PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic crossing

Fly Stimulator
14th Oct 2003, 18:58
A friend of mine is in the process of flying his new SR22 back from Duluth to London - a fabulous trip by the sounds of it.

He is also posting some great photos and videos at each of the stops along the way here. (http://www.cirrus147.com/ferry_flight.htm)

I wish I could be there, but some of the videos, in particular the approach to Narsarsuaq, give a pretty good idea of it.

MikeSamuel
14th Oct 2003, 19:40
Wow that would be my dream flight in my dream aeroplane! How does one get into ferry flying? Would be my kinda job!!!

Fly Stimulator
14th Oct 2003, 19:48
Not sure how you get into being a ferry pilot.

Ian has one along, but luckily for him the aircraft range and load-carrying capacity is great enough to avoid the need to fill the interior with fuel tanks, so he was able to go along on the flight.

I'm assuming that there was enough spare weight for them not to have to share the same potty! :ooh:

Circuit Basher
14th Oct 2003, 19:58
Fly Stimulator - excellent site and great diary! I was asking the other week about sitting in on a ferry flight for the experience (after one of the guys there had a second hand 'Arrer ferried across a few weeks ago). Someone who'd actually done it was fairly blunt about the discomfort / boredom and physical 'waste disposal' aspects of the flight - some great moments interspersed by incredible acres of 'nothing happening'!

Plus, with all the survival suits and life rafts in the world - it anything breaks, you're dead for 99% of the journey!

[edited to overcome the fact that I failed my Mavis Beacon course!! ;)]

Aerobatic Flyer
14th Oct 2003, 19:58
Thanks for that. I haven't quite worked out how (or why...) yet, but one day I want to fly to Greenland. Hopefully on a day when the weather is like the Narsarsuaq approach video! :)

Aussie Andy
14th Oct 2003, 20:14
Amazing stuff FS :O

AC-DC
15th Oct 2003, 05:48
I have looked at the CHT/EGT photo that was taken at 13,000’. It is strange that CHT of cyl #2 is the highest while cyl #6 is the lowest. Another interesting point is that the trend of EGT and CHT of cyl # 1-3 is the same. By all means very impressive instrumentation.

Chuck Ellsworth
15th Oct 2003, 07:50
Great pictures, especially BGBW.

I did that trip in July in the other direction.

You can find a lot of pictures on my web site, go to links and click on the left hand picture of the PBY, there about are fifty pictures there if you clink the links.

www.chuckellsworth.com

Hey we had two engines and it was still not really comfortable flying that route.

Aussie Andy
15th Oct 2003, 14:16
Fabulous photos Seargent Ellsworth!

Andy

strafer
15th Oct 2003, 17:24
If I recall correctly, Clive Hughes said that 0.5% of SEP Atlantic crossings are never seen again. So with a fatality rate of 1 in 200, that makes it the barmiest aviation career since the Kamikazes.

Still love to do it once though.

Fly Stimulator
15th Oct 2003, 17:28
Ian added a whole lot of new pictures and narrative to the site last night.

They're trying the Iceland to Scotland leg again today after turning back yesterday in the face of 65kt headwinds.

I'll wait until they're back before passing on the stats about the fatality rate!

Aussie Andy
15th Oct 2003, 18:07
My favourite picture is this one of "Junior" in the TWR at Narsarsuaq:http://www.cirrus147.com/images/DSC00209.JPG Andy :cool:

Fly Stimulator
15th Oct 2003, 18:14
Yes, he looks a cheery sort!

Shame that that's probably a little far for us to go when we take the aircraft for a jaunt in a 10 days and 22 hours time. Not that I'm counting or anything! ;)

Fly Stimulator
15th Oct 2003, 20:59
Fortunately Ian & Torben have proved to be amongst the 99.5% of Atlantic flyers who are seen again...

Just landed in Stornaway, the tower had our web site up on arrival, thanks to Hamish in Scottish Control.

You are a star Hamish so great to chat on the radio!.

:ok:

PPRuNe Radar
15th Oct 2003, 21:11
Well done Hamish !!! You after some extra leave or something ?? ;) :E

strafer
15th Oct 2003, 21:31
Well done chaps (and nice piccies)

big.al
17th Oct 2003, 23:11
One word describes this - wow.

Wow - what piccies.
Wow - what a trip of a lifetime.
Wow - what an experience.
Wow - what fantastic views...

and above all...

Wow - what an aeroplane. It looks like a mini-airliner, with the glass displays. Not exactly mini-cost though, but a fabulous looking piece of kit....

Oh for the correct six Lotto numbers.....

Fly Stimulator
18th Oct 2003, 00:21
It is a lovely machine, and the trip was obviously a real adventure.

I went out to meet Ian and Torben (the ferry pilot) at Denham and they'd clearly had a wonderful time. My SR22 Centennial Edition experience now consists of being co-pilot for the 20-yard taxi from the fuel pumps to the parking stand, but it's a start! :D

Ian has a pile of DV tapes ready for editing - I'm sure the final product will end up on the web so I'll post the link here when it does.