PDA

View Full Version : VFR pilot making an ILS

genius-747
18th Oct 2003, 05:28
I am just wondering can anyone help me out here...

I am a PPL from Ireland, just reciently done my cross water check out amd will soon be planning some trips to the UK.

I am fully able to use and ILS and I am wondering if it is possible for a VFR pilot to request an ILS app?

Say for example I fly VFR from Dublin to Liverpool, own nav all the way to WAL, then could I say for example request vectors for the ILS app at Liverpool (if the rwy with the ILS was in use of course!)

Is there any restrictions a VFR pilot has that a IFR pilot does not other than basic wx minima, viz and decision height, and class A airspace?

Cheers,

P

Eira
18th Oct 2003, 05:46
I'm not a hundred percent on the rules and regs here but yes you certainly can fly an ILS under VFR.
However local airports may have restrictions on this but certainly at our airfield we allow it , as with most VFR flights you have a lower priority to the IFR scheduled flights .When requesting an ILS you must advise ATC that you are VFR

Timothy
18th Oct 2003, 06:46
Can I suggest that you pose this question on the ATC forum?

I imagine that the answer will be "if traffic permits."

W

vintage ATCO
18th Oct 2003, 14:32
Usually ATC want to poke VFR traffic in for a short visual but there is no reason why you couldn't fly the ILS, as WC says, if traffic permits. So just ask. Just the usual caution of accepting radar vectors if you need to remain VFR, tell ATC in plenty of time if it is likely to take you into IMC.

VA

Charlie Zulu
18th Oct 2003, 14:48
Can't see any problems in doing so.

You can find the aerodrome charts including approach plates for all approaches into United Kingdom airports here (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/aipad2.htm).

Weather condtions must be legal VMC which as you know vary for different airspace categories.

Minima's don't really matter as you'll be in VMC conditions. BUT you must be able to look outside and indeed ATC will be expecting you to be looking out for other traffic.

They may break you off the approach if their workload gets high. Also if you're on the ILS under a VFR clearance then you may have to "giveway" to traffic on Base legs etc... ATC normally give you plenty of warning though.

As Vintage ATCO says give ATC plenty of warning if your current vector / track along the procedure will put you into cloud and SUGGEST a heading to them that will steer you clear of cloud - otherwise ATC might give you another heading that could also put you into cloud.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

BEagle
18th Oct 2003, 15:36
genius-747, you stated: "I am fully able to use and ILS". Do you hold an IMC Rating? If not, by whose assessment are you 'fully able' to fly an ILS?

I sincerely hope you don't consider that playing a computer game such as MicroSoft Flight Simulator is sufficient training to conduct an ILS in a real aeroplane.

Additionally, remember that under Rule 7 if you are making a practice instrument approach in VMC, you must inform ATC and carry a safety observer.

IO540
18th Oct 2003, 16:09
Beagle,

Is doing an ILS in VMC by an unaccompanied PPL always a practice flight?

I don't think it necessarily is, therefore he should be able to do it.

On the other hand, an ILS is an IAP which a PPL cannot do unless he is being trained. Does this make sense????

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Oct 2003, 16:41
There is no reason why a PPL can not use the ILS for assistance in the approach to land, just like most people will use PAPIs etc when landing in VMC when they are switched on (forgive the pun)

The use of navigational aids both for the en-route and the approach segment of any flight is permitted as long as you stay within the privileges of your licence.

FD

BEagle
18th Oct 2003, 16:53
FD - the use of ILS is not covered during the PPL syllabus of trianing, whereas the use of en-route navigation aids is. A procedural approach, using ILS, requires the pilot to fly using the instruments. That is why a safety observer must be carried in order to avoid conflict with other traffic under VFR.

The use of PAPIs and the use of ILS are fundamentally different. One requires 'head out' and assists a visual approach, the other requires 'head in' to follow the ILS display.

A VFR-only PPL holder 'practising' an ILS approach in VMC without proper training and without a safety observer would be a very foolhardy person indeed.

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Oct 2003, 17:11
In my opinion it is very well possible to fly the approach with the ILS frequency tuned in and having a cursory look at the indicator to see how you are doing whilst flying in VMC and exercising the privileges of your PPL without an IMC/IR.

That is not, in essence, different from looking in to do other cockpit tasks during the approach such as looking at the ASI.

I do, BEagle, get the impression a bit, correct me if I am wrong though, that you are of the opinion that only your view of the world is the correct one. This forum and indeed the world at large is so much a nicer place when you allow others to have and formulate their opinions too.

FD

Wee Weasley Welshman
18th Oct 2003, 19:30
I am with BEagle - you have either been trained and checked on instrument flying or you have not. A basic PPL does not cover ILS and therefore you should not do it.

The centreline of a runway at 8 miles is one of the busiest pieces of airspace there is.

If you are VFR then your chin should be firmly planted on the glareshield.

Cheers

ps The reason BEagle is of the view that he is nearly always right is because he is. ;)

Deano777
18th Oct 2003, 19:32
Are you likely to conflict with other traffic whilst undertaking an ILS PPL or IR?
"G-ABCD turn left heading xxx deg to intercept the ILS rwy xx report established"

"G-ABCD contact tower on 123.45"

"G-ABCD continue approach"

"G-ABCD cleared to land rwy xx"

All these are clearances of such by ATC, and surely they would only vector you to the ILS if it was safe to do so, they wouldnt say "G-ABCD cleared to the ILS rwy xx but watch out for that 737 that could be on your left same level"

Just a thought, pick holes in it at your will, end of the day all these discussions will make us better and more knowledgable pilots, if we listen to each other's points of view :ok:

Happy Landings

D.

Timothy
18th Oct 2003, 19:51
I think that BEagle and WWW are being a little over-cautious and over protective.

