PDA

View Full Version : New 'Jersey Aeroclub' Site

Flying Boat
16th Oct 2003, 00:00
Jersey Aeroclub has a new website.:)

Many people will say "at last'' & I agree.

It is full of useful info on getting to & from Jersey (.pdf) as well as regularly being updated with forthcoming events.

There is information about the club and also the flying training that the club can provide, you can also read our online newsletter.

The web page has contact links for the club and also links to some useful sites.

Follow the link to the Nav2000 site, enter the Bagnolles page, click on the aeroclub link & you will find 2 pages of useful Aviation French Vocabulary

The New Site Adress is: www.jerseyaeroclub.com

Enjoy reading it & let us know what you think.

FB:ok:

To the Moderator: I am not employed by the Club, just a member, so I am not trying to sell anything.
I helped with the site & think it will provide a useful source of information for pilots wanting to fly to the Channel Islands.
If you could see your way to making it a sticky I think it will help many touring pilots. Thank you.:D

GroundBound
16th Oct 2003, 19:54
FB

having (re) gained my PPL at jersey a couple of years ago, its nice to see the new site. I have the impression the PA28s (Boxb etc.) have been replaced with nice new ones, complete with GPS?

Maybe I'll be back to do my IMC, if I can find the time :)

BTW, was that Bob's grinning face in one of the pictures?

Flying Boat
17th Oct 2003, 03:51
GB

BOXB, BUJO, BJOA & MLFF were sold, BOXA, BOXC & BPDT, remain as do BTYC(C150) & APLO(DHC1)
There are 3 new planes so far, JACA (PA28 W3), JACB & JACC (PA28 Archer3s).
The 3 new planes have 2 Garmin 430s each. The Archers have an Autopilot for touring, lovely for a Southern France trip, JACC also has an electric HSI linked to the Garmins & the Autopilot.

Return for the IMC, you'll not regret it.

Yes that was Bob "Dats Luvly" Powell, on at least one of the pictures.

Happy Flying

FB:)

PS Where in Belgium are you from, I normally enter Schengen through Ostende if going that way, a wonderfully GA friendly airport with a 3.2km runway.
Only 2.5 hrs in BUJO, BOXB or BJOA from EGJJ.

Flying Boat
19th Oct 2003, 16:55
Just Keeping it alive for a few more days:O

FB

Flying Boat
5th Nov 2003, 06:00
The site has a couple of event updates.:)

The spot landing competition, 30th November, go for it.

The Christmas lunch parties.

Happy Landings!

Aussie Andy
5th Nov 2003, 06:47
We've decided on a trip in early May 2004 which will be via the Channel Islands, with overnight in Jersey, thence onto northern France / Champagne in a Warrior. So we are looking for decent overnight accomodation ideally near to the airport for our overnight stay.

I have checked out the excellent website - very nice! I followed the link to www.jersey.com but there isn't a way to find accomodation which is close to the airport.

Would be interested in any suggestions.

Cheers!

Andy :O

Flap40
5th Nov 2003, 17:43
The Island is only 9 x 5 miles so nowehere is very far from the airport and there is a good range of hotels at all prices. If you can afford it I would recommend the Atlantic which is down towards thw SW corner.

Taxi's are not what I would call "cheap" but car hire is.

Enjoy!

Flying Boat
13th Nov 2003, 06:25
Aussie Andy, sorry for not replying quicker.

Flap 40 is right, Jersey is the biggest of the Islands but only 9x5, with a 43 mile coast.

If you are looking for overnight accom, you could try anywhere in St Aubins, by the sea for the Kids (of all ages) but a beautiful fishing village with a few pubs, the Randalls Pub opposite the Harbour is nice, as well as some excellent restaurants. The Old Court House (attached to a very good hotel), Blue Fish2, Salty Dog, Harbour view Bistro (attached to a very good guest House), Bon Viveur, La Barca & Ker Francois.

St Aubins is about 10 minutes from the airport & only about 5 pounds taxi fare. The flying room will call a taxi for you if you wish, or you can, 01534 499 999 (citycabs) there are other companies but City Cabs are based in St Aubins.

I have stayed in the Old Court House (St Aubins), Harbour View, Bryn Y Mor, Miramar (St Brelades) and Mayfair Hotel (St Helier).

The last 2 are Hotels, very comfortablefor the price, but cater for the Full Board holiday maker - the food is not as good as can be found else where.

You can find all of these on the Jersey Holiday website. Even if you had to go into St Helier you may only expect a 12-15 taxi fare from the airport.

