PDA