PDA

View Full Version : Help WW2 Question

bayete
10th Oct 2003, 04:11
My aunt is converting my grandfather's WW2 notes as a Wellington pilot into a book and is unsure as to a reference to "summer field landing strips" and the correct spelling with appropriate caps etc.
Can anyone shed any light on what he would have been talking about. I think something to do with a cover for wet grass airfields.
PS Thanks to all the guys that found the grid in Devon last summer for his funeral; 2x Tonks, a top LL gear flap lights etc C130 from 47? and Tutor (UWAS). Many tears from friends and relatives. Thanks.
Bayete

BEagle
10th Oct 2003, 04:32
The stuff was actually called 'Sommerfeld tracking' and was a wire mesh held down by rods which gave a non-skid surface and made the runway well camouflaged.

And before anyone suggests it, no I haven't ever used it!

Art Field
10th Oct 2003, 21:19
But I have, I think at Strubby (Just inland from Mablethorpe for you younger people). Not as a runway but as a dispersal.

bayete
11th Oct 2003, 01:54
Thanks,
Will pass it on to my aunt.
Bayete

Zoom
11th Oct 2003, 06:20
Ah, Strubby. And Manby. And The Splash. Good days. Sorry, just reminiscing.

Bayete, what will the book be called? There is a brilliant publisher/repository just down the road from here which will stock it within moments of its publication, so I will certainly have a browse. Good luck to your aunt and her project.

Art Field
12th Oct 2003, 01:19
Thought the mention of Strubby might rattle a cage. Just imagine an RAF station, senior officer and PMC a Flt Lt, number one Huckleberry Hound fan club, night flying suppers served by lady Redcoats from Butlins at Skeggie, bar shut rarely before 1 am, station aerobatic team of four Meteors, great fun.

bayete
12th Oct 2003, 02:10
Beags,
Yabonga gakulu.
If you speak Zulu I must change my "nom de gere".
Ndidza gahle.
Sorry about the spelling, "spoke it not wrote it".
Bayete

Zoom,
I will let my aunt know.
My G'pa was never a great talker, but here is a preview of what is in the book:

Wellington on fire, crew bail out over N Africa somewhere. Gunner too injured to bail, so G'pa, with gunner, lands bomber on blacked out German airfield which he had been bombing, his burning Wellington is the only light on the airfield so it becomes a guiding light for the rest of the raid. Takes gunner to a shelter and leaves him for the Germans to care for (still alive today and has written book about his time in war) then walks straight past the German guards that stop him, saying in German " Its only the Signallers". 3 days in desert on 1 bar of chocolate before finding friendly convoy, home for tea, doesn't like medals, flying next day etc.

I have a wonderful momento, his silk hanky with maps of the local area for escape.
Does anyone have other untold stories of war exploits?
Bayete

BEagle
12th Oct 2003, 03:09
Thought it was Zulu! Sorry - neither speak nor write it, I'm afraid...

The book sounds as thought it's going to be fascinating. Have you tried the history and nostalgia forum? You might strike more 'goldi' there!