PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust your pilots voice?

Wrong Sisters
20th Oct 2003, 21:38
Article on page 42 of the Daily Mail today from a journalist who attended a fear of flying course and after meeting the pre-flight therapist wrote:
"..it also seems I suffer from a bizarre form of snobbery, feeling safer when a nice, stiff-upper lipped English piot's voice came over the Tannoy rather than say, a Mexican accent: "Hey Meester, we 'ees cruising at a crazy altitude" - or even the slightly suburban tones of your average easyJet pilot. "

Who's voice do you trust?

EDDNHopper
20th Oct 2003, 22:08
Certainly not the one of a cpt who, during a very rough approach in thunderstorm conditions at Johannesburg, started his passenger announcement with the words "Sometimes you wonder whether you´ve made the right decision..."
Well, obviously, he brought us down safely. A number of faces in the cabin went very white after that pa, though...

Tripower455
20th Oct 2003, 22:41
I look and speak like Tony Soprano (so I'm repeatedly told). Does this inspire confidence or fear in my pax? Personally, I never thought about it..........

M.Mouse
20th Oct 2003, 22:43
I would suggest that it is similar to the thought processes that lead us to judge somebody by their appearance.

Often unfair and inaccurate but difficult to do otherwise based on our acquired prejudices!

Man Flex
20th Oct 2003, 22:48
I think I have to agree with the journalist on this one.

These guys and girls who try to inject humour into their p.a. just don't sound too professional. A certain low cost airline obviously encourage their crews to attempt humour with p.a.'s such as "In the event that you're caught smoking on the aircraft then you will be marched to the back and asked to leave". A fair percentage of passengers hate flying and for many it's a once-a-year thing so knowing that the crew is both serious about their work and acting in a professional manner installs confidence. There is a time and a place for humour but I don't think it is appropriate to be used by someone who is providing a professional service and is ultimately responsible for another's life. You would be a bit concerned if the surgeon said "Well Mr Smith it's such a lovely day outside that I think we'll do the operation in the gardens"!

Your feedback I'm sure will follow.

strafer
20th Oct 2003, 22:50
I look and speak like Tony Soprano (so I'm repeatedly told). Does this inspire confidence or fear in my pax? Personally, I never thought about it..........

Fuggedaboudit:cool:

davethelimey
20th Oct 2003, 22:55
How many Mexican people can this Daily Mail hack (to be charitable) have met to think that they all speak like that? :hmm:

I'd rather have someone unwavering and definite in any accent.

Jagbag
20th Oct 2003, 23:20
I think humour is misplaced in a PA, as it gives the impression of a casual attitude.

When passengers, some of whom don't even understand how a plane flies are exposed to such announcements they naturally react defensively. We must give the PA based on the audience average level of knowledge and not ours!

However they probably would appreciate a measured tone and correct language. This (I am told) does serve to increase confidence in the crew.

VFE
21st Oct 2003, 00:04
My take on it is this:

When pilots and cabin crew sound as serious as cancer the whole time the nervy types think there's a very good reason for this seriousness and that something might possibly be afoot thus exacerbating their anxiety.

VFE.

Donald Dunbar
21st Oct 2003, 00:34
I trust that little voice in my head, telling me this thread is complete bull:mad:

Memetic
21st Oct 2003, 00:37
All i can add is that my better half, a nervous flyer, is always extremely greatful to hear a calm measured voice from the cockpit telling passengers things like, "this turbulance is normal, we only expect it to last a few minutes".

However she does tend to take the few minutes bit literally and gripes if the turbulence returns!

Overall I think tone is probably more important than accent.

Man Flex
21st Oct 2003, 00:56
Just to add that it's well known that companies use people with Scottish accents to advertise products on radio and television. Apparently this and other "northern" accents are considered to be more honest and trustworthy!

javelin
21st Oct 2003, 00:58
Well, we here in god's own county - Yarksheer, are proud of our regional accent. I welcome the folks on board from the front of the cabin where they can see me when flying shorthaul, over the p.a. on longhaul, 'cos the steerage passengers can't see me!

