PDA

View Full Version : Low level X-Country Training

Sqwark2000
15th Oct 2003, 16:09
Hi all,

Have been asked to develop a low level cross-country syllabus for our training programme at work.

Was wondering if anybody else has a similar training syllabus and what you have incorporated into the briefs, considerations etc.

All help gratefully recieved.

Cheers

S2K

sickBocks
15th Oct 2003, 16:26
Dunno how prosecution-happy the NZ CAA are but I would suggest page 1 of your syllabus has in big, bold letters all the low-flying rules.

sB

pilotbear
18th Oct 2003, 05:14
perhaps you could expand a bit on what you need?:ok:

White Shadow
18th Oct 2003, 06:19
A bit I remember vividly from an RAF low-flying exercise in a Tiger, was doing a close-in turn around a tree - allowing for wind speed/direction. Interesting.

Low-level X-countries (in designated areas) -
Draw track-line on map, mark waypoints, and en-route look out for, e.g, road-before-railway or vice-versa (near where they cross); left-or right of a conspicuous something-or-other near the track; trees/water coming up on-time, etc. And the usual VMC track-keeping drill, with a very careful check and correction early-on for drift.
But this was S Rhodesia, where conspicuous pin-points were hard to come by. And counting rivers crossed on-track didn't always work, because they sometimes dried up....
Keeping a very watchful eye for higher-ground due to come up was a must, I seem to remember.
Happy days.
Did somebody mention GPS?
No No No!
Eyes outside, perlease.

WS

poteroo
18th Oct 2003, 18:42
Start with your NZ low flying Regs explanation, in resp. of height AGL, distance off dwellings, what's VMC, etc. Cover your bum - first and foremost!

Next should be the Emergency procedures, eg engine failure,part/full, then loss of forward visibility responses, then collision responses. Include preventive actions such as carby heat, bring in hi and low scan techniques.........

Look at your met aspects, eg turbulence, wind shear, visibilities etc........

Look at your terrain aspects, incl valley decisions, crossing ridges,where you'll expect lift/no lift etc.

Bring in a/c performance + pilot health/wellbeing later

I know it's "eyes outside' all the way, but you still have to teach use of GPS to assist in off track/abeam idents. It's also very instructive in respect of the effect of rough air on GS.

cheers,

Send Clowns
19th Oct 2003, 06:23
Don't forget the pre-descent checks and the descent to low level. Low level navigation also needs some discussion: shorter view, regular checks (6-minute fixes), using by preference tall check features.