PDA

View Full Version : LHR Conditional Line Up Clearance at night?

countrybusdriver
25th Mar 2001, 00:20
Throughout the day we all cross the Cat 1 hold in order to be ready for departure when the preceeding one is airborne. What is correct at NIGHT can we cross the RED lights or should we wait for the GREENS??????

What would be said at the subsequent court of enquiry should there ever be an incident?

FlapsOne
25th Mar 2001, 00:43
Cross red lights at your peril!

Either get ATC to turn them off or, in case the button has broken, get their clearance ON TAPE. It's your kneck on the block.

MasterGreen
25th Mar 2001, 04:13
Rule 7 : Never cross the reds. Always use the radio. If they can't turn 'em off for some reason - get it confirmed and get your other seat to confirm that you heard your clearance correctly. It takes no time and may / will save a lot of grief.

Two wrongs do not make it right.

MG

U R NumberOne
26th Mar 2001, 11:17
There's been a discussion on this very subject on ATC Issues recently. Check out...

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum6/HTML/000791.html

I'm certain it is difficult at the likes of LHR where you know every second is vital to us, but like Flaps One says - Cross 'em at your peril. If they are stuck on red, I'd tell you. If I've forgotton to switch them over, you tell me - I'll feel a plonker for a bit, but might not forget for the rest of the shift!

They're a safety device - why compromise them?

countrybusdriver
26th Mar 2001, 11:58
U R no 1

Thankyou for the direction, backs up what I thought.

Follow the Greens and stop at the reds out!!

Gonzo
29th Mar 2001, 13:46
Countrybusdriver,

I echo what has been said, never cross reds. A polite call on the R/T will soon bring up a green route/line up if pertinent. Please bear with us at the holding point when on the reds and greens, we have to wait until the cockpit of the a/c ahead has gone over the stop bar before we switch the greens, and it is a very awkward operation. I'd recommend coming up to the tower at night so you can get our perspective!

Gonzo

tired
29th Mar 2001, 16:22
Gonzo, I'd like to do exactly that, sometime - who should I contact to arrange it?

Gonzo
30th Mar 2001, 02:56
Tired,

Send an email to [email protected],
and the very nice chap on the end of the address will help you out!

Gonzo

Gonzo
30th Mar 2001, 17:03
Yes, some a/c do seem to have a certain independence, shall we say, when following the greens!

Gonzo