PDA

View Full Version : need a consultation

number
17th Oct 2003, 23:21
A friend of mine keeps bothering me saying that the majority of airline pilots come from a military background and they are more prepared than those who have a civil background training.
I don't have a militar background and I don't think so that militar ones are more prepared, and I don't even believe that the majority of airline pilots comes from the militar aviation.
The point is that I can't prove this with any document or statistics, can anyone demonstrate it?
thank you!

Celtic Frog
18th Oct 2003, 21:07
Number..your friend is talking a load of excrement.

I don't know what the statistics say (if such statistics exist) but in my experience of 20 years airline flying I would say that the majority (probably about 80-90% )of airline pilots are NOT ex military .

Furthermore, military pilots are trained to fulfil different reasons for flying such as air combat and other tactical issues.

Sure, they can fly the actual aeroplanes OK, but being an airline pilot isn't just about flying the beast...it's about teamwork, commercial efficiency, and maximising safety and comfort to passengers...not all of which take priority in the military.

There's a famous saying that you can take a man out of the military, but you can't take the miltary out of a man...and all too often this can become a problem with CRM and teamwork in the flightdeck. No disrespect to the many excellent airline pilots out there who are ex - military...but don't get sucked into the myth that civilian pilots are given inferior training.

Hope this helps.

:D