PDA

View Full Version : Turbofan Engines

bornflyer
23rd Sep 2003, 19:12
If any one could help me, Why N1 exceeds 100% RPM with full throttles. If they are rated at more than 100% than why is it so???

Thanx:ok:

lomapaseo
24th Sep 2003, 00:04
Design the mechanical parts of an engine , put it together and test it on a test stand measuring the thrust vs RPM on a nice cool temp day, all the time monitoring turbine temps and pressure to ensure that it will run for at least a reasonable overhaul cycle.

Now tweak the control so that it just makes an advertised thrust rating on a hot day and call whatever rpm it takes 100 %

After that your thrust/RPM may vary (your fuel consumption certainly will:O )

bornflyer
24th Sep 2003, 15:23
Thanx mate,,,, i guess i ve got the idea........

Thanx

ft
25th Sep 2003, 22:25
The RPM corresponding to 100% is rather arbitrarily chosen. At one point in the design process, for one particular model/generation of that engine it probably was the maximum RPM to run the engine at during normal operations and thus, they labelled it 100% RPM.

Then, things changed. The engine got better turbine cooling, things were tested and found to be able to take more than the initial calculations showed or whatever. Thus, the maximum usable RPM increased. Now, the maximum RPM is higher than what you decided to call 100% earlier on.

Easiest way out is allowing >100% RPM. Think of it as "104% of a given reference RPM" rather than "104% of what this particular engine is capable of".

Could just as well be a simple number, but 26,470 RPM is a bit harder to remember and verify than 104%.

Cheers,
Fred