I welcome them, introduce the crew, tell them honestly if we are late and why and do you know what - I get loads of people commenting very positively when they leave and some even shake me by the hand :ok:

X-QUORK
21st Oct 2003, 01:05
Reminds me of the legendary RAF flight taking troops back to the UK from Bosnia for a spot of R+R. The captain was given an interview without coffee by his CO after a female passenger (a Major) took umbrance to his announcement:

"For all our female passengers, we are now entering UK airspace and you are officially ugly again."

Many a true word spoken in jest!;)

Maxflyer
21st Oct 2003, 01:38
Unless they sound like Joe Pasquale or Clement Frued (Dr. Death) I don't really care.

Frankie DeTori might be good for a laugh..."Laydeez & Genmen"

Regis Potter
21st Oct 2003, 04:47
Heard a CSD give what was supposed to be a lighthearted fond fairwell to her passengers one morning along the lines of...

"...Welcome to XYZ. I'd like to thank Capt ABC for getting us here without encountering any severe turbulence, getting lost, or flying into any tall buildings!..."

Now as unprofessional as this surely sounded, I thought nothing of it until I was reminded of those words just a few days later whilst watching the unbelievable images unfolding in NYC. It occured to me at the time what a strange thing to have said but almost ironic that it should have been on Sep 8th 2001.

Hay Ewe
21st Oct 2003, 06:03
OK, so you have brought your ticket, gotten to the airport risking life and limb in car traffic, (maybe even a taxi) work your way throught the airport, board the airplane, take off, establish cruise, and THEN you are unsure about the confidence of the Captain / FO - bit late now!!

I would be more worried about the car traffic on the way.

Ignition Override
21st Oct 2003, 11:41
As for basic concern and anxiety in the cabin, many passengers would rather hang on to their ignorance and totally wrong conclusions about aviation. It is very rare that anyone, except for children, or a military pilot, shows any interest in stopping by the cockpit when the flight is over, and this includes the many on-time arrivals.

After riding behind two ladies in a regional jet recently and hearing their ignorant comments about "small planes", I told them that the pilots would be glad to clear up any misunderstandings, which are very common among the flying public. One woman said, "Oh that's ok, we just want to get there". There we go...

All we can do is make normal pa's and not be concerned about the crazy, nonsensical notions that remain in many peoples' heads for their entire lives-and very often, by choice.

Correct, both pilots and rushed passengers don't have time to clear up all basic misunderstandings, but rarely do passengers ask us for the opportunity to clear up even one of them, whether in the cockpit or walking through the airport. I guess it is sort of like the fear of walking in the rain-they would rather hang on to old superstitions from the dark ages about raindrops, than ask a nurse or doctor (oh, it's from a virus, ok....but don't all raindrops have a virus?). Maybe they can't handle realizing how wrong they are. But they take showers and baths, do they not?:oh:

radeng
21st Oct 2003, 14:57
Many years ago now, I was on one of the carriers in the far east - can't remember which - flying into Hong Kong. A calm Australian accent informed us that the weather wasn't too good at Hong Kong at the moment, and we would wait for half an hour for it to clear because, as he said ' I want to be there in one piece even if I am late, and I'm sure you do, too'. One of the most reassuring announcements I've heard.

BUMPFF
21st Oct 2003, 15:37
The deliverance of a succinct, practical, comforting, confidence-inspiring PA, from cockpit or cabin crew, is a skill which few people acquire. Any accent is fine by me.

No PAs apart from safety briefings and straightforward schedule disruptions should be made. Airline crews should pay a talk tax. The first half-hour of a long-haul flight seems to be taken up with junk announcements.

Dogma
21st Oct 2003, 16:18
BUMPFF etc,

Well said, off for a spot of tiffin.

Toodle Pip

Scottie
21st Oct 2003, 16:26
As an easyJet pilot with a regional accent (braveheart) I was flying northbound from London yesterday listening to a British Airways pilots pronounce the word "Shuttle" without the "tt".

He flies for the flag carrier and can't speak the queens english? I ask you :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thought they'd give the NED at least some elecution lessons before representing queen and country :p :p

Man Flex
21st Oct 2003, 17:10
Let's be honest. As a passenger what is it that YOU want to hear? Some parts of the p.a. are obligitory such as "please pay attention to the safety demonstration" and "have your seat belt loosely fastened whilst seated" but other than these the average Joe probably only wants to know when they're getting there and perhaps if it's raining or not. Once again it is a scientific fact that most people have the attention span of a goldfish and whilst you're going on about speed, altitude, fuel burn etc he or she has switched off.

