PDA

View Full Version : Progression?

Spinningtop
22nd Sep 2003, 03:21
How do you progress from a ATSA postion to an ATCO?

What is involved (e.g exams, medical,experience etc)?

I've looked at many post on here and wondered what was involved, no post seems to make it clear, is there a website with the licensing requirements on etc?

Thanks in advance.

5milesbaby
22nd Sep 2003, 03:52
In the UK to become an ATCO be it from an ATSA position or from the outside world you all have to apply the same way - there is no preference or need to be an ATSA first.

The 'sticky' post at the top of the forum has all the gen on whats involved and also links to VectorLine's website which has lots of info for applicants and new recruits too. If its not, I'm sure he, or one of his alter ego's will post it here soon....

Edited as I now know the link to VectorLine's Website (http://freespace.virgin.net/at.co/home.htm) so click on his name to enter!!!!!

Spinningtop
23rd Sep 2003, 04:17
Thanks for the link 5milesbaby.

I'm still not clear on one thing, if you start off as an ATSA for a non-NATs airport is it possible to do the sudy to become an ATCO without applying to NATs in the way people wishing to work for them do (i.e selection process etc).
If so how is the study completed (i.e self study (distance learning-like some pilots licences)?

Thanks

Chilli Monster
23rd Sep 2003, 05:17
Spinningtop

Up until the end of 1994 you could do exactly what you suggest. Get the books, self study, buy some simulator time. Then when you were ready enrol for the exams (4 or 5 times a year I believe) and if you passed throw yourself at the job market with your newly gained licence and ratings.

But not anymore. Since the introduction of 'RGAT' in 94/95 the only way to achieve the qualifications is by attending a recognised course - they're not cheap and a huge gamble. Success is not guaranteed. There are 3 - Aerodrome, Approach and Approach Radar. Prices are approx £15K, £11K and £15K respectively.

If you're hoping to become an ATCO via the non-NATS ATSA route then your real hope has to be that the airport recruits and produces ATCO's from within. If they pay for your qualifications then sure, you'll be bonded for the cost of the courses for a period of time, but that works both ways - you have the job that you want, possibly where you want.

Bear in mind though that Airports are run by the beancounters too. The most sought after places will always be able to recruit already qualified controllers from other units which pleases the accountants - it means no risking money on people who may fail the course (and that does happen - regularly).

Good luck with your ambition.

5milesbaby
23rd Sep 2003, 05:18
I think what you are asking has this answer:-

Serco run another ATC college, it used to be Bailbrook in Bath, but now think it has moved. It is for all other organisations that do not use NATS to train up their controllers. Basically apply for an ATCO job be it for NATS or not, if its NATS go to Bournemouth for 18 months, if its not then go to Serco and do the courses you require. Some non-NATS units pay for some courses, some then expect you to reimburse either part or full costs over a time period of being paid by that unit (ie. you commit to them for a number of years). Alternatively you can pay for yourself to attend the courses, the last time I heard it was in the region of £25,000 per course at NATS Bournemouth.

This is from what I remember and is in no way official, no doubt someone on here will correct me if I'm totally off the ball :ok:

Chilli Monster
23rd Sep 2003, 05:26
5 miles

SERCO haven't had a college since Bailbrook closed in July 2001. They contract out their training too.

The 2 non-NATS colleges are Shearwater which is outside Cwmbran and ASTAC (http://www.astac.org.uk) just outside Bath at Rudloe Manor

Spinningtop
23rd Sep 2003, 21:21
thanks for the replies that as cleared it up for me.

My local airport was advertising for a ATSA last year, I know that an ATSA is a good postion within the 'machine' but I wondered what was involved to become a ATCO.

Thanks again