PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training near Bristol

Send Clowns
2nd Oct 2003, 19:19
Does anyone know about PPL flight training in the Bristol area?

The reason I ask is two-fold. I am looking for work and am sometimes in that area (I have an FI(R) rating) and have met someone who has recently moved to Bristol and was looking to complete a PPL. She is sometimes in the Bournemouth area where I know the schools, but would I think prefer to fly near home.

sickBocks
2nd Oct 2003, 22:24
Use www.flyer.co.uk/directory/index.php for a list of the clubs.

Try 'Bristol' and 'Somerset' because BRS is actually in Somerset.

I believe the only PPL school left at BRS is Bristol and Wessex. Aeros have a base at Filton. Though if you don't mind the trek, Kemble is 40mins from Bristol City. Kemble schools can be found under 'Gloucestershire'. Hope this is of some use.

sB

Send Clowns
3rd Oct 2003, 01:37
Thanks for that. I didn't know where there was a coherent, useable list.

Snigs
4th Oct 2003, 19:20
Clowns,

If she's based north of Bristol, then Glos may be an option as it'll be just as easy to get there as trekking across Bristol. It's got 3 runways for training, in fact it's a great GA airfield. I teach from there so drop me a PM if you need more info.

Whispering Giant
8th Oct 2003, 05:58
As a former resident of these part's - now living in Devon, Send clowns another place you could also try is the Bristol Aero club also at Filton - great flying club atmosphere. The CFI there is John Griffen who is also the CFI of Brize Norton flying club.
You could also try Bristol Flying Center at Lulsgate - allthough more orientated to commercial and instrument training - they are a very proffesional outfit with high standards.

hope this is of use.

brgds
W.G

Send Clowns
11th Oct 2003, 02:40
Thanks. May be in touch soon, Sniggs, and with Mr Griffen WG.

John Pearce
13th Oct 2003, 15:47
Hi Clowns.

I live in the Bristol Area, and I'd probably suggest Gloucester for training, I did my CPL and FI courses there. I'm about to return for my IR in the next week. (apologies to my bank manager in advance)

3 Runways, very GA friendly. No orbits for 737's and the like! I get that where I teach, but all of my students fly near perfect turns. (plenty of practice!!)

Filton is another option. John Griffen, and Aeros have a base there, but ultimately it's going to be her choice as to who she feels happier going to for flight training.

Regards
JP

VFR800
21st Oct 2003, 20:45
Hi,

As a soon to be PPL, I did the bulk of my training @ Bristol and Wessex and have to say, although it was a great club, good social atmosphere etc, I can't really recommend it as no ground school and the a/c were the usual collection of knackered old dogs!

I now fly at Kemble, where there are 2 clubs, BCT and Aero School Kemble, both are as good as it gets, if you get my drift! :)

2 stripes
26th Oct 2003, 23:28
I instruct part time for the Bristol Aero Club and if I can help please PM me.

BEagle
27th Oct 2003, 00:56
Whispering Giant, actually JG isn't the CFI at the Brize Flying Club.

But if anyone is interested in part-time instruction at Brize, pm me and I'll give you some steers.

Send Clowns
27th Oct 2003, 01:37
Thanks all. Just sorting things out for myself - have suddently hit on a few more hours down here, but might still need to look up there.