PDA

View Full Version : Gusty Winds

mcrit
13th Dec 2000, 21:13
How do gusts effect the situation regarding max X-wind for landing and takeoff.? For example if your max book x-wind was 30 kts and the reported actual wind was all across at 25 gusting 35 could one land.??

HPSOV
14th Dec 2000, 08:46
Extract from 767-300 Limitations.
"The maximum demonstrated crosswind component for takeoff and landing is 33kts tower reported wind on a dry runway. Gusts up to 5kts higher can be accepted"
So 33kts gusting 38kts would be acceptable.

Ignition Override
16th Dec 2000, 06:15
How much bank angle on your plane for an engine or wingtip "scrape" ?

411A
16th Dec 2000, 07:27
On the TriStar.....a LOT!

SentryIP
16th Dec 2000, 08:31
mcrit,

On the B-707 and it's military variants, the inboard pod will scrape when the bank is greater than 8 degrees. The B-707 types with the CFM-56 engines tolerate less. As far as the gust on landings and takeoff, the gust is included in the limiting crosswind limit. If the maximum crosswind limit is 25 knots and the wind is 25 knots gusting to 26 knots, it's considered out of limits. Hope this helps. Take care.

Sincerely,
Amin Aur

------------------
SentryIP
FIRST, FLY THE AIRPLANE!

CaptSensible
17th Dec 2000, 01:19
In truth this question may depend on your own company policies, or SOP's.
In the good old days my lot clearly stated it was SOP that the gust value was used to calculate crosswind component, and the situation described by SentryIP would apply.
Lately however we've had new types enter service with specific 'mean' and 'gust' limits on crosswind, and both have to be within limits now! The diff is about five knots extra for the gust.

I recently queried one of our fleet captains on this and he advised that the old policy of using the gust as the sole value for calculating crosswind (on types with no 'gust' limit stated) is now discontinued. Therefore he suggests that only the mean wind is considered in this scenario.
He did add that it's up to the skipper...etc.
So you could interpret what he was saying to mean that "25 gusting 80" is within limits...but on your own head be the consequences of attempting it (and I 'spose your pax too, eh). I'll bet he'd deny everything if we had a whoopsie!
Err on the safe side I always say.

I've no idea if JAR OPs has modified the principles here. Any offers?

[This message has been edited by CaptSensible (edited 16 December 2000).]

alosaurus
18th Dec 2000, 00:44
In our company the gusts are taken fully into account (on all fleets) if the gust was within the last 10 mins (ATC can provide this info).