Keep it brief.

M.Mouse
21st Oct 2003, 17:14
No PAs apart from safety briefings and straightforward schedule disruptions should be made. Airline crews should pay a talk tax. The first half-hour of a long-haul flight seems to be taken up with junk announcements.

Couldn't agree more.

At a certain well known large airline in the UK the list of compulsory stuff for the Captain to mention before departure is making PAs so long winded and boring that people just mentally switch off.

Couple that with the interminable PAs from the CC introducing Tracy in World Traveller and Shane in Club World, etc. it seems to go on for ever.

"have your seat belt loosely fastened whilst seated"

The word loosely should no longer used. I think the reasoning being that your belt is incorrectly fastened if it is 'loose'.

PAXboy
21st Oct 2003, 18:33
To return to the original and substantive question ... 'type' of voice. The answer is, "It does not matter, as long as I can understand them." That may include the use of colloquial English and regional pronunciation. of course 'region' might be Home Counties or Cornwall!

On a recent trip, when leaving the a/c, I passed on to the CSD that the CC and Captain's PAs could be heard clearly but that the FO spoke too quietly and I could not hear them. That was the critical point. If I had been able to hear but not understand them, then I should also have made the comment.

If the person at the pointy end has an ATPL, then that is all that counts. I understand, of course, that many folks that do not fly often will cleave to the traditional voice of their own country.

The jokey comments about smokers etc. is becoming more common. As a regular traveller (in the air for just on 38 years) then I accept them for what they. A nervous traveller is going to be nervous. They could have the Chief Pilot sit next to them in row 1 and they would still be nervous.

Big Tudor
21st Oct 2003, 18:43
Man Flex

One thing that really bugs me when I fly is when the crew read out the current TAF for destination. How many people really understand "Scattered at 2000' "? Just give us a quick "It's quite warm / cold. Sunny / cloudy. Raining / snowing".
As for route information, sometimes it's appreciated if it's concise and interesting. Unlike the MON captain a few years ago who gave us a point by point diatribe all the way from HRG to LGW!

ou Trek dronkie
21st Oct 2003, 18:54
Ignition Override siad :

"It is very rare that anyone, except for children, or a military pilot, shows any interest in stopping by the cockpit when the flight is over, and this includes the many on-time arrivals."

Not so, it's because on the flights I take, if you stop to speak to the crew, you end up pushed down the stairs by the pax behind you, all eager to get off. Even if you manage it, you'll miss the bus or cause someone to shout at you (nicely of course). The crew is also in a rush and I don't blame them.

Groundbased
21st Oct 2003, 21:23
Ou Trek,

Agree totally. I would often like to take the time to have a chat after arrival but feel that the crew have enough to do and will probably be under pressure to turn round quickly, so I don't.

Recently I was delayed due to a tech problem at LHR, we had all spent 50 mins at the gate watching a crowd of people crawl in and out of the open engine cowling, lots of head scratching going on.

Then we all boarded and everything was as normal. Even with a good understanding of what was going on I felt reassured when the capt made a PA to indicate that he had flown the aircraft already that morning and was unhappy with a flight deck indication that there may be a problem with a starter valve. As a precaution he had had the valve replaced.

That PA told me that the capt was:

Thouroughly in control
Suitably cautious
Considerate to his passengers
covinced that the aircraft could be operated safely.

As paxboy said, I'm not bothered about the accent, it's the tone and the relevance of the information that count for me.

GB

Wing Commander Fowler
21st Oct 2003, 22:19
I trust my pilots voice implicitly...... although to be honest it has let me down a few times in the past hehe!

:O

meloz
21st Oct 2003, 22:54
I think the question should can you hear or understand the pilot as it normally garbled and low on volume, or that loud it scares the cr#p out of you when it booms over the P.A.

Still beats Asian pilots that advise "our fright time will be 3 hours, we hope you enjoy your fright"

Wrong Sisters
21st Oct 2003, 23:44
As the person who started this thread, which according to Donal Dunbar is complete bull****, I have two observations so far:

1. DD as I post there have been 27 replies and 2377 views - OK not a great ratio but maybe, just maybe, those long winter nights in Canada have made you a little party pooper.