If you arrive IFR on the ILS in VMC at any medium sized GA airfield (let's take Biggin, Sa'fen' or LTQ as examples) you have a duty both to fly the ILS accurately and to take heed of the fact that you could be encountering aircraft turning from base leg onto finals at two miles, or joining from anywhere or even just passing quite legally through the ILS at four miles at 1200' without mentioning it to anyone.

If it is possible for an IR or IMC pilot to do this, it is possible for a PPL. The PPL isn't going to nosedive into a school just because he is looking both inside at the needles and out at the runway and circuit traffic.

As has been said, ATC will also know where most of the traffic is, including both circuit and ILS traffic.

W

TheKentishFledgling
18th Oct 2003, 19:55
I think there's a major difference between flying a full blown INSTRUMENT approach, with your head firmly down in the cockpit, and flying a VFR approach, whilst having the ILS tuned in and observing what happens at what stages, as long as fly the approach as you normally would and don't get distracted, or try and follow the ILS.

tKF

bookworm
18th Oct 2003, 20:02
Two considerations as far as the law goes:

1) Without an IR (or in the UK and IMC rating), you are not permitted to accept an IFR clearance in controlled airspace. That means that an ILS approach would have to be flown under VFR -- not impossible to arrange by any means, but you should explicitly request a "simulated ILS approach under VFR". This would apply to Liverpool, which is in class D.

Outside controlled airspace your are in the strange position of being permitted to accept an IFR clearance but not necessarily having the formal training in IFR procedures. I'd suggest you treat it as above.

2) (As Beagle says) If you simulate instrument flight (hood or foggles) you are required to have a safety pilot with you. If you practise approaches in VMC without hood or foggles, you are required to have an observer with you -- which seems like a sensible precaution if you intend to have your head in the cockpit looking at instruments.

Tony Bowers
18th Oct 2003, 20:02

ps The reason BEagle is of the view that he is nearly always right is because he is.Gosh...that makes him sound like a safe pilot...NOT :yuk:

I hope that he tells us that you misrepresent his opinion of himself.

Tony

IO540
18th Oct 2003, 21:03
Beagle

the use of ILS is not covered during the PPL syllabus of trianing, whereas the use of en-route navigation aids is

I am not sure that is necessarily a good rule because e.g. the DME isn't covered in the PPL either, IIRC. (Rather silly, as few navaids are simpler to use). Does that mean a PPL cannot legally use a DME? Surely not!

ratt
18th Oct 2003, 21:09
If you want practice ILS on a nice day then phone your nearest Mil airfield, have a chat with the tower staff and find out when they will be quiet/how much it'll cost/if they are in a position to accept civil PDs.

Where I work we have paying customers from the civil fraternity that come for ILS and PAR once or twice a month.

You'll always take back-seat to the operational stuff, but a chat to the tower staff should easily identify a quiet time when they will be happy to accept you.

It's a quieter way of trying the procedure without being in the thick of the transport heavies.

BEagle
18th Oct 2003, 21:35
At no time have I ever presumed that I am always right.

But untrained PPL VFR pilots whose only experience of an ILS approach is on a PC are not the people who should be practising something they've never been taught - particularly at a busy airport in Class D airspace.

What on earth do you want 'radar vectors' to the ILS localiser for in VMC if you're not going to practise an ILS? If you just want a straight in approach, ask for radar vectors to a straight-in from 4 miles final, or words to that effect.

Plus, of course, the aerodrome might well charge you for the ILS approach in any case - even if you're not qualified to fly it.

Flyin' Dutch, your 'half visual, half instrument' technique is one of the most dangerous techniques known to man......

IO540 - If the ac is fitted with DME, it makes sense to teach its use as an en-route navigation aid during PPL training. But ILS is not an 'en-route' aid, it is for precision instrument approach flying. All my ac are fitted with GPS - we also teach how to initialise it and read off 'present position' in case a pilot becomes lost with an unserviceable transponder, but we don't teach ab-initio PPLs how to use it for navigation.

ratt - the average military ATCO hasn't a clue about the requirements of Rule 6 & 7. So, even though he/she might grant your request for an ILS approach, it's up to you to know the rules which apply to your flying when making the request or flying the approach.

TheKentishFledgling
18th Oct 2003, 21:36
ratt - how much would what you describe cost the average light single, roughly?

tKF

Flyin'Dutch'
18th Oct 2003, 22:25
BEagle,

With all due respect, if you want me to take you serious you will have to come up with a better argument than:

Flyin' Dutch, your 'half visual, half instrument' technique is one of the most dangerous techniques known to man......

What a laughable attempt at sensationalising a situation I described.

You don't work for a tabloid do you?

FD

RatherBeFlying
18th Oct 2003, 22:26
Here in North America below FL180 in VMC, you must keep a lookout for traffic whether on an airway, vector or an ILS, VFR or IFR.

A safety pilot is required only if you are under the hood.

I have found hood off practice ILSs give a good perspective to what is required and feel that a few such approaches would be a good preparation to learning it under the hood.

So yes, if an ILS is available and ATC is willing, I'll fly it for the practice.

Eira
18th Oct 2003, 23:16
I have never heard the phrase and i do not actually think it exists of a simulated ILS approach under VFR .
If when I am quiet and a local aircraft requests from myself an ILS approach all I ask from them is if they are doing the approach VFR or IFR.
The same is true if I am providing an SRA for them.
I am unable to ask of a pilot what licences they hold thus I am unaware of whether or not they can take an IFR clearance. The only time I clarify such an issue is if they ask to cross or join Class A airspace when I ask if they are able to accept an IFR clearance.
My reasons for asking are to with purposes of separation between the aircraft and others I may have making various types of approach, also understanding that the aircraft may have to break of the type of approach I am providing because they are unable to maintain VMC.
My experiences have shown that aircraft only ask for such procedures when they realise the frequency is quiet and they usually ask very politely and understand they may be broken off.
Ask away for one, if the worst answer to your question is no that day I'm sure you will get a positive answer on another day

IO540
18th Oct 2003, 23:56
Beagle

'half visual, half instrument' technique is one of the most dangerous techniques known to man

The above is an amazing statement... can you explain exactly why? Do you have statistics supporting this?