I recommend getting your accom before arriving, because it is a small island with even smaller accommodation supplies.

When leaving make sure you tell the taxi driver it is the aeroclub you are going to, he would take a different route to the terminal & that will cost roughly an extra 2 pounds.

When leaving Jersey, all formalities can be done through the club flying room and advice received. You can easily reach Reims from Jersey, non stop, in a PA28. If you intend to go through a different customs airport before Reims or Epernay I can recommend Rouen (nice restaurant upstairs for lunch), or you could try Deauville.

Don't forget, Jersey is outside the UK & EEC, you must enter France through a customs controlled airfield, the French are very helpful & accommodating, especially if you call them before & give your details in French.

Take a printed copy of the Aviation French pages from the previously mentioned source.

PM me if you want to ask anything else.

Have a good trip.

Charlie Foxtrot India
14th Nov 2003, 20:35
OA Sold?!:{ My favourite aeroplane, where did it go? many happy memories of that one and XA, XB, XC and HB. Anyone remember AI? Did my first solo in that one back in '88...

Favourite quote from Bob:

"So what if me maps are out of date? If they were good enough for me dad, they're good enough for me! Dat's the important ting"

Bob, just kidding, I love your style!

The great thing about Jersey Aero Club is that even though the buildings and the aeroplanes get newer, the people are still the same as they were back in my formative aviation years many moons ago.

I'll be home for a visit soon orrighteh?

Flying Boat
15th Nov 2003, 01:41
OA was my favourite too:sad: I flew her to Germany, Benelux Countries, all over France & down to Rome one year.
2 club distance trophies in OA.

The new planes are very good though, especially for a long lazy tour with the autopilot in the 2 new Archers.

I did my PPL in 1996 & AI had gone.

See you in Jersey soon.

Flap40
15th Nov 2003, 05:49
Did my GFT in Aug 85 in 'AI. I think is is still around the UK somewhere. I've seen 'RN at Perth within the last year along with BDBU.
The latest issue of Todays Pilot has an article on Tatenhill and if you look at the bottom of page 29 you'll see 'OA minus her spats.

pilotwolf
15th Nov 2003, 16:20
Aerbabe and I popped in for a lunch last Monday while missing our flight...

Very nice, friendly modern place with good grub.

Shame there wasn't much flying activity and no sign whatsoever of anything rotary... :(

mikeo
16th Nov 2003, 05:57
BOXB crashed trying to take off from a field in England earlier this year - it's a write off. No one was injured thankfully.

Am I the only person without broadband? When I looked at the Jersey aeroclub website just now (at 48,000 bit per second) the graphics are far too big for us modem users!

Great if you are at work or have broadband but I abandoned the web site after 1 and a half pages - couldn't wait any longer for my 'nice' pictures.

Web designer(s) - please don't forget those with modems - Keep the graphics to a minimum, keep them small (i.e. in bytes - usually less colours) and test you site!

Flying Boat
16th Nov 2003, 06:47
Mikeo

I don't have broadband as well as, I have downloaded the site in 3 other non broadband locations, no problems.

It is slow if you expect instant pictures, but after just a few seconds the pictures are downloaded.

I have also had times when it comes through slower.

Try your ISP, your telephone supplier & you computer processor loading. They all have an effect on your download time.

Give it another shot from another location, you might be the problem?

Happy Surfing & Flying.

FB

:ok:

Flying Boat
15th Feb 2004, 02:18
Just a quick notice that the website has been updated and there is a link, with a .pdf entry form for the 50th Jersey International Air Rally.

Details of the rally are on the site, and on a thread I started http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118865&highlight=Jersey+Aero+Club

Have a look & how about competing? It is a great weekend.

I'm not competing but I will try to be there to help out, tricky as I don't live on the Island.

Have a good read & see you at the Rally?

Maybe use it as a PPRUNE get together?

Flying Boat
8th Apr 2004, 23:38
Last Chance to join in
It is not too late to join the 50th Jersey International Air Rally.

If you want to join see www.jerseyaeroclub.com

or email:[email protected]

or Telephone Eveline on 01534 743990 or Fax on 01534 741290

See you there.

FB

eyeinthesky
9th Apr 2004, 10:03
Another Hotel is Les Charrieres Country Hotel near St Peter. Not very expensive (c.£30 B&B) and has a carvery and swimming pool. About 10 mins from the airport (£8 ish in a taxi). Fine for a short stay.

Megaton
9th Apr 2004, 10:11
Can thoroughly recommend the Atlantic Hotel. Excellent service and food is exceptional. Champagne from the bar is a bit ob the pricey side. Doh.