PDA

View Full Version : Concorde questions

newswatcher
7th Oct 2003, 19:32
The Concorde is in commercial service until 24th October. BA has made a business decision to stop flying, after this date, although I believe they might "bring her out" on the anniversary of the Wright Brothers First Flight".

So when does it become impossible for Concorde to carry passengers any more? Does this depend on the currency of an Airworthiness Certficate? What event/condition would cause the CAA to withdraw this? What is there to stop a group of enthusiasts chartering Concorde after the 24th October?

Just wondering! :confused:

exeng
9th Oct 2003, 04:27
<<What is there to stop a group of enthusiasts chartering Concorde after the 24th October?>>

As you yourself stated: <<The Concorde is in commercial service until 24th October>> As a charter is a commercial service it quite simply will not be possible.

Regards
Exeng

newswatcher
9th Oct 2003, 15:48
Exeng, thanks for being the only one to reply, but I am not sure that you have answered my main question. Still :confused:

Are you confirming that BA could continue flying after this date, if they wanted to? I expect the "last minute demand" could have extended flying for several more flights!

So I repeat, at what point will Concorde no longer be permitted to carry paying passengers? Will all aircraft be "terminated" at the same time, or is the decision made on an aircraft by aircraft basis? What is the process by which the CAA will withdraw the "certificate"? Is it like an MOT, and will lapse when BA choose not to enter the aircraft for an inspection?

exeng
9th Oct 2003, 16:18
I'm not involved with the operation of this aircraft in any way and so do not speak with any authority; the information I hear is from friends who do operate it.

BA had to chose a date so that was it. Many factors would have entered into that decision and I'm sure it was not made lightly.

My guess is that the CAA would have been notified that the type will be withdrawn from commercial service from that date. So the CAA will not support it either.

In that case no further commercial flights (charter or otherwise) would be legal.

Any decision can be reversed however. Money talks, and in this scenario I believe you would be talking of very lengthy telephone numbers. It is unlikely in the extreme.

The best hope is that Branson would be given the go ahead. Extremely unlikely again for the reasons discussed at length here on pprune.

We will all be sorry to see it go, except perhaps some residents of Hounslow.

Regards
Exeng

slingsby
9th Oct 2003, 16:37
Once a decision is taken to withdraw a particular aircraft from commercial service, generally the ''Certificate of Airworthiness'' is also withdrawn by the CAA. This would preclude any of the withdrawn aircraft from flying again. The only way to recover or keep the CofA would be continual maintainence to standards set by the CAA, this alone would be cost inhibitive for just one or two flights a year. So when the final flight lands at LHR, thats it. Maybe they will shift a few around the country to various museums, but I think you won't be seeing or 'hearing' her again.

ETOPS
9th Oct 2003, 16:49
The main reason why revenue flights after Oct 24 th will not happen is that the aircraft is being removed from the BA AOC. This is the Air Operators Certificate which is the CAA document that approves flying for "Hire & reward" by an airline using a specific type of aircraft.

The CofA is a seperate issue and most probably will remain in force to allow delivery flights to storage/museums etc. As no passengers will be carried these are private flights and could be conducted under "B" conditions. That is an individual certificate of release for one flight.

When Airbus/EADS cancel the aircrafts type approval at the end of the year all
Cs of A would be invalid anyway........

newswatcher
9th Oct 2003, 17:03
Thanks for your replies guys, particularly the info on AOC.

I was wondering whether it was worth going to the trouble of finding 99 like-minded souls, and trying to get a charter out of BA. Guess I will never know! :sad: :sad:

PAXboy
9th Oct 2003, 21:36
Newswatcher: Yes, it would have been and, up until the announcement in April, you could have done so.

Them maintenance was limited to essential and the run-down of service started. With ops being reduced, no new charters were (I think) allowed. As I have had to say before in the past months. It's over.

paulo
10th Oct 2003, 05:32
PAX... yes, it is over, but maybe not the time to piss on the nation's chips. Not just yet. :(