Flying IFR in VMC outside CAS (specifically outside an RIS) involves instrument navigation with looking outside for other traffic.

Flying anywhere near PPL privileges (3km horizontal vis) is almost impossible without reference to instruments for both nav and aircraft control. Unless you are way down close to the ground, helicopter-style, and that's how a lot of people DO get killed.

You are probably a PPL instructor. They usually dislike (partly for good reasons) ex-FS200x PPL students and spend ages to try to get them to look out of the window. But that aside, there is nothing wrong with having a basic awareness of the instruments while flying VFR.

Tinstaafl
19th Oct 2003, 00:20
When I taught someone to do an ILS, I'd get them to do the 1st one visually ie without the hood/foggles/whatever. Made a difference to the person's perception of what the needles' movements represented and the subsequent effects of their control inputs.

With a caveat, I see no reason why a VFR pilot can't do a VMC 10 mile final with the ILS tuned AND refer to the instrument during the approach. It's no different to scanning the other instruments. Caveat: External cues take priority over blindly following the ILS.

BEagle
19th Oct 2003, 01:21
On the dials...on the dials...it's clearing....no it isn't....on the dials...yup, there are the lights...oops, more low cloud....on the dials...where's the glideslope...is that the RW...nope,still can't see it...on the dials...oops, off the localiser....correct, watch the bank...sink...CRUNCH.

A sadly common scenario for some. En-route VMC navigation - mainly looking outside with the odd squint inside (lookout, attitude, instruments - remember that?) fine - and yes, you can obviously have the added value of RIS when needed.

But flying an ILS accurately requires rather more diligent IF. Just gashing down the centreline with the odd squint at the dials is NOT flying an ILS. You'd only be fooling yourself.

If you want to practise an ILS, do it properly. Get an IMC Rating and you'll have had the benefit of proper training. Yes, by all means use your computer game to understand the basics, but it is not a substitute for sound training. With an IMC rating, practising approaches under IFR in non-limiting weather conditions should be actively encouraged in order to maintain proficiency for those dim winter afternoons which'll soon be here again.

greatorex
19th Oct 2003, 01:29
On the dials...on the dials...it's clearing....no it isn't....on the dials...yup, there are the lights...oops, more low cloud....on the dials...where's the glideslope...is that the RW...nope,still can't see it...on the dials...oops, off the localiser....correct, watch the bank...sink...CRUNCH. With respect BEagle, I think that the question was very much about doing an ILS procedure under VFR and I assume in VMC.

No one mentioned low cloud. . . An untrained ILS approach in low cloud would indeed be messy, but in VMC?

Cheers,

G

BEagle
19th Oct 2003, 01:49
You're quite right, chum. But that's why we train for the day there will be low cloud by flying ILS approaches properly even when it's CAVOK and lovely!

Spitoon
19th Oct 2003, 01:58
Speaking as a simple controller, I think the legalities of this question are very tricky. I recall many years ago looking into the law books to try and work out the answer and a lot depended on the class of airspace and on the ratings held by the pilot. I don't know how it all stands with a JAR PPL and, of course, the law changes over time. Thankfully though, that's the pilot's responsibility to worry about!!

From a practical perspective, if a pilot is inbound IFR (and it's usually quite obvious from a flight plan or the initial call) he'll get an IFR clearance and I'll vector him to the ILS. If the pilot says he is VFR or asks for a practice ILS, he'll get the same words etc with a few more caveats about maintaining VMC and telling me if he can't. Technically he'll be on a VFR clearance but because he's on radar he'll get separation from all other traffic that I'm dealing with (assuming he's inside my bit of controlled airspace).

Unless this were all to happen in class A - and it can't because you can't fly VFR in class A - all pilots should be aware that there may be VFR traffic that they have to look out for.

It's all very messy - I guess because when the rules were drawn up practicing in VFR wasn't the first consideration. So long as you stay within the weather conditions that you are permitted to fly in and tell the controller that you are VFR, you shouldn't have too much trouble broadening your experience. I am sure that any airport that is likely to be able to fit you in will have dealt with the question in the past.

S-Works
19th Oct 2003, 02:00
I am sorry but I don't understand your view here Beagle. Nobody suggested that he wanted to fly an instrument approach in marginal conditions which is what you seem to be saying. The question was one of flying the ILS in a VFR.

I personally find your view of VFR pilots (even as an IR pilot myself) frankly insulting. You are saying that a VFR pilot is incapable of keeping a lookout as well as a watch on the ILS needles.

Pre IMC and IR days I would often fly the ILS when arriving at an airfield in perfect VMC for the experiance and the knowledge that I was still landing visiually and the ILS was an addittional guide.

When it came to doing it for real I already had the situational awareness of what the needles were telling me and made the ratings much easier to attain.

Even now I will still go and fly a VFR instrument approach for the practice.

wet wet wet
19th Oct 2003, 05:35
In Beagle's defence the key point here is Rule 7 "pilots practising instrument approaches in VMC must tell ATC and carry a safety look out". In other words you need a suitably briefed passenger who can keep his/her eyes outside the cockpit and warn you of any other traffic. Surely only common sense.

S-Works
19th Oct 2003, 06:01
Actually I believe that only applies if they are "simulated" instrument approaches, i.e that the pilot is under the hood, screens etc and is not able to maintain a lookout.

Going back once again to the question it was if he could fly the ILS VFR not simulating IMC.

RatherBeFlying
19th Oct 2003, 06:21
How is it that when I fly an ILS VFR the needles are virtually frozen down to the runway, but under the hood during training they were swinging all over and I was sweating buckets -- that after developing boredom doing them on a simulator?

Oh wait, if it was easier to fly on instruments, initial PPLs would be IFR only and the VFR rating would come later.

