PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Aerodromes

RAIM
10th Oct 2003, 12:23
Hi,

Under IFR, can you treat an aerodrome that has a GPS NPA only without a TAF as a no aid aerodrome? That is, can you plan to go there by day without providing for an alternate if all met requirements are met (ie <SCT cloud below LSALT+500, 8kms vis etc)?

The Jepps/AIP indicate that you must provide for an alternate if the aerodrome has a prescribed instrument approach and a TAF is unavailable. Question refers to aeroplanes >5700 kg MTOW.

Thanks

RAIM

swh
10th Oct 2003, 20:31
Yes

You have VFR conditions.

SWH

hoss
11th Oct 2003, 16:08
I stand to be corrected, but here is another angle and I'm assuming you are rated and recent on the GPS/NPA.

Alternate Aerodrome requirements are made up of General, Weather Conditions, Radio Navigation Aids and Runway Lighting.

I agree with swh in that yes you are cool with regards to Radio Navigation Aids but look closer at General and Weather Conditions.

General- When an aerodrome forecast is not available or is "provisional", the pilot in command must make provision for a suitable alternate that has a firm forecast.

Weather Conditions- For IFR flights the alternate minima are as follows: b. For aerodromes with an instrument approach procedure where an aerodrome forecast is unavailable or is "provisional", the pilot in command must make provision for a suitable alternate.

If your not GPS/NPA approved then things become interesting, if you take the wording 'litterally' then you still need an alternate. I see your frustration and you could probably argue "even though the aerodrome has an instrument approach, I am not rated on it so cant I just assume this to be an aerodrome without an instrument approach" and then apply 'Jeppesen' AU-304 3.2.11 c. Although you still have to get around that requirement that I mentioned above in 'General-Alternate Aerodrome requirements'.

Food for thought, hoss:)