PDA

View Full Version : RE: Groundschool (Please reply)

jamierwilliams
20th Oct 2003, 03:25
Dear Ppruners,

I am desperate to seek advise regarding groundschool and PPL exams. What is the best route when learning the books for the theory exams......should one do all self-study, all groundschool course or a combination? Is it really neceassary to go to the groundschool pros and have some lessons? Does anybody know any PPL groundschool centres around the south-east and London?

Please reply.
J@mie

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Oct 2003, 03:33
I think that most folks just go it alone with the help of their instructor clarifying the odd bits which are not immediately clear from studying the books and confuser.

All depends a little bit what suits you best. Some folks prefer the classroom approach.

FD

Keef
20th Oct 2003, 05:41
I certainly did it the "FD" way, and wouldn't have done it any other. But I always was a rebellious pupil, not given to sitting in classrooms to be talked at.

Which is probably why I stand in pulpits and...

Which suits your temperament better - classroom, or private study? That's really the question you're asking.

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Oct 2003, 05:42
Apart from the RT, which as an obviously practical subject with a practical exam is obviously better learnt in a classroom than from books, it partly depends on what you're trying to get out of it.

Depends on the lecturers as well, of course.

I actually got a bit interested in how and why aeroplanes worked, and bought and read books that I didn't "have" to, and attended classes for some of the subjects. Being able to ask a question on some aspect of aerodynamics and aircraft design and having the question answered by a test pilot who knew the author of the book I was reading and knew from personal experience exactly why you do and don't design this bit of the aircraft in various ways was very interesting. Whilst I would naturally expect any instructor to be able to answer correctly any question relating to anything that was in the syllabus, you can't expect every instructor to have the depth of knowledge and experience of a guy like that. (But then you might find a lecturer who doesn't either ...)

221B
20th Oct 2003, 15:37
Just to get through the exams Self Study should be fine - it got me through no problem.

However, I do wonder whether my knowledge would have been more comprehensive had I gone to ground school, rather than just studying to pass the exams - I guess that as usual it depends on the individual lecturer or instructor, and how willing they are to fill in the gaps.

Maxflyer
20th Oct 2003, 17:43
Read Trevor Thom and get the PPL Confuser. Worked for me and most PPL's I know.

AIRWAY
20th Oct 2003, 17:58
Maxflyer is right, Trevor Thom collection and the PPL Confuser will do :ok: same here, every one i know have passed their PPL exams simply with the above books.

jamierwilliams
20th Oct 2003, 18:11
thanks everybody....i think i am going to do all self-study and then anything i am not sure about have a couple of lessons

Cheers

Say again s l o w l y
20th Oct 2003, 19:15
One slight difference, I would recommend the AFE books rather than the Trevor Thom. It is down to personal preference obviously, but most people seem to find that they are an easier read than the TT books. More pictures!!

NinjaBill
20th Oct 2003, 19:24
I find that the Thom books are a more handy size for taking into work and reading during my lunch hour, or for reading on the train.

It would be nice if either of the books came with a CD with the entire book in a pdf format, that way i would be able to read the book while at work, while still looking like I am Busy :)

NB

AIRWAY
20th Oct 2003, 19:57
Ninja :ok: That's what i do but with the "book" version, during working hours hehehehe :} the PDF file would be a great idea.

Going back to the books i have Jeremy Pratt "Air Law and Operational Procedures" and i do prefer this one to the TT Air Law one.
At the end of the day it's up to your own preference.

CPilotUK
22nd Oct 2003, 01:36
jamierwilliams,

I am currently using the fully interactive computer course by Transair and Oxford Training and can say that they are absolutely brilliant. The colourful illustrations and animations make it so much easier to understand the subject; it’s like having your own private tutor.

I was a bit worried that I was going to have a hard time with Meteorology but I was able to score high in the Confuser first time around by fully understanding the subject, rather than memorise the questions and answers. I really enjoy studying Met and can't wait to start on Aircraft General.

For the cost of about 2 flying lessons, I believe they are a great investment.

Click Here (http://www.transair.co.uk/system/index.html)