BEagle
19th Oct 2003, 06:27
Chapter and verse from the ANO Rules of the Air:

Simulated instrument flight:

Rule 6. An aircraft shall not be flown in simulated instrument flight conditions unless:

(a) the aircraft is fitted with dual controls which are functioning properly;

(b) an additional pilot (in this rule called a "safety pilot") is carried in a second control seat of the aircraft for the purpose of rendering such assistance as may be necessary to the pilot flying the aircraft; and

(c) if the safety pilot's field of vision is not adequate both forward and to each side of the aircraft, a third person, being a competent observer, occupies a position in the aircraft which from his field of vision makes good the deficiencies in that of the safety pilot, and from which he can readily communicate with the safety pilot.
For the purposes of this rule the expression "simulated instrument flight" means a flight during which mechanical or optical devices are used in order to reduce the field of vision or the range of visibility from the cockpit of the aircraft.

Practice instrument approaches:

Rule 7. Within the United Kingdom an aircraft shall not carry out instrument approach practice when flying in Visual Meteorological Conditions unless:

(a) the appropriate air traffic control unit has previously been informed that the flight is to be made for the purpose of instrument approach practice; and

(b) if the flight is not being carried out in simulated instrument flight conditions, a competent observer is carried in such a position in the aircraft that he has an adequate field of vision and can readily communicate with the pilot flying the aircraft.

genius-747
19th Oct 2003, 07:00
Wow I never thought there would be so much debating over this question.

Thanks a million to all that contributed.

Just to clear up one or two things about my initial question.

I was asking if it is possible to request vectors from ATC to become fully established on an ILS and land at the airport, while flying in VMC and maintaining VFR at all times. Using the ILS simply as a means of making a more accurate approach and helping me find that runway extended center line that bit easier. The approach to the runway would be made VFR using the ILS to confirm a good glide path and just make things that bit easier on me in the cockpit especially if the viz is marginal.

I had no intention to be practicing the ILS, just using it to help me with the visual approach, more than likely I would have one or two friends with me anyway and practicing anything with passengers on board is not a good idea, also I dont know how comfortable my pax would be if they heard me requesting practice of something coming into land!

Maby this is a question to be posted on the ATC forum for a definate answer.... I'll let it run another while here to see what may come up first.

Thanks again all who posted.

greatorex
19th Oct 2003, 07:34
genius-747,

Basically, as I see it, so long as you remain in VMC and operate under VFR, there is no problem whatsoever in requesting radar vectors to the ILS - bearing in mind that it will probably cost you substantially more as it will be seen as an instrument (or practice instrument) approach.

Cheers,

G

englishal
19th Oct 2003, 08:36
As usual it seems Beagle and WWW interpret the rules in their own manner. Beagle, I would assume that you know as well as I do that even under IFR in VMC when flying an instrument approach the PIC is still responsible to see an avoid? So whats the difference between a "practice" ILS in VFR conditions and an IFR approach in VMC? Is an Instrument rated pilot required to carry a safety pilot when flying under IFR in VMC...No. You'll then reply that ATC are providing IFR seperation services, and I'll reply do you 100% trust your life to ATC (to save a few extra posts).

Agreed that if under "simulated instrument flight" using a view limiting device then a safety pilot should be carried, but a PPL who's joining and wishes to try his / her hand at an ILS, in VMC conditions, is in my opinion, a fully acceptable scenario. Maybe said PPL would like to see how the instruments react while conducting a visual approach (thats the key phrase here)? Takes no more time to check the needles than checking the P's and T's does it?

[For the record, in the USA you can fly "practice" instrument approaches, and ATC will tell you to "remain VFR, IFR seperation services not provided"]

Cheers
EA:D

SimJock
19th Oct 2003, 11:14
If I am flying VFR to a field that has an ILS on the active runway, I will always set the ILS frequency and QDM whether I fly the ILS or not. It gives you a 'warm glow inside' to see that your instrument is reading on localiser and on glideslope and that the visual picture out of the window is as you would expect, IE the damm thing is working properly and the next time you need it for real you can trust it :-)

If you can actually fly the ILS for a bit without causing a nuisance then do it, look at the power settings you need to stay on it, the effect of your corrections on the visual and instrument picture, store that information away for when you do an IR or IMC rating.

When you land, say you were VFR... save your money..

FJJP
19th Oct 2003, 17:23
A lot of people here are missing the essential point. The ILS is an instrument procedure. That means you should be 'heads down' for the whole procedure right down to decision height. The instrument scan is an important part of the process - a filthy night is not the time to find out that you have a lousy scan technique. It is routine to practice ILS approaches in VMC conditions - but you will be flying under IFR. Hence the need for a safety pilot.

G-747 would be better asking for vectors to 4 miles final for a straight-in approach. There would be no harm in him glancing occasionally at the ILS needles, as he would the ASI, etc. However, any reference to practice ILS approach would be very wrong.

And for those of you who want to take a swipe at Beagle, be very sure that you have a very large amount of flying time (measured in many thousands) to a very large number of locations (measured in many hundreds) right round the world.

Tony Bowers
19th Oct 2003, 18:39
And for those of you who want to take a swipe at Beagle, be very sure that you have a very large amount of flying time (measured in many thousands) to a very large number of locations (measured in many hundreds) right round the world.I am sure that BEagle is a very fine and capable pilot, a prince amongst instructors and a fair and kind examiner.

However, I have known many people who fit the above description who are arrogant, rude, know-it-all bullies who actually know very little about anything outside their specialism. Just to give one example, I have flown with a Concord Training Captain, TRE/IRE with tens of thousands of hours who had never, I say again never, filled in a flight plan form.

Any pilot from Chuck Yeager down who thinks that he knows it all and is beyond rebuke or criticism is a liability to himself, his passengers, the general public and the industry.

