PDA

View Full Version : Do we need armed sky marshalls

Muppet Leader
2nd Oct 2003, 21:15
Subject header says it all.

Heard a roumor last week at DFW.

Do we need ARMED sky marshalls on all flights, some selected international routes, or simply not at all.

Thoughts ?

Hilico
3rd Oct 2003, 02:03
Apparently we do. I was in the sausage roll office this afternoon (software's going through a recession, OK?) and on the back cover of I think it was Recruit for September, there was an advert for Sky Marshalls. Salary 20-48k dep on experience, pay for your own security clearance, on-call 24 hours a day, limited/no contact with family while working, prepared to visit locations that are economically / politically unstable, no phone number, write with CV to an address in...Lancashire.

Hey Muppet, come to think of it you're from up North aren't you?

In slightly more serious (though no more truthful) answer to your question, I think that any hijacker who tried to start anything these days would be torn to pieces before the Sky Marshall got anywhere near him/her.

chiglet
3rd Oct 2003, 02:09
with that sort of "C.V.", it's a "Naughtymans" dream
:rolleyes: Come oonnnn, let's get REAL
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Hilico
3rd Oct 2003, 02:15
Er, I think they do the security clearance, but you pay for it.

You know, I think I'll ask my ex-Army mate for a few tips and then go and get tooled up.

GrantT
3rd Oct 2003, 02:56
"Salary 20-48k"

Not bad money for just sitting on a plane. :p

J-Heller
3rd Oct 2003, 04:28
Well its definitely happening.

Within the last few weeks I bumped into an old friend (in the pub, of course) who is just leaving the Paras after 6 years service.

When asked what he was going to do in civvy street, he said he was thinking of the police but told me of the marshal job.

He let on he was somewhere in the recruitment process. I was quite taken aback because I hadn't realised it was going on in the UK; I had thought he was talking about working in the States. He confirmed it was for UK-based work. When asked who the contracting airlines are he suddenly grew all hush-hush, and wouldn't say another thing about it.

He was pretty hammered, and is not the brightest light in the harbour (even on a good day) so all in all I got the message he had said a bit much to have piqued such interest.

Make of that what you will.

Hilico
3rd Oct 2003, 04:39
GrantT, 20-48k just for sitting on a plane? Lots of BA captains get loads more than that for doing exactly the same thing.

I was also talking to a copper mate earlier today, and he said there is an increasing number of bomb-sniffer dog handler places being advertised. The people in charge of UK plc may not be making a big noise about it in the Press, but they're expecting something.

GrantT
3rd Oct 2003, 05:38
"Lots of BA captains get loads more than that for doing exactly the same thing."

BA Captains are actually doing something! All Sky Marshall's have to do is sit back, enjoy the in-flight service and occasionally shoot up some terrorists, what a job! :)

Hilico
3rd Oct 2003, 05:46
Well, opinion varies about the BA Captains. But the Marshalls can't just sit there. They've got to stay alert, or mistakes get made. "Ha, gotcha you b@sta@rd! Ooops, sorry Mr Bannister, I'll get some forceps."

Golf Charlie Charlie
3rd Oct 2003, 06:39
<<<
Salary 20-48k dep on experience
>>>

Is it me, or is that a very wide salary range for this job ? Meaning, that I assume we're entitled to expect pretty similar experience levels for this unique position - there can't or shouldn't be room for divergent capabilities or experience in a job like this.

Or does the 20k marshal get the Birmingham-Jersey Dash 8, and the 48K marshal get the Heathrow-JFK 777 ??

J-Heller
3rd Oct 2003, 07:09
Apart from background and experience, I would think the salary spread is to cater for those in leadership and training roles.

Sheep Guts
3rd Oct 2003, 08:05
I think we are now stuck with Air Marshalls. I myself would like some back up after I Crash Tackle and kick to death an Al Queada assailaint....:E

RUDAS
3rd Oct 2003, 15:28
whaddaya need backup for? disposal of the corpse?

Golf Charlie Charlie
4th Oct 2003, 11:01
I accept the fact that there will be some marshals whio will, of necessity, be more experienced than others, and that some of the older ones, at least, will be training the newer ones. But in essence, the actual job of being an air marshal is hard to vary. It is what it is - to protect the passengers and the aircraft from the bad guys. The idea of one marshal getting paid 20k versus another marshal getting paid 48k implies a pretty major difference in the skills and experience of the individuals cincerned - which is not what we are being sold. We are, supposedly, being sold a service which is uniformly protective, but the salary range (20 versus 48) implies a major variation in the skills, experience and possible effectiveness of the individuals.

ronnie123
4th Oct 2003, 15:03
I always thought a this was job for highly trained SAS(UK) or DELTA FORCE (USA). I know Saudi Arabian has uniformed soilders as sky marshals, they fly biz class eat and kick back.

Had no clue one could have CV for a job like this, may be if you are a Gun for hire aka SKY MARSHAL??