2. BUMPFF The deliverance of a succinct, practical, comforting, confidence-inspiring PA, from cockpit or cabin crew, is a skill which few people acquire. Any accent is fine by me. - Couldn't have put it any better.

... now what other bull**** thread can I start ......

cat 3a
22nd Oct 2003, 02:07
Donald Dunbar

couldn't agree more, otherwise 99% of the pilots will be out of a job

you know

Spanish
French
Italians
Greek
Turkish
Americans
English with regional acsents, etc etc

Wrong Sisters

quote:

The deliverance of a succinct, practical, comforting, confidence-inspiring PA, from cockpit or cabin crew, is a skill which few people acquire. Any accent is fine by me

I agree with that

Man Flex
22nd Oct 2003, 18:06
PAXboy :

I was positioning back down to LGW after a few days off and sitting next to a gentleman who had been a bit perturbed that I had had to climb over him to get to my seat. Later during the flight it became quite turbulent and I could see the 'white knuckles' appearing down to my right side. After a few minutes I asked him if he was nervous and explained what my position was within the industry. His whole attitude towards me changed and he was only too happy to converse on technical matters and understand the more practical aspects of meteorology. I firmly believe that I made a difference to this man's perception about flying and I could see just by talking about his fear his nerves abated.

The best kind of therapy for a nervous passenger is one that relieves their ignorance. PAs can do this very well if done properly.

ou Trek dronkie :

I fully understand what you are saying but please believe me when I say that myself and the vast majority of my colleagues encourage people to visit us after landing and ask questions. Yes sometimes you do get in the way of other passengers trying to disembark but then some flight decks are bigger than others!

MASI
22nd Oct 2003, 18:31
Why, in a 30 million dollar A/C with advanced - precision hydraulic, pneumatic and mechanical systems do manufacturers continue to install PA speakers that resemble the quality to that of a McDonalds drive through intercom?

(my sartorical view was brought to my attention from a friend that recently flew whom is totally unrelated to the aviation industry.)

Lawyerboy
22nd Oct 2003, 20:01
I'd echo others and say that anyone who sounds professional - whatever the accent and whether or not they crack the occasional joke - is fine by me.

As an aside, on a recent flight back from ALC on EasyJet the captain made a point, as most do these days, of emphasising that we really should be listening to the safety announcement because 'running down the aisle with your tail on fire is not the time to be asking questions.'

Don't know if said captain is a Ppruner but if so care to claim the quote? Made me chuckle...

Coconuts
22nd Oct 2003, 20:34
Interesting what people say about flight crew maintaing a serious composure infront of pax because although it had nothing to do with an announcement I became very annoyed when recently I travelled on a well known British Airline who's curiously supposed to have one of the best reputations in the biz. Okay it was an Airbus & they have drop down screens for the safety demo but that does not excuse that during the safety demonstration the fresh faced young steward near me spent the whole time sniggering to himself & eventually start laughing silently to himself. Cricky it's bad enough that the pax don't take the pathetically inadequate safety demonstations seriously, how are they supposed to if members of the crew have difficulty maining a serious face & a professional composure through out it.

I have relayed my concern to the airline while I was in the process of making a complaint about another issue, in all the times I've flown with the much maligned FR funnily I've never had occasion to make a complaint about one issue let alone two. Since both matters are currently being investigated by the airline I will refrain for the moment in giving any further detail or mentioning which airline it is.

Spotlight
22nd Oct 2003, 20:53
Many years ago in Australia Cathay had a long running TV ad presented by a stage, screen and TV actor named Noel Ferrier.

Noel had a plummy voice and an air not dissimilar to your own Robert Morely. Anyway, after extolling the beauty of the ladies, the excellent service etc, he announced "And up the front, sturdy British and Australian Pilots"

EDDNHopper
22nd Oct 2003, 21:17
Groundbased:

That PA told me that the capt was:
Thouroughly in control
Suitably cautious
Considerate to his passengers
covinced that the aircraft could be operated safely

Very well said, because what more do you want?
What less do you need?
Maybe a short route briefing now and then...

DD: Please don´t underestimate the importance of a (sensible) P.A. to most of the pax!

priscilla
22nd Oct 2003, 21:41
Can't a PA be professionnal with a bit of humour in it?
I've been told that some passengers are afraid when they hear a woman voice on a PA....what can we do for that??

