PDA

View Full Version : Near Miss.!

TopgunSRL
5th Jun 2001, 12:43
Open Q.To The Forum....

Saw a programme the other nite, titled; 'Near Miss', on National Geo.

It was covering the ATC System in Kennedy, Newark & Le Guardia Airports in New York City.

To a 'Non-Aviator', I must say that the ATC System looks pretty 'messed up to me'.

Q:Is it the same in any European Airports?
Q:In NY, it looks like it's just a matter of time, before another 'Brooklyn 1960' event takes place? I must say, I'm not looking forward to my next approach / takeoff at Kennedy.!

Would welcome any views on the above Q's & on this topic in general.

Streamline
5th Jun 2001, 12:49
Only a disaster will change the system.

Nobody listens to pilots anyway.

Hope this helps

------------------
Smooth Trimmer

PAXboy
5th Jun 2001, 13:01
This sounds like the programme that was shown on British TV two or so years ago - I cannot recall which channel.

As is so often the case, we saw dedicated people working extremely hard under terrible conditions.

End result? Safe passage for us. I went through JFK and LGA last month and I certainly thought about this documentary. But, as with all other aspects of saftey, those holding the purse strings (government or commercial) only listen to dead bodies, not live ones giving warnings.

A few that I remember:
Kings Cross Tube fire.
Herald of Free Enterprise ferry.
Several football stadia due to fire or crushing.
Heysal(sp?) stadium.

If something happens in the NYC area, you can be sure that the folks in the towers are going to catch some of the blame.

Dublinflyer
5th Jun 2001, 13:26
It's on NGC again this Thursday at 23.00Hrs
Well worth a look if you have not seen it before. If you think your job puts you under a lot of stess this will open your eyes.

ExSimGuy
5th Jun 2001, 19:27
If the skies above JFK are as congested as the immigration hall, I take my hat off to the ATCOs.

I try to avoid the place :)

Delta Wun-Wun
5th Jun 2001, 20:41
The ATCO`s seemed to be working under immence pressure with a less than perfect system.And I thought learning to fly was hard!!Hats off to you Ladies and Gents.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!