PDA

View Full Version : Flight Plan Altitudes

FAL205
3rd Oct 2001, 02:11
To begin with, I am interested in flight, but currently at that SIM level only. Eventually, I'd like to get my PPL.

I am familiar with the SWEVEN NEODD (up to FL290) rules for altitudes, but what happens if your flight plan first takes to SE, then SW to your destination... CYYZ - KMCO for instance.

Regards,

Pub User
3rd Oct 2001, 03:32
You climb to a different level.

FAL205
3rd Oct 2001, 03:58
What initial cruise altitude do you file for - the SWEVEN or the NEDODD?

Jetdriver
3rd Oct 2001, 04:23
Depends which way you are initially going.

Manflex55
3rd Oct 2001, 12:33
Well on the flight plan U should only enter the INITIAL requested altitude. If U want more than one FL along your route, it is best to make a subsequent request direct to ATC.

I haven't flown CYYZ-KMCO but I have flown CYYZ-KMIA & CYYZ-MYNN a number of times. U can actually put whatever FL U want in the flight plan (usually the one with the best forecast winds) caus' U'll probably get something different from ATC. Take-off from CYYZ, climb out & after a while U will B cleared, often DCT to destination, or if U're slightly less lucky to an enroute VOR. An intermediate clearance will occur if some SUA (eg Canaveral) is active @ the time. Otherwise I've been cruising DCT KMIA @ anything between FL350 & FL430.

MF

[ 03 October 2001: Message edited by: Manflex55 ]

Bally Heck
4th Oct 2001, 14:36
You "should" file for the level change in your initial flight plan. I think it goes something like NEDOS N450F390 or it may be F390N450. Any whichever, it indicates a change to FL390 and a TAS of 450kt at NEDOS. You will not normally be allowed to fly the wrong level on bi-directional airways. (noise abatement!)

reimers
5th Oct 2001, 01:59
Usually, an airway that takes you whiggling along the axis of the semicircular rule has a defined odd direction which remains valid even if a segment of said airway is a bit off. This prevents ATC having to issue new levels to everyone. Only if the airway ends or you join another airway an even/odd level change may be required. Today most of the time airliners fly direct routings that take them off the traditional airway system so ATC will tell you when they want an level change.

GlueBall
7th Oct 2001, 00:18
Additionally, there are exeptions to the rule. For example, in a narrow country oriented North and South, such as Chile, different cardinal altitudes apply.

030 to 209 is Odd. And 210 to 029 is Even. (VFR add 500 feet). :cool: