PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet Good or Bad?

oriental
18th Apr 2001, 22:34
Just had an offer of employment for Easyjet and am trying to get the low down.

More money and better equipment than I'm on now, but need to get more info on working conditions, rosters ( and roster turbulence ), crewing and training difficulties before I commit.

Don't want this thread to become a slanging match just some general opinions and comments would be appreciated.

Cheers.

eezypilot
18th Apr 2001, 22:59
oriental

I have been at easy for 18 months and list below some honest facts about easy

rosters seem to be the factor getting everybody down. They are always late.They are considered a working document to be changed at will. Up to 40 changes per month!Lots of night flying now and returning home at unsociable hours.IE a scheduled airline with a charter lifestyle!!! Commercial launch extra night flights without consulting the workforce who have to operate them. The pay is only adequate and not in line with managements claim to be an industry leader. The share issue is ok for admin staff who get up to 5 years salary equivalent in allocation but pilots get about 1 years salary equivalent, and also less allocation than aforementioned admin staff who I would consider lower in the food chain. Also not sure if new pilots get an allocation. There also seems to be an anti pilot mentality, I,m sure other posts will confirm this. Finally ,no night stops so no time down route to see the places you fly to. Call me a cynic, but thats a perk of being an airline pilot!!!!
Having said that, if you are in Singa looking for direct entry command in UK it may be for you ....for a short time

Orangewing
18th Apr 2001, 23:04
Hear,Hear, eezypilot.
Oriental, all I can say is look at 'terms and endearments'. Best of Luck.

chilled
18th Apr 2001, 23:25
eezypilot

Heard the other day that night stops will be returning as the summer goes on, due to route expansion.

Hope it's true!!

See you on line some time :)

Happy flying all :)

nice_beaver
19th Apr 2001, 00:27
oriental,

to put some other perspective on it...

i've been with EZY >2 yrs and i've never heard of 40 changes to a roster. True they often come out late and can be subject to change ( show me somewhere that isn't ) but that is cos they are "vetted" by management to try to ensure the terms of the new crew contribution policy are being met.
this week i've worked mon - fri ( so 2 weekends off )with 14 sectors all starting @1200z and finishing latest @19.30z
night flights are a fact of life if you want the company to fully utilise its assets and keep you employed but only form a relatively small part of the roster and mostly in summer.
LTN people seem to more upset than LPL were most are happy.
Its not the promised land BUT IMHO its not the hell some people would have you believe.
If you e-mail me i can try to answer more specifics but not here.

NB

aviator57
19th Apr 2001, 00:38
Nice Beaver ? Looking to move into management or training or does brown noseing come naturally . The reply to the first post was not to far from the truth .BALPA RECOGNITION NOW UP TO 52%this should prove interesting from a company that prides itself in being so good to its employees that unions are unnecessary.I've watched my son go steadily down hill since joining the company.Buyer beware!!!

LatviaCalling
19th Apr 2001, 01:00
My last posting somehow got mixed up with yours. It was not intended. I've asked PPruNe to delete it. Cheers.

southern softy
19th Apr 2001, 01:08
very much in agreement with Nice beaver.
In fact I think its a great company with the usual problems all airline pilots face.(never had 40 roster changes in 4 months never mind one)

fly4fud
19th Apr 2001, 01:35
and any one of you Easy guys flying out of GVA? Heard you only fly to 4 (four...) different destinations, is that true??

------------------
... cut my wings and I'll die ...

cap360
19th Apr 2001, 02:37
I have worked for EZY since the beginning, they have always given false promises about life style, bases, & rosters. Recently I have had several rosters with only 6 days off in 28 days! Last year the fleet averaged 87 days off per annum the rest is made up from your leave. I have had, so many memo's about roster initiatives, the latest hit the paper bin before I read the headline. IT CAN BE suspended at any time by the management. It does not form any part of your terms and conditions. IT IS WORTHLESS…. Ask any of the Scottish, Dutch, or Greeks how they got shafted out of their promised bases! As he gasps for air do not worry it is not his iron lung giving up, Just Take Six Paces Back and duck… And Not to forget the LPL Captains THEY ARE NOT WORTH AS MUCH AS A LTN captain, that’s according to the management's new pay offer. Back to the plot…..
They will work you 6 days on then 2 off, for years we have had the minimum hours required off, more often than not finishing after 22:00, then on earlies after a days off.
Last summer to make profits before pre-floatation, we had to work to the limit of CAP 371, this was put out to us in a letter at the start of the summer, Legal but reckless….
After the program fell apart they had to wet lease, an aircraft and crew for several months, the rosters still remained S%*T,and to top it all the leased crews were given the Palma night stop. with 24 hrs in PMI they could not understand our problem! It’s a shame it only lasted the whole summer.
while we have sufficient crews it is not good, when we become short, after the new aircraft arrive and the loss of yet more flight crews, it will be hell, yet again.
Why do I stay ? you may ask, well after leaving a good job, with the seniority, moving the kids into new schools, the cost of moving was horrendous…. Never mind, I must not moan it's not orange, brown more like… the few posting I've placed on before have been very accurate, so my friend pass this offer by, that is unless you like the taste of a bitter grapefruit, to a sweet jaffa…

Gorilla
19th Apr 2001, 02:53
cap360.......thanks for your candour.......I assume it's not all strawberries & roses then!

Wig Wag
19th Apr 2001, 10:47
Anyone care to mention how successful the much trumpeted £30000 bonus for type rated Captains was?

Did easyJet recruit many Captains with this ploy?

cap360
19th Apr 2001, 13:05
"strawberries & roses" only what they grow in!!!!

The deal to attract Captains has a few takers but the official line is "we met our targets" .
In my opinion it may have been a fast a moving target….the new pay deal has made sure the morale was rock bottom and should stay there. Across the fleet.

If this is what we have to endure while we are in demand, what the hell is going to happen when we are a surplus to requirement…… There is Nothing Like A Good Airline, with good pay and conditions, And THIS IS NOTHING LIKE A GOOD AIRLINE.

cap360
19th Apr 2001, 13:07
"strawberries & roses" only what they grow in!!!!

The deal to attract Captains has a few takers but the official line is "we met our targets" .
In my opinion it may have been a fast a moving target….the new pay deal has made sure the morale was rock bottom and should stay there. Across the fleet.

If this is what we have to endure while we are in demand, what the hell is going to happen when we are a surplus to requirement…… There is Nothing Like A Good Airline, with good pay and conditions, And THIS IS NOTHING LIKE A GOOD AIRLINE.

F-5DRIVER
19th Apr 2001, 13:29
CAP360 thanks for your precise & unveiling report on EZ land. By the way have you heard any rumours of making hub the new Athens airport?

[This message has been edited by F-5DRIVER (edited 19 April 2001).]

nice_beaver
19th Apr 2001, 14:09
Isn't it just amazing when somebody posts their own experiences on a thread which is not what others want to hear you become mgmt or some kind of brown noser!!
It's these kind of 'what i say is right, the rest of you are wrong, why don't you do it my why' self centred idiots that make any genuine enquiry on Pprune fruitless.
As i have already stated EZY may not be a nirvana but its growing rapidly in a very competitive market and sometimes will require the employees to cut them some slack.
If all you want to do is fly 2 sectors a day ( in daylight ), 5 nightstops in holiday destinations a month, work less than your competitors and get paid considerably more then perhaps EZY is not for you!!
However if you are happy to work hard, take home good ( but not the best )money with an eye to the future then perhaps it is?
As for BALPA, i for one will be interested to see just how many of the so called 52% actually sign on the dotted....