contact for finding out about German reg a/c is the company who advertise in Flyer mag. I think its called Small World Aviation or something and the guy who runs it is very helpful.

Hope I haven't put you off, just recounting my experiences.

Edited to say:

Oh and another thing is make sure it hasn't had any kind of modification whilst it has been abroad. If it has this will most probably have to be corrected before the CAA will accept it. When I say "modification" I mean even the tinyest thing gets them all excited so do your homework.

If I ever bought abroad I would probably just keep it on its home registration and jump through the hoops each year to keep it airworthy from an engineer abroad.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Oct 2003, 15:55
One other thing I just thought of, you'll need all the UK-approved operating manuals, which may be different to those in another country.

G

Oscar Duece
23rd Oct 2003, 16:32
Has JAA harmonized anything ??, apart from forcing us all to buy mode S in 2008.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Oct 2003, 17:02
Yes, anything less than about 20 years old will have been certified to the same safety rules anywhere in Europe - specifically JAR-23 for most light aircraft. So, all that you're worrying about it local differences in interpretation.

Prior to that, each country had it's own completely unique set of safety requirements and for a private individual the whole task was virtually impossible.

Softlee softlee catchey monkee !

G

Flyin'Dutch'
23rd Oct 2003, 18:32
If I read the regulations regarding the engine hours correctly; the limitation that is mentioned here only applies if you want to put the aircraft on PT CofA; not if you go for the Pvt Cat.

I was quoted about 500 pounds for the conversion onto the G if all is well, plus any remedial work needed to satisfy the surveyor of the CAA.

There is a difference in standards between what is acceptable to some local non UK outfits and the CAA Surveyors.

As per always; Caveat Emptor.

There is obviously the option of operating the machine on the current registration although this does have some limitations. Getting the annual may involve a trip once a year to its home grounds and overflying other states with a licence from someone other than the registered aircrafts one is potentially difficult.

HTH

FD

ToryBoy
23rd Oct 2003, 20:27
My advice (for what it's worth)......................buy a G reg and be happy without the hassle.

QDMQDMQDM
23rd Oct 2003, 21:22
I nearly did it, but had to pull out because of the hassles there would have been with the particular aircraft concerned. Take good advice and talk tot he relevant person at the CAA. While they do like to make problems where many of us don't think should be there, they are very open in telling you the likely problems you will face.

Also, you'll need a starter warning light. I have heard it is £2-3K for an uncomplictaed addition to the G-reg.

zalt
24th Oct 2003, 00:03
Can anyone confirm the effect of EASA's standards on this process?

DFC
24th Oct 2003, 03:44
IMHO, keep the aircraft on the D or F or whatever register and fly it anywhere in the world using your JAR licence.

For maintenance, simply get the appropriate authority to confirm that your chosen JAR maintenance organisation is acceptable.

There are quite a few F and D reg aircraft based in the UK.

Regards,

DFC

IO540
24th Oct 2003, 03:47
Also worth considering, while going through the paperwork, is the N-reg option. MUCH more useful than any other if you want to get a full IR one day (an IR is highly desirable for outside the UK). This topic has been well covered here...

mikeo
24th Oct 2003, 04:43
Thanks for your replies - very useful. The aircraft I had in mind is a Cessna 150 on a Belgian C of A, from an airfield that I used to fly from for 2 years. The cost is much less than the G reg price (assuming the average for a C150 is say £15,000), so there is a bit of cash to play with to cover importing costs and surveys.

I asked at my local maintenance hanger and for a private CofA the engine can go up to 2,500 hours and then more if it passes compression tests, etc.

I had hoped that EASA would have made things more equal! Jobs for the boys or what!

I will call the CAA and ask. I read on the CAA web site that re-registration is £50 - but there is no mention of a survey! If I proceed I presume I can legally fly it back from Belgium to the UK?

I would like to get it onto the G reg so that I can sell it in the future.

I have also heard that the N reg option is more flexible with regard to maintenance, but I still want to be able to sell it in the future as easily as possible.

Regards
mikeo

Thanks

flyingfemme
24th Oct 2003, 15:32
Don't do it for a C150 Mikeo. The costs associated with changing register will be several thousand pounds. For a "cheaper" aircraft the costs are such a high percentage of the value that it is rarely worth it.

If your C150 is Belgian registered you will need an export c of a from the Belgian authorities - I don't know what that involves, or how much it costs, but it needs to be done before you bring it over here.

When you get here, you deregister the aircraft (so it cannot fly until the process is finished) and apply to the CAA for registration. You will need a full star annual performed, plus whatever little "changes" the CAA demand (starter warning light, low voltage lights, whatever), plus all ADs up to date. Add on the registration fees, the c of a fees and the costs of getting the CAA to make you up a new POH.

Typically the process takes a couple of months and, at least £2000 for a small aircraft. Often it is 3 or 4k.

Spend 20k on a nice G reg aircraft and save yourself the aggravation. Once your little Cessna is deregistered you are entirely at the mercy of the engineers and the CAA - they always make you suffer.

Oscar Duece
24th Oct 2003, 17:19
Is this the £ 9k cessna, someones trying to palm off in the Uk market. The words bargain and aircraft have no place together.
:} :} :} :} :} :} :}

IO540
24th Oct 2003, 17:48
I must agree with flyingfemme - unless the seller is a complete mug this cannot be worth doing.

There are so many issues with buying a used plane especially one of that age - in aviation there is no systematic way to locate all records of the maintenance history (unless all maintenance over all those years has been done by the same firm - most unlikely) and this is going to verge on the impossible with something imported.

I know a few people who have bought sub-20k planes and they've all had 5k-10k annuals since, and that's on a UK-purchased plane. You buy cheap and then spend the money on maintenance - unless you get lucky (which some do) there is no way around this.

mikeo
25th Oct 2003, 15:53
Oscar Duece - that's the one :*

Flyingfemme - thanks for your thoughts :ugh:

Well I guess it's back to saving up some more for a G reg! Maybe a PFA type will do me :E