PDA

View Full Version : completed my qualifying x/c today

andyb79
21st Oct 2003, 07:51
i eventually got it done and i would like to thank glasgow,prestwick,edinburgh and dundee aproach for all the help i got (especially prestwick for the straight in to the non active rwy and dundee for just being so damn freindly!) it was a great day for it, and all went well but i wouldnt recommend prestwick to dundee (1.2 hours in the seat of a katana aint comfy!!!) but all in all i am on a bit of a high here. Eventually the end is in sight hopefully the skills test should be less than a month away i dont know what else to say about it except what a great feeling,oh and sorry glasgow for when i dialed in the wrong squak:O but other than that what a day

Max AirFactor
21st Oct 2003, 15:28
Well done! Many people seem to rate this above the 1st solo. And your flight goes to show that everyone en-route wants to help to make it a great day. Shame the weather god is not so generous. I'm on no-go number 6 which is nothing I'm told.

Good luck with the rest of it.

MAF

YYZ
21st Oct 2003, 15:46
Congrats:ok:

Hope the weather holds up for your test?

Northern Highflyer
21st Oct 2003, 17:54
Well done Andy, and from what you say it sounds like Scotland may be worth a flying visit (pun intended) next summer. :ok:

RichyRich
21st Oct 2003, 19:30
Quote:
Well done! Many people seem to rate this above the 1st solo.
/Quote

I certainly do. Only I think because by then you've got more experience, are a bit more relaxed, and able to take in the experience. The first solo just sort of wizzed past.

The Phoenix Rises
21st Oct 2003, 19:49
Hi Andy:

Congratulations!

TP

MikeeB
21st Oct 2003, 21:05
I rated my QXC a lot higher than my first solo. In fact my first solo was a bit of an anti climax tbh.

However, the feeling I got when I returned "home" after my QXC was one of relief and achievement

I flew into East Midlands on my first leg, and they really couldn't have done more to help me.

Even got a quick look around, which was great, because you get to see things from the other side of the fence so to speak.

Had a small discussion with the instructor before I set off, saying that all the runways configurations would be new to me due to the wind. Got told "you'll be fine, now ****** off" (in a nice way). Had a nice approach into E.Mids over Donnington Race track, and then a straight in at Humberside.

Waddington went home as I left E.Mids, and I got the question "will you be okay without them... stay on this freq. until you can talk to Humberside anyway".

All very helpful people. It made for a very nice 3-4 hours :)

andyb79
21st Oct 2003, 21:51
i would definatly rate the cross country above my first solo the solo as great as it was only lasts about 5 minutes and that time is spent either grinning like an idiot or absolutly s*****g yourself or in my case rapidly changing between both emotions but the qualifying x/c gets you up there in to thick of it (i ended up with a 737 decending to 1,000 ft directly above me thank god they warned me about it!) at a time when you feel a lot more confident in your own abilites as a pilot so you have the chance to relax a bit more and enjoy making your own decisions as well as grinning like an idiot:D