It is most unfair for others to drag BEagle's name around like this. He, himself, is making no claims to his own infalibility, why do others feel that they have a need or a right to do so on his behalf?

Tony

BEagle
19th Oct 2003, 19:08
Thanks, Tony et al.

Experience might help in making suggestions, but it does not confer infallibility! As I said to a young co-pilot I was debriefing only a year or so ago "Don't forget that even the oldest and most experienced gits in the other seat can kill you if you let them screw up unchallenged!"

Personally I feel that FJJP's post: "A lot of people here are missing the essential point. The ILS is an instrument procedure. That means you should be 'heads down' for the whole procedure right down to decision height. The instrument scan is an important part of the process - a filthy night is not the time to find out that you have a lousy scan technique." sums up the situation admirably.

But to fly the instrument procedure you need to have been properly trained and to hold the appropriate qualification.

Incidentally, there is a project afoot to introduce a 'Basic IR' proposal which we would hope to be a procedural endorsement to an IMC Rating, recognised internationally, allowing access to lower levels of Class A airspace without the need for a full IR. But it's going to take time - and at this stage it's only a proposal.

greatorex
19th Oct 2003, 19:10
FJJP,

I agree with your point about the ILS being entirely and instrument procedure, however, I think that the question was more of one about 'Could I get radar vectors to the ILS and keep an eye on the needles on my way in?' rather than executing the entire operation heads down all the way through.

Tony Bowers,

I am sure that BEagle is a very fine and capable pilot, a prince amongst instructors and a fair and kind examiner. You are absolutely correct! I know of no one who has done more for GA in the UK in recent times than he has .

Cheers,

G

BEagle
19th Oct 2003, 19:49
greatorex - thanks for your kind words, but I can certainly think of many who've advanced the cause of GA rather more than I have - Polly Vacher for one!

Vectors to a straight-in visual approach whilst keeping the odd eye on your ILS display (not a bad idea to check that it actually works before you need it in anger!) is one thing; untrained attempts at a 'real' ILS (even in VMC) quite another.

Now, as to whether flying a properly qualified pilot flying an ILS approach to land in VMC is 'carrying out instrument approach practice' as regulated under Rule 7, I wouldn't wish to comment upon. What exactly constitutes 'practice'....:confused:

bookworm
19th Oct 2003, 21:36
I have never heard the phrase and i do not actually think it exists of a simulated ILS approach under VFR .

Out of interest, which bit do you object to? 'Simulated'? Although I don't think it's strictly necessary here, it seems to adhere to the general principle that I've been taught to distinguish practice from simulated. If I announce that I'm flying practice asymmetric, it means that I've shut an engine down for training. If I'm simulated asymmetric, it means that the power on one engine has been retarded but I can get it back at short notice. Similarly with IAPs, I can (and sometimes do) go and make practice approaches on a day with 1000 m vis and a ceiling of 400 ft. If I'm ending an operational flight with an ILS in VMC, I'm simulating the need for the instrument approach, even though I'm not flying for the practice. I don't know of any official definitions to justify the distinction, but it seems to be a widely held convention.

If when I am quiet and a local aircraft requests from myself an ILS approach all I ask from them is if they are doing the approach VFR or IFR.

What if you're not quiet? In my experience there is an implicit assumption that an aircraft that requests an ILS approach will fly it under IFR. If a pilot wants (or is obliged) to fly it under VFR, I think he needs to make that explicit.

Eira
19th Oct 2003, 22:28
At our airport any aircraft who makes an approach for the ILS who does not intend to land has to book a Beacon Slot .
Aircraft not training and landing, unless we are subject to PPR ,are able to be vectored in for an ILS when they request it and as you rightly said if they are IFR we expect to vector them for an ILS approach or NDB or SRA whichever type of approach they request.
I have only ever encountered locally based aircraft request VFR ILS approaches, they are aware of our situation with training and thus only request from us an approach when we are quiet, knowing full well that we will do our best to accomodate them when we are busy but that they will be significantly delayedas they are not scheduled flights and are training flights which take a lower priority.
Any aircraft which requires to make an ILS approach will be accomodated be it VFR or IFR but I must ask under what circumstances you would think a VFR aircraft must make an approach with the ILS.
I do not object to the statement Simulated ILS under VFR it just would be met with the response of what ????
you are either flying the ILS or you are not as far as we are concerned

FJJP
19th Oct 2003, 22:44
I am not Beagles keeper - I happen to know the man and his background - but I find that personal remarks against any individual (even those who post the most stupid and ill-informed comments), tend to lower the standard of comment towards 'not worth reading the forum'. I rarely visit Jet Blast for just that reason - it became very tedious.

Similarily, There are so-called experts out there (you spot them from the quality and depth of knowledge in their comments) who really have little right to slag off those with a lifetime career in professional aviation. [By the way, I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here - it's a general observation].

The terminology 'simulated' and 'practice' in relation to asymmetric flight was introduced some years ago to differentiate between ESD and flight idle aproaches; in certain ac types the parameters for commitment to landing differ significantly, and it was an early warning to ATC to prepare them for final clearances.

There is no such thing as 'practice' and 'simulated' ILS approaches. An ILS is an ILS whether flown in IMC or VMC. You can practice ILS approaches in both VMC and IMC, but how do you simulate an ILS?

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Oct 2003, 00:09
To cap it all:

BEagle wrote:
Vectors to a straight-in visual approach whilst keeping the odd eye on your ILS display (not a bad idea to check that it actually works before you need it in anger!) is one thing
and FJJD said:G-747 would be better asking for vectors to 4 miles final for a straight-in approach. There would be no harm in him glancing occasionally at the ILS needles, as he would the ASI, etc.
The way I read the first posting by G-747 that was all he was after.

I think it is also fairly safe to say that all on here would agree that any attempt to fly an IAP without appropriate training in simulated or real IMC would be foolish indeed.

With that all out of the way can we skip the aggro and have a beer?

