PDA

View Full Version : B737-400 Oil Problem

Flight Deck
5th Dec 2001, 06:15
During a type rating course in the USA, I was told that if an engine was to lose oil quantity during cruise you may continue running that engine as long as you don’t move the throttles. They believe the oil will remain in the bearings, and shouldn’t harm the engine. A flight, which had three hours to destination, was used as an example.

In cruise an engine lost oil quantity; the captain continued to run the engine without moving the throttles. Before descent they shut down the engine.

Following discussions with current B737 pilots, I now believe this information to be untrue.

Any feed back would be much appreciated.

Track
5th Dec 2001, 17:59
Wouldn't loss of oil cause high temp and low pressure? Both the HIGH OIL TEMP NNC and the LOW OIL PRESS NNC state: Accomplish the engine failure and shutdown checklist. So I would say; go by "the wise words of Mr Boeing" and shut it down.

Why is it that some many people try to make this profession more difficult than it is, it's all written down in the books!!! :confused: :confused:

[ 05 December 2001: Message edited by: Track ]

cirrus01
5th Dec 2001, 22:56
First thing is to establish rate of oil loss, then bring engine back to idle and monitor loss at that setting, consider options, diversion, WX , etc . If sustainable for length of flight remaining it would be better to keep it going (Elec and air offtakes) keeps down the load on remaining engine. On a twin you might just need that engine if the unthinkable happens and the other one quits :eek:

rr892igw
8th Dec 2001, 10:13
Oil hiding is norm for jet engines.For b737
it is common to see oil level drops to ~65-70% in CRZ.If it coninue to lose >5% per hour,then you have a problem.Perhap what it meants by DONOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE was do nothing to the engines until LOW PRESS or HIGH OIL TEMP come.Meanwhile looking for ALT
would be wise.Inflight shut down is last resort,especially damaging to ETOPS operation.(not more than 2 shut down in 1000
hours).Do it too often then you wouldn't have
to do ETOPS. :D