PDA

View Full Version : Examiner questions

DB6
29th Sep 2003, 03:40
I've just been looking through the latest issues of the various forms pertaining to flights tests etc. on the CAA's website and have a few questions.
1) Form SRG/1157 - where the @$*& did 'Approach to stall, climbing turn with take-off flap and climb power' come from? It wasn't even in the JAR syllabus last time I looked! Am I missing something?
2) Has there been any examiner's guidance about NPPL issues? I've looked at the NPPL website but there's nothing about what to do in the case of test failures (does one issue a form SRG/1159?) and I've received nothing through the post from the CAA or NPPL authorities. Have others?
3) Do the CAA want to see any paperwork about NPPLs or does it all go to the NPLG?
4) Does the JAA Flight Examiner's Manual
here (http://www.jaa.nl/licensing/flight_examiners_manual.html) have any bearing on UK licence issue?

As I've not long moved some of this stuff may have gone adrift in the mail so just checking before consulting Gatwick etc.

BEagle
29th Sep 2003, 16:13
All NPPL details are in the NPPL 'Syllabus Downloads' section of www.nppl.uk.com . Regarding re-validation and renewal forms, the CAA have had a draft form for over 3 months now and we're still waiting for their reply.....but then again, they cocked up the validity requirements in the ANO and the BMAA still won't agree to re-align their microlight alidity periods to the proposed NPPL ones - so the CAA also have all that to sort out. "Changing things to make the paperwork simpler" is not something the BMAA appear to believe in......

You don't need any 'conventional' SRG forms for NPPL administration, nor do you need to send anything to the CAA. You write 'FAIL' in the appropriate 'Result' section of the NST or GST form if the applicant fails. Simple really.

..and that incipient stall in a climbing turn is purely optional for the JAR-FCL LST/LPC.

The UK CAA produces its own, very good Flight Examiners Handbook.

DB6
30th Sep 2003, 01:49
Thanks BEagle, once again I am in your debt :D . It appears I have been getting it right so far then. I have the downoad from the NPPL website and have been using the forms therein so far. Just in case I was missing something though....
So if the applicant fails, say, two NSTs before he finally bags it, do all 3 forms ( two fails and one pass) go to the NPLG or do they just want the pass for licence issue? And do the number of series and attempts referred to on the NPPL forms align with JAR or as it seems, is there just one series and any number of attempts within it?
Realise the stall is optional as per note 2, just never seen it referred to before.
Got the CAA handbook - as you say very good, could use some stuff about the IMC rating though as it's a CAA handbook and not JAA - just didn't know if creeping EU-ness (spit, curse) was about to overcome us when I saw the JAA one on the website :yuk: .

Stan Evil
30th Sep 2003, 04:21
The FE Handbook is just a precis of what's in other books. For more info on the IMC Rating look in Stds Doc 25 or in LASORS (both on the web).

BEagle
2nd Oct 2003, 00:13
The only thing NPLG need is the actual pass certificates, as far as I'm aware. The attempts and series do not necessarily align with JAR-FCL; I will check on the structure of the forms when I get a chance.

Could anyone really fail such a simple NST more than once though?