PDA

View Full Version : Airbus A330/340 flare height?

measto
13th Oct 2001, 22:27
Hi! What height do you flare on the A330/340? I know the FCOM 3 says 30 feet, but a certain instructor at my company says 50 feet. I am just about to start off on the A330. All tips on landing most appreciated!

javelin
13th Oct 2001, 23:45
So long as you have some margin on VLS, 50' is fine, the thrust reduction is smooth and as you flare you touch down on speed without any float. If the speed is right on VLS then wait 'til 30'. Either way, if it hasn't touched within a couple of seconds, relax the flare and put it down, also the 330 needs to be flown onto the nosewheel, it is a long way up in the air at touchdown. As the spoilers and reversers deploy, there is a nose up tendency which needs to be guarded against.

Amateur Turbines
14th Oct 2001, 09:41
I've never flown the 330, but have been told that the trick is to fly the boogies down, then the nose wheel. The boogies are still 5-6 feet off the ground once the rears touch.

F/O Junior
15th Oct 2001, 03:45
I tend to start the flare at 40 feet.
The boogie is a bit tricky, but letting the stick go back to its neutral position after the aft main wheels touch down gives a reasonable derotation. Pulling the stick then slightly back for a second time helps to get the 2nd pair on ground, without raising the nose again, and finally you'll have to land the nosewheel aswell.
Conditions permitting I try not to open the reversers until all main wheel are on ground.
If you're coming from the A320 family, you'll have to get used to make a more positive input during the flare, or you'll hit the deck.
Also the fully configured attitude is a bit more nose up than its smaller counterparts, hence you tend down to lower the nose.