PDA

View Full Version : Converting FAA to JAA instruction

MEI
16th Oct 2003, 04:07
Was wondering what the deal is to convert my CFI, instrument and multi engine to JAR?? Any details or tips greatly appreciated.

Regis Potter
16th Oct 2003, 07:44
No conversion per se; Some concessions though: You need to sit the 14 JAA written exams and training required for the JAR-FCL CPL, min 15hrs training for I.R. and required training & proficiency test for F.I. rating, and a JAA Class 1 medical certificate.

This is required for financial reward. There may be an alternative if you only want to teach for fun.

StrateandLevel
16th Oct 2003, 19:46
Could be simpler!

If you obtain a JAA PPL and have 500 hours total time, you could do the JAA CRI(ME) Course comprising of 5 hours flight instruction and 60 hours groundschool (35 MEI and 35 Teaching and Learning).

You would only be able to teach ME to licence holders and could not be remunerated.

DesiPilot
16th Oct 2003, 22:25
Strateandlevel,

I am afraid it is not this simple. The route you mentioned is for an FAA MEI to teach JAA MEP courses in the USA. The flight training is conducted by the Head of Training.

MEI,

The LASORS clearly says that the FI candidate must pass the CPL (or ATPL) theoratical examination. You must hold a JAA licence, i.e. PPL/CPL/ATPL, to attach your FI rating to. The minimum course requirements are also given in the LASOR (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_H.pdf).

There are four FIC Instructors in the USA (my apologies if I missed someone) who can conduct your training. In alphabetical order their names:

Iain Davidson at Western Michigan University www.wmich.edu
Pierse Smerdon at www.deltaconnectionacademy.com
Steven Fisher at IFTA www.intlflight.com
Trevor Brackston at EFT www.europeanflighttrainng.com

Out of the four listed, Iain and Pierse are also Flight Instructor Examiners (FIE). I suggest you get in touch with them directly and they will guide you. When I did my course it took me approximately 3 weeks to convert to JAA CPL and JAA FI rating. I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jatin

StrateandLevel
17th Oct 2003, 01:56
"I am afraid it is not this simple. The route you mentioned is for an FAA MEI to teach JAA MEP courses in the USA."

Yes it is!

A JAA PPL holder with 500 hours can complete a CRI(ME) Course see JAR FCL 1.380.

The training you refer to is for the FI rating not CRI and applies to JAA instruction outside a JAA State in accordance with JAR-FCL 1.300

MEI
17th Oct 2003, 05:01
Alright lads settle down,

here's the rest of the info. I live in Ireland have FAA comercial multi engine land ratings, CFI , CFII and an MEI. I also have converted this to a JAA and hold JAA commercial multi engine with the IR. I just want to do some simple instructing because I love it. Is it worth it or a waste of time.??

StrateandLevel
18th Oct 2003, 04:30
So all you need to do is the JAA CRI(ME) Course. Its worth it, if you can find enough customers to cover the cost. That might be difficult.

The Yank
20th Oct 2003, 21:09
If you want to convert your FAA CFI/CFII MEI to the jar Eqiv. you must after passing the JAR ATPL then do half of the Jar FIC couse 15 hour flight and then 60 hour ground

this is to teach under JAR in a Jar country!!