The problem with these internet based 'conversations' is that we as humans are used to the fact that 80% of interhuman communication is non-verbal, and the lack of that 80% is evident

Those who read these messages have to bear that in mind as do those that post.

As the French say: 'C'est le ton qui fait la musique'

The likelihood that we would all get on fine if meeting up in our local is pretty good, methinks.

FD

bookworm
20th Oct 2003, 00:29
Any aircraft which requires to make an ILS approach will be accomodated be it VFR or IFR but I must ask under what circumstances you would think a VFR aircraft must make an approach with the ILS.
I do not object to the statement Simulated ILS under VFR it just would be met with the response of what ????
you are either flying the ILS or you are not as far as we are concerned

Yes, I take the point, Eira. Every ILS approach under VFR is simulated, so why mention it? The VFR part is the important bit.

englishal
20th Oct 2003, 01:03
My last penneth worth :D

There seems to be a common misconception that flying IFR is a "heads in cockpit" thing. This may be true in IMC, but in VMC you should NOT keep your head in the cockpit. You may be receiving seperation services from ATC but ATC can vector you into a mountain, or into the path of pop up traffic they didn't pick up in time, and ultimately its the PIC's responsibility to see and avoid. I respect high time experienced pilots and learn a lot from them, however its in my nature to question what they say when what they say hasn't been justified properly.

Still, as FD no doubt we'd all get along in the pub which is the important thing :D

EA

genius-747
20th Oct 2003, 01:12
Hi,
its me, the creator of this online cat fight!!!

BEagle wrote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vectors to a straight-in visual approach whilst keeping the odd eye on your ILS display (not a bad idea to check that it actually works before you need it in anger!) is one thing
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and FJJD said:

quote:
G-747 would be better asking for vectors to 4 miles final for a straight-in approach. There would be no harm in him glancing occasionally at the ILS needles, as he would the ASI, etc.

Thats all I want to use the ILS for, and I am guessing from what I have read it is completely acceptabe to request vectors for a 3-4 mine final straight in.

When ATC give you these vectors how would they give you the final vector onto the runway course. I know with vectors for the ILS they say something like

"G-EOXX turn left heading 240 to intercept the localiser report established"

"How would ATC do it if you request Radar Vectors for a 3 mile straight in approach for runway xx"

Thanks a bunch for all the replies, made for a great read.

ps: Beagle, sorry you had to get so much stick in this thread!

P

BEagle
20th Oct 2003, 01:29
Ah well, what's wrong with a wee bit of craic.....;)

If you ask for vectors to a straight-in visual, you'll probably be asked to report RW in sight and then directed to TWR frequency.

Strictly speaking, if there are others in the visual circuit, you'd have to fit in with them. Appearing on a 4 mile visual final won't give you priority over someone in the conventional circuit. Or rather, it shouldn't......

When I was Duty Instructor at RAF Benson some years ago, we had 4 students in the visual circuit. A Queen's Flight (as it was then) BAe 146, having offloaded the royals and corgis elsewhere, announced that it was 'straight in with the RW in sight'. I told the tower controller to instruct the 146 that he was cleared to join with 4 in and to report deadside. "I can't do that...it's the Queen's Flight" retorted the air trafficker. "Yes you will, them's the rules" quoth I. And he did - and the Queen's Flight mate thought it was Christmas as he gleefully broke into the circuit right over the tower! "Don't often get the chance to have that much fun", he said!

So enjoy the freedom of visual flying and get a good understanding of ILS with MS flight sim or whatever. Then do your IMC rating - but don't forget the joys of basic visual flying even in Class D airspace - it's your right! And have FUN - that's what really matters and why we do it!

Keef
20th Oct 2003, 01:55
My goodness me! I go away for a couple of weeks, and come back to catfights on PPRuNe. Tut!

My home field is one of those fine places that charges the same landing fee whatever aids you use or don't use. So whenever I return home with another pilot in the RHS, I ask for a practice ILS (or NDB, or whatever) procedure. Out comes the hood, and off we go.

It keeps the skills slightly honed, it keeps the FAA IR valid (need 6 approaches in 6 months for that), and is good for the soul too.

With no pilot in the RHS, I join VFR. I might have the ILS selected, just to check that the needles are doing what they should, but no more than that.

I've been safety pilot for another IR practising in VMC under full ATC control, and had to shout "break off the turn" as another aircraft flew exactly where we were going to be. Not showing on radar, shouldn't have been there (Class B airspace), but no consolation if we'd hit him.

Tinstaafl
20th Oct 2003, 06:06
Genius, when you want to 'do' the ILS, arrange your clearance for a 10nm final starting at 2000' or so & ask for all the lights to be on full bright. Tell them it's for photos IF (unlikely) they ask anything.

Enjoy the view & seeing how precisely the ILS will reflect your VFR approach flight path deviations.

Say again s l o w l y
20th Oct 2003, 06:45
Can't really see all the fuss. Most people fly an approach far more accurately visually than any ILS. If it is to be used for the localiser only, just like tracking a VOR, then I see no problem, However using the glideslope... It's only hitting the ground that usually kills you isn't it. As Beagle et al have said mixing and matching the types of approach is not really a sensible thing to do. It is too easy for inexperienced pilots to get fixated on the wrong instrument. (Ask me how I know that!) Get an IMC or IR and learn how to do it properly rather than mucking about and potentially bending a perfectly good aircraft.

No more BEagle bashing please, he knows more about flying and flight training than most of us here put together. Personally I like it that he doesn't pull his punches I feel he's earnt that right, have you? Dealing with daft questions day in, day out can be a little wearing, especially when the answer is usually common sense. Just because somebody doesn't agree with your egotistical view on a subject doesn't give anybody carte-blanche to attack somebody's character as has happened earlier on this thread.

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Oct 2003, 16:16
Thank you for that SASlowly.

I can only go on what people post here. As I explained on here we do not have the benefit of the important non-verbal communication on these forums so that makes it sometimes difficult to discern what people are like and how things are meant to come across.

Upon reflection of my contributions I can not say that at any time I have played the man and not the ball.

Surely I have disagreed with people who are may be in years and experience many times my senior. That can not be a problem can it?

Am not sure where you are coming from as it seems that we, in the end, all agreed.

Made me chuckle when you felt the need to have a sneer: IO540 and FD you have come across as having a serious ego issue after just pleading for:No more BEagle bashing please

May be just as well you are an instructor and not a psychologist.

Would it be a good idea, in your quest to make the world a better place, to show others the respect you obviously desire?

FD

FlyingForFun
20th Oct 2003, 16:54
One point I'm surprised no one else has picked up on yet: as a VFR pilot, flying a VFR approach in good visual conditions, I might find the localiser useful to check that I'm lined up with the runway, head outside but with an occassional glance inside to check the needle is centred.

But I wouldn't want to use the glideslope - it would put me much lower than I'd like to be.

FFF
-----------

Say again s l o w l y
20th Oct 2003, 17:14
HMM, maybe a a bit of an over reaction, but I still stand by (most of)my comments. BEag's may have a gruff way of putting stuff across, but it doesn't make his points any less valid.

FD, who threw the first (verbal) punch here anyway?? I did feel you both came across as being overly aggressive and I have felt the same on other threads. All these combine to give a picture of a type of pilot all instructors have to deal with every day. Namely the egotistical, I'm better than everybody else despite all evidence to the contrary. I have no idea whether this is true or not, as I have never had the pleasure of meeting you, but as you say, sometimes on these forums we need to be careful about causing offence.

I will throw this into the mix, if somebody came into your office and started to throw their weight around. Despite the fact they are far less qualified or experienced than you and only see that world from one perspective. Would it not aggravate you?

FFF I think your point is one that a few people have made.

ratt
20th Oct 2003, 19:26
the average military ATCO hasn't a clue about the requirements of Rule 6 & 7

BEagle - I would asume that pilots would follow the rules when making any approach to an airfield. I am stating that the facility is there to be used. The ATCO knows the rules that he needs to and expects the pilot to do likewise. I wouldn't know that someone's PPL was out of date if they called up for a FIS now would I?

TKF - I would suggest phoning your local a/f for pricing info.

Timothy
20th Oct 2003, 19:54
SA s

FD is actually a very nice chap, exceedingly helpful, works in a caring profession and is the last person that I would describe as either aggressive or arrogant.

I daresay that this has all been an example, as he says himself, of the verbals overarching the non-verbals.

I had a similar experience at the hands of bose-x and greatorex on another thread recently and am perfectly happy to put it down to different accents being put on words than are intended.

Just as a matter of interest, say the following sentence seven times, emphasising each of the words once on each occasion.

I didn't say she stole the money

W

Say again s l o w l y
20th Oct 2003, 20:09
Very good WC, shows how the meaning changes with different emphasis.:ok: Point made and taken!

S-Works
20th Oct 2003, 20:13
I had the same dicsussion this morning with 2donkeys over something else. It way to easy to apply our interpretation as to the cannotation of the words in front of us.

We seem to read into them what we want to see and this seems to end up causing a lot of conflict.

A lot of this seems to stem from people trying to keep there message brief and thereby posting the "facts" as they see them. This then leads others thinking they are being blunt or dictatorial.

Perhaps we really all just need to chill over a beer and get to know each other first!!!

And WC my point exactly, our exchange was just me chiding you humoursly not an attack. Those who actully know me will tell you it is just my warped humour...........

2Donkeys
20th Oct 2003, 20:41
WC,

Bose-x tells me that we have both got him wrong...

:D

BTW I am amazed that this thread has gone on for quite as long as it has.

For a VFR pilot to request and get accepted to fly an ILS outside controlled airspace and in VMC is not an unusual thing. Providing that the initial request makes it clear that the pilot must remain VMC, there is no issue. Aircraft operating in VMC have a general duty to maintain a lookout, regardless of whether they are IFR or VFR and this does not necessarily cause death and carnage on instrument approaches around the globe.

Hopefully Genius has his answer now and will enjoy the practice. He may even be sufficiently motivated to go ahead and persuade the IAA to part with an IR :D

2D

Timothy
20th Oct 2003, 23:19
bose-x

2D and I know each other very well indeed, and neither of us is short of a sense of humour.

If we are both offended by your style, it may just be that you need to re-examine whether your humour comes over as well as you think. Certainly your talking about my genitalia didn't have me rolling on the floor, nor references to the implication that I think that my having an Aztec places me closer to God than a "Senneca" pilot.

Yes, maybe a beer or a curry would help us understand your posting style, but can I suggest that until that happy day you try and make fewer assumptions about how we might read your postings?

W

S-Works
20th Oct 2003, 23:33
Ok here we go again, just can't leave it alone can you?

No wonder the pair of you get on so well.......

My assumptions of how you read my postings are very obviously correct. If your ego is so fragile as not to be able to see humour then I suggest that you find somewhere else to give sage advice.

It is the right of every poster to express an opinion and not be brow beaten by you into believing that whatever you say is the gospel.

I tried to reconcile by highlighting the problems with interpretation both publicly and privately but obviously your ego is still damaged enough to keep on dragging this up on yet another thread.

Take a look at your own style of writing before you are so quick to post critism of others. For the record I had many PM's from people agreeing with me.

So Get a life.

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Oct 2003, 23:35
Come on guys,

Can we not just go for a curry and a few beers rather than having a scrap here?

FD

S-Works
20th Oct 2003, 23:42
Hey (with petulant lip stuck out..) I offered that!

Wasn't me that started yet another attack...............

Now where are my oversized trousers and nirvana CD's..............

Flyin'Dutch'
20th Oct 2003, 23:48
So venue and time it is then.............................

FD

(Out of the country 25/10 - 3/11)

2Donkeys
20th Oct 2003, 23:54
Fd wrote "(Out of the country 25/10 - 3/11)"

Me too! I thought I'd heard that you were being forced to return to blighty for a bit during that period :D

Timothy
21st Oct 2003, 00:18
From discussions I am having with FD on an entirely unrelated matter, Tue Nov 11 might be a possibility.

W

2Donkeys
21st Oct 2003, 00:20
Works for me, I think.

Timothy
21st Oct 2003, 00:24
If FD and I are meeting up it will be in the Redhill area (for reasons that will be obvious to 2D ;) ), so Gurkha's Kitchen in Reigate?

W

FlyingForFun
21st Oct 2003, 00:28
Ah yes - a thread about an ILS. What a logical place to put details of a bash - it was the first place I thought of looking when I fancied a drink ;)

Can I suggest a new thread?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it, because I'll be too busy flying around Florida :cool: It's a hard life :( :p But I will look forward the the new, friendly Private Flying forum when I get back!!!

FFF
--------------

2Donkeys
21st Oct 2003, 00:28
Don't know it, but would be delighted to become acquainted.

Timothy
21st Oct 2003, 00:31
FD, 2D and I are all very familiar with each other's eMail addresses. Can I propose that bose-x PMs his eMail address so that we "take this outside" :} :ouch: :cool: :p

W

IO540
21st Oct 2003, 00:49
IO540 and FD you have come across as having a serious ego issue

I would like to know how I have given that impression. What did I say?

Say again s l o w l y
21st Oct 2003, 00:57
Sorry IO I got you mixed up, I was thinking of somebody else and typed your name instead! :O As you can see I've already removed it from my post.

Flyin'Dutch'
21st Oct 2003, 01:02
IO540 have to say that it has indeed been removed.

Why don't you guys join us for a curry and a beer?

11/11 should work fine for me.

FD

fms_fail
21st Oct 2003, 01:32
So if flying the ils in vfr rules / vmc conditions.....the ils is taking you through some cloud.....are you staying inside the priv ..of licence..... Just a thought to munch on!

2Donkeys
21st Oct 2003, 02:06
errrmm no! But nobody is suggesting flying an ILS in conditions other than VMC.

2D

IO540
21st Oct 2003, 02:16
Incidentally I gather some people go to Calais to do ILS practice; it is said to be cheaper than anywhere in the UK. I asked whether an IR is needed (IFR in France needs an IR) but apparently in VMC anybody can do it.

2Donkeys
21st Oct 2003, 02:30
Incidentally I gather some people go to Calais to do ILS practice; it is said to be cheaper than anywhere in the UK. I asked whether an IR is needed (IFR in France needs an IR) but apparently in VMC anybody can do it.

This is because the clearance given by French ATC is a VFR clearance. You cannot accept an IFR clearance in France unless you have a valid IR for the aircraft you are flying - even if you stay in VMC.

2D

S-Works
21st Oct 2003, 02:47
At the risk of being lynched as a trouble maker I am also on for the curry, just need to tap up a mate to stay local. I can fly into Redhill from the frozen north.

B-X

niknak
21st Oct 2003, 03:32
I can't help feeling that some of the comments in this post could easily encourage an inexperienced PPL to try something that they're not quite ready for.

From ATC's viewpoint, in the UK, there's no such thing as a "practice" or a "VFR" ILS approach, you're either vectored by radar under a Radar Advisory or a Radar Information Service, or you carry out the approach procedurally, and we expect the pilot in command to ensure that they are qualified and competent to deal with any subsequent situation that they may find themselves in, (but if not we'll always help you out;) ).

At our place, we treat all aircraft doing instrument approaches as such, and you don't get charged anything extra for the privilage!

Timothy
21st Oct 2003, 03:37
niknak

If your place is where I think it is, the opposite is true...everyone is charged as if they had made an ILS, even if they joined VFR :}

W

spekesoftly
21st Oct 2003, 04:36
The example quoted in the original question would require radar vectoring inside Class 'D' Controlled Airspace - 'Radar Control' n'est-ce pas?

vintage ATCO
21st Oct 2003, 05:06
absolument!

I've been asked for a practice ILS approach. Just vectored the guy for it. I expect him to tell me if he can't accept anything.

VA

Flyin'Dutch'
21st Oct 2003, 05:49
WCollins,

That is one beer less you get from me.

Be nice to Niknak, he has to put up with the likes of me in the next few weeks!!

Look at it from their perspective, you get the ILS thrown in for free at no extra charge over the visual approach.

FD

PS: Bose-x we'll sort summit out!

niknak
22nd Oct 2003, 03:50
W.C.

Just for the record, the vast majority of regional airports landing fees are split roughly 50/50 into a navigational and a landing charge, regardless of whether you arrive IFR or VFR.
If you wanted to make a number of IFR approaches, but only one landing, you'd only be charged the navigational fee for each approach.
Usually this is additionally subsidised by a significant discount for training (between 50 and 75% at ours and most other places).
We also give a discount of up to 50% for VFR aircraft who are genuine PPL instructional trainers, (and a few who tell untruths and get away with it :suspect: ).
On top of that, I've been told (but not verified it) that we offer a cheaper G/A landing fee than most regional airports.

Little wonder that there's no money to replace the ILS, rebuild the taxiways, repair the runways or keep me in doughnuts on a daily basis....... :p

Timothy
22nd Oct 2003, 05:22
niknak

I was only pulling your leg (as you know). You are quite right that you are no worse than EMA, LBA, ADN, CDF and other comparable megaports. On the other hand, your traffic density is a lot lighter than many regional airports (or seems to be whenever I am there) and you might increase your income for no cost if you lowered the GA rates. I use you if I am going to the county town, but always use the less well equipped GA fields if I am going elsewhere in the region.

Respect to Inverness, though, who have very low VFR fees, and what seems like a fair bit more commercial traffic than you.

W