I would like to say that the pilot's voice doesn't matter....but it's not true, there is the same problem on ATC frequencies and we usually "trust" a pilot or not depending of his (or her) voice!

Jordan D
22nd Oct 2003, 22:17
I mostly trust my pilots, though occasionally it would be nice to see them. I understand all the questions about secuirty, etc., etc., but its nice to put a name to a face. I can't remember the last time I met friendly crew either, who were willing to have a chat.

Jordan

L G Cooper
23rd Oct 2003, 11:15
As a relatively experienced military and civvy pilot, I have never been a "bad" passenger as such, until I travelled with Ryannair in 1999 from Stanstead to Venice. The jet was an early series 737 in pretty shabby nick and the crew were less than convincing in their PA delivery, which hinted at Eastern & European / Middle Eastern origins. The cabin crew also were more concerned with giggling down the back than providing a sound briefing. The clincher was when during the early morning departure the DTRMB's disappeared before the aircraft rotated. Said rotation was a fairly agricultural affair:eek: as well. The point is that a person's voice I don't believe is enough to put most people off, unless you suffer a particular neurosis, but the old chain of events can lead to high tempo sphincter action.:ooh:

Kaptin M
24th Oct 2003, 02:27
A few of us finding it a little difficult to think outside the box?

I wonder how many of you would make the same comments if you were travelling on a foreign airline, the PA of which was in a language compltely foreign, and not understood by you?

Quite a few silly comments, aren't there, when put into the international perspective (vs your own quaint upbringings?!!)

Man Flex
24th Oct 2003, 06:26
Learning a lot from my better half tonight. Apparently we give some six PAs prior to take-off! Is it necessary? I don't think so! What a load of cobblers! When did the paying public switch off? About five minutes after they sat down! "What did they say?" "When will we be arriving?" "When will we be getting our (next) drink?"

Need I say more.

angels
24th Oct 2003, 16:40
An interesting thread. FWIW, I'm with EDDNHopper and Groundbased when it comes to PAs.

Ah for the old days though! I remember taking a business charter flight some 20 years ago to Oslo to attend a financial conference there. I was in the second row of seats.

About 20 minutes out of LHR the pilot came out and yelled to the cabin (it was a 73, dunno the type!), 'The PA system has broken so I'm just here to tell you that all's well, we're going to be landing five minutes early and my First Officer is sober today!'

He then wandered around the cabin for 10 minutes or so chatting. He returned to the cockpit and about five minutes later came out holding a piece of string which tailed back into the cockpit.

'You're driving,' he said as he handed the end of the string to the lady sitting in front of me.....

RiverCity
25th Oct 2003, 02:14
Supposedly a true story:

Foster Brooks, a US comedian who did a good "drunk act," was on a flight one day years ago. Someone in the crew recognized him and invited him to the flight deck to make the first in-flight announcement in character.

Probably not a good idea, but at least the captain told the pax (the ones who hadn't bailed out by that time) who it was and then they relaxed.

Roghead
25th Oct 2003, 05:01
Angels and RiverCity.
Good stories but unfortunately, probably no more than that.The RAF has a legion of similar stories but I'm sure someone else on another thread can supply these.
This one, however IS true - I was there.
Unusually good flying weather for London.Private company light twin transitting SVFR twixt Dunsfold and Northolt.The good Controllers of the approprite agency saw fit to route us at about 1250ft QNH (can't remember exact height) over Central London and the view was exceptional.The dour Scottish Captain noticed that his Company passenger all had their heads buried in the Times ,FT or similar and like Victoria "was not amused"
His PA was perfectly delivered ,clear concise and in a regional accent and went on the lines of" L&G we are travelling over the Capital City in the best flying weather of the year so far, people pay a small fortune for this experience and you ***** have your noses buried in crap.Put the papers down and do us the honour of looking out the widows.They all obliged.
I reckon that both paying and non paying pax like to know who is in charge and will react to the voice and tone as long as the message is appropriate.
Cheers, you all.

Metro man
25th Oct 2003, 08:46
Tone of voice is very important ,I'm sure most of us can pick up when an air traffic controller is stressed ,getting overloaded or just plain scared from his/her voice.Passengers can probably do the same with us. However we usually have the choice of when to speak to the pax and can compose ourselves first.

BEagle
26th Oct 2003, 17:21
"Sit down, shut up, strap in. Eat when you're fed, don't annoy the girls, we'll get there when we do. OK?"

;)

Roghead
26th Oct 2003, 20:06
Aye,something like that,if appropriate.(re Celtic supporters and Mayday diversions).However,BEagle,methinks your sarcasm overstates the point just a wee bit maybe?
Cheers you all.

cwatters
27th Oct 2003, 00:16
After sitting waiting at the gate for what seemed like ages for no reason the Captain came on the intercom and said...

"Good evening Ladies and gentlemen I'm captain blah blah, welcome to flight xyz to abc, sorry for the delay but we have a special guest about to board the plane".

There is a short pause while everyone looks up... then he continues...

"He so important we decided we really couldn't go without him. As soon as he arrives could you all make him feel really welcome by cheering loudly as he passes down the isle".

Late pax gets a "walk of shame" down the whole length of the isle to loud cheering and cat calls.

Then Cap comes on again and say something like "Right now that everyone is here we can get going..."

angels
27th Oct 2003, 15:45
Roghead -- thanks very much for insinuating that I'm liar.

I am not. I was there.

And I didn't mention that the skipper proceeded to pull a rather attractive girl who he let into the cockpit for the landing.

As I said, we're talking the old days here.

Over and out.

Roghead
27th Oct 2003, 18:06
Angels-sincere apologies,no character smur intended.Teach me to read the words more carefully.
Cheers you all

angels
27th Oct 2003, 18:17
Roghead - many thanks, apology accepted.

My apologies for my grumpiness as well, I'm a wee bit hungover!! :yuk:

Blank-EFIS
27th Oct 2003, 19:59
Just a little bit off thread,

How many of you have felt not so secure upon hearing your controllers voice over the RT ? :suspect:

SimonG
28th Oct 2003, 01:50
This reminds me of a passage in Nelson Mandela's "Long Walk to Freedom". He describes boarding a flight and being momentarily panicked by the realisation that both pilots were black. If the great man himself could be spooked by such a silly thing then what are the chances for reg'lar folks?

Personally, I've always wanted to come on over the pa "Good afternoon, ladies and gentleman. I would just like to inform you that there is no cause for alarm." and leave it at that.

Flying Lawyer
28th Oct 2003, 05:52
I think many passengers enjoy PAs from the flight crew. I do, and miss the days when they were more frequent and informative than they are now. I know policy has changed, but I preferred the old one.
However, I totally agree with M. Mouse about endless long CC announcements.Couple that with the interminable PAs from the CC introducing Tracy in World Traveller and Shane in Club World, etc. it seems to go on for ever. On some carriers, we now have the flight crew introducing the CSD/No 1. (I assume that's a company rule thought up by someone behind a desk. :rolleyes: ) That's followed minutes later by the CSD/No 1 introducing the CC as per MM's post.
I make a point of following the safety briefing, but I can do without all the other CC announcements which now seem to go on for ever.

BEagle
29th Oct 2003, 05:22
A bit like those cringingly insincere "Hi, I'm Devine and I'll be your server tonight. For your pleasure we have a pan-fried manta ray served with a fresh basil and......" bolleaux you get in a Spam 'gourmet' restaurant (that's somewhere which doesn't serve hamburgers!). To which your inner self wants to scream "Look - just f*ck off and get the b....y menu, you simpering poof" - but being a Brit you say "Really? That sounds nice. But I'll have a medium rare fillet steak, fries and salad - and no b****y questions please!"

Years ago there was a BOAC (I think - although it might have been ba) advert which featured some businessman type being bounced around Manhattan in a Yellow Cab, then finally slumping into his airline seat. The soundtrack then continued with a very clipped true Brit voice "Welcome onboard...." - the whole thing focused on the quintessential Britishness of the airline. Of course this was long before the 'Global' image was the new apple of the designer-stubbled advertising f*ckwit's eye... And do you remember "Eight Thirty Trident", "VC Tenderness" and the other BOAC/BEA adverts. Far superior to the silly 'crowd on the beach' and other nonsense of nowadays...or the Dramatis Personae of the entire Cabin staff which some airlines provide over the PA!