PDA

View Full Version : Medical Hypothetical

CBLong
10th Oct 2003, 00:34
I'm sure I could look this up somewhere, so apologies for being lazy...

Say a UK JAR PPL (not me, honest guv) had allowed their medical to lapse, but had recently been to the AME and been given the all-clear, but had not yet received the certificate - would that person (not me, honest guv) be legal to fly?

Cheers for any pointers,

cbl.

Say again s l o w l y
10th Oct 2003, 00:55
I don't understand why they wouldn't have a certificate. If it was a from CAA headquaters for an inital class 1 maybe.

Unlike the rest of the planet, the CAA require you to have all bits of paper before you re 'legal.' So I doubt not having a medical would be acceptable depite what the Doc says.

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Oct 2003, 01:23
Yup, that is correct.

Why were you not given your medical certificate at the end of the medical?

If you have any queries your best port of call would be the AME and or the CAA.

FD

Whipping Boy's SATCO
10th Oct 2003, 01:40
Plucked from LASORS that cross reference with JAR-FCL 3 (Medical).

In order to apply for or to exercise the privileges of
a licence, the applicant or the holder shall hold a
medical certificate issued in accordance with the
provisions of JAR–FCL 3 (Medical), appropriate to
the privileges of the licence certificate and shall be
mentally and physically fit to exercise safely the
privileges of the applicable licence.

Warped Factor
10th Oct 2003, 03:26
My medical hadn't lapsed, but was temporarily suspended.

When the new one was issued I was told on the phone by the CAA Doc at Gatwick, or rather by his secretary, that I was okay to fly whilst it was on its way to me (but not yet in my posession) as it had been stamped and signed by said Doc and that was what mattered.

Couldn't tell you if that advice was correct though.

WF.

CBLong
10th Oct 2003, 18:16
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I've been to the AME in question three times (initial medical in 1997 plus two renewals) and his procedure, for whatever reason, is to send the signed and completed medical form off to a colleague who then prints out and signs the medical certificate itself. I've no idea why this is; I had assumed it was the normal way it was done. Strange.

Anyway, not planning to fly for a few more days yet so I should be safely in possession of all the paperwork next time I slip the surly bonds...

:)

cbl.

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Oct 2003, 18:44
Hmm,

That seems an interesting method of doing it.

So is the signature and the namre of the doctor that signs the medical the same as the one doing the medical?

FD

down&out
10th Oct 2003, 20:31
Agree, that is certainly a strange process.

Over the years I've had medicals with 3 different AMEs plus the CAA setup at LHR and always walked out with the certificate completed and signed by the doctor on the spot.

aiglon
11th Oct 2003, 00:28
That seems an interesting method of doing it.

Would make sense if the doc doing the examination wasn't actually an AME but the one signing the certificate was. Nah, that can't be it, that would surely be illegal.

Aiglon