PDA

View Full Version : Transfering G-Reg onto the US Register

S-Works
14th Oct 2003, 22:07
How do I transfer a UK based G-reg aircraft onto the USA N register and what do I do about maintaining it?

2Donkeys
14th Oct 2003, 22:14
I'm sure this has been asked and answered before.

In a nutshell

Your aircraft must have at one time been on the N reg, or its manufacturer must still be around and willing to atest that your aircraft complies with the original FAA Type Certification.

You must have an FAA Annual performed, and an FAA Radio Annual.

You must register the aircraft in the US, which will normally mean buying a trust

You will be visited by an FAA DAR (designated airworthiness rep) who will go through all that has happened to the aircraft since it was last on the N and make sure that nothing has been done that will take it out of compliance. CAA additions such as starter warning lights will have to be removed, and any repairs performed and parts fitted will need to be certified as meeting FAA standards. Any Avionics will need to be TSO'd

Once he is happy you will get your C of A, and you are good to go.

Maintenance must then be signed off by an FAA engineer, which does not necessarily mean having it done at an FAA shop, but there are quite a few around.

HTH

2D

S-Works
14th Oct 2003, 22:20
Sounds pretty simple. It is a C152 and came from the US originally on an N-reg. It is on a public transport CofA and everything is TSO and FM immune. In fact the CofA was renewed today.

As far as maintanance is concerned could I get my current guys who are fantastic to do the work and have someone sign it off?

Does it require 2 altimeters for IFR on the N reg?

2Donkeys
14th Oct 2003, 22:55
This is a wind-up isn't it!!! You are not really proposing to beat your way around the airways in a 152?

Check out Schedules 4 and 5 of the ANO for details on required equipment under different circumstances.

2D

S-Works
14th Oct 2003, 23:28
No it is not a wind up and no I don't intend on beating up the airways in a 152! I normally fly a twin for big trips.

However there are a number of places that I seem to do on a regular basis that are class a including the channel islands that I would like to be able to fly IFR to. The airway down to the Jersey N866 is at 3500ft and being able to fly this as well as legal IFR into France and Belgium would be a significant advantage and there is nothing wrong with a 152 for this purpose.

I will take a look at the ANO schedules, thanks for the advice.

India Four Two
15th Oct 2003, 08:06
Bose-X

I was pretty sure that only one altimeter is required for IFR flights in the States (only one is required in the Great White North where I fly), but I thought I would check and confirm. Now I'm not sure.

Here's the reference Sec. 91.205 (d) (http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part91-205-FAR.shtml) .

(d) Instrument flight rules. For IFR flight, the following instruments and equipment are required:

(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section, and, for night flight, instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (c) of this section.

(2) Two-way radio communications system and navigational equipment appropriate to the ground facilities to be used.

(3) Gyroscopic rate-of-turn indicator, except on the following aircraft:

(i) Airplanes with a third attitude instrument system usable through flight attitudes of 360 degrees of pitch and roll and installed in accordance with the instrument requirements prescribed in §121.305(j) of this chapter; and

(ii) Rotorcraft with a third attitude instrument system usable through flight attitudes of ±80 degrees of pitch and ±120 degrees of roll and installed in accordance with §29.1303(g) of this chapter.

(4) Slip-skid indicator.

(5) Sensitive altimeter adjustable for barometric pressure.

(6) A clock displaying hours, minutes, and seconds with a sweep-second pointer or digital presentation.

(7) Generator or alternator of adequate capacity.

(8) Gyroscopic pitch and bank indicator (artificial horizon).

(9) Gyroscopic direction indicator (directional gyro or equivalent).

What is surprising about this is that the sensitive altimeter is an addition to the specified VFR instruments. When you look at the VFR requirements (paragraph b, not quoted above), an 'altimeter' is specified, so presumably one of the old single pointer barometer-type altimeters would do for VFR! However, the way the IFR requirements are written, it looks as though the 'sensitive altimeter' is in addition to the VFR 'altimeter'. So perhaps two altimeters are required? Can anyone tell me what the practice is?

In Canada, a sensitive altimeter is minimum equipment for VFR in controlled airspace, otherwise an 'altimeter' will do. The IFR requirements CARS 605.18 (http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv/carac/CARS/cars/605e.htm) seem to indicate that if you flew IFR only in uncontrolled airspace (and were foolish enough), you wouldn't even need a sensitive altimeter :uhoh:

I wish I hadn't started looking this up. Now I'm really confused!

2D,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the required equipment would be specified by the state of registry, not the country you intend to fly in. So what relevance would the ANOs have to Bose-X's question?

And there's nothing wrong with flying airways in a Cessna single - it's just VERY slow, as I well know;)

I42

[Edited for spelling and general HTML ineptitude]

englishal
15th Oct 2003, 10:13
1 altimeter is required, though it must be sensitive

EA:D

flyingfemme
15th Oct 2003, 15:43
2Donks has given you a pretty comprehensive summary of the requirements - with one exception....

Have the aircraft looked over (by somebody who knows) to check that it doesn't have any CAA mods that will render it unacceptable by the Feds. Also check that the engine builder/rebuilder is acceptable for the FAA register.

An unacceptable motor could ruin your day!:{

Southern Cross
15th Oct 2003, 16:22
Why would you go to the cost and effort of changing the registration on a 152 when you have a perfectly valid fresh Public transport UK C of A? Maybe because you have a FAA IR but otherwise I struggle to understand why you cannot fly IR in your G reg 152...:confused:

2Donkeys
15th Oct 2003, 16:24
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the required equipment would be specified by the state of registry, not the country you intend to fly in. So what relevance would the ANOs have to Bose-X's question?

OK :D

ICAO States are permitted to define the equipment levels required by *all* flights regardless of registry. Non-resident flights are required to apply the most stringent requirement between the two. Check out FAR 91.702 for a general statement to that effect.

US aircraft must, for example, carry an ADF in the UK if they wish to fly in an Airway under IFR.

2D

I struggle to understand why you cannot fly IR in your G reg 152

Presumably because Bose-x does not have a JAA IR. His IFR prowess in G-regs is therefore limited to "outside controlled airspace" on the strength of his FAA IR, or inside, if he bothered to get an IMC rating. Doing anything whilst abroad would be a problem. N-reg would give him full access to the international IFR system.

2D

S-Works
15th Oct 2003, 17:48
On the nose 2D! It is for me to gain access to the airways using an FAA IR. I had JAR before FAA and I fly Instrument on my IMC rating now but having to transition to SVFR to enter Jersey Zone for example is a pain in the bum. You end up slinking in low level when it would be safer and easier to just fly the instrument approach! It makes you realise why some people fly "illegally" at times.

N-reg gives me access to the international IFR system which is what I want and UK Class A.

As far as the engineering stuff is concerned it would appear that I should be OK. I have the one sensative altimeter. The rest is all FM Immune, ADF, 3 radios, DME, ILS etc etc etc.

The engine is a ex Lycoming direct factory engine so no problems on that front. I need to find an FAA engineer to get advice on the rest.