PDA

View Full Version : Lee on Solent ?

Flybywyre
17th Oct 2003, 15:33
Can anyone give me some information on Lee on Solent airfield ? Such as is there an active flying club, can you hire aircraft and are there any grouped aircraft, can you base a PA28 type aircraft there, is there a clubhouse where you can get a bite to eat ? BEER....can you get a drink ? etc etc......
Thanks in anticipation
FBW

Evo
17th Oct 2003, 15:41
Nice place Lee, although the local procedures are a bit different. There's a fairly active gliding club with a clubhouse/bar, but it has always been empty when i've gone in so not somewhere you can go for a quick cuppa and a bite to eat (unless you make it yourself/heat it up in the microwave). I think the clubhouse is mainly active in evenings?

No aircraft hire in the traditional club sense (no club!), although there is at least one instructor operating from Lee (doing my IMC :ok: ) and I think there's a 172 based there that is for hire. There are a number of groups and hangar space is being advertised at the moment so I expect you could base an aeroplane there without much difficulty.

If you need more info PM me and i'll put you in touch with someone who can answer questions.

HTH

Fuji Abound
17th Oct 2003, 17:24
Evo - is it possible to pay Lee a visit now? You use to have to be on business.

Evo
17th Oct 2003, 18:41
Fuji - I'm not sure. The only non-Lee visitors I know about are en-route to maintenance, and some of those get turned away for not being careful with PPR. My guess would be that it's difficult but not impossible.

Flybywyre
17th Oct 2003, 20:02
Thanks Evo..................
Decided to come down there on Monday, stay the night and check the place and the local area out. I will be moving to the south coast in the not to distant future and want to live close to an airfield that I can fly from. With that in mind I would be interested in your opinion of the area in general, so if you fancy a beer on Monday night PM me
Regards
FBW

Evo
17th Oct 2003, 20:55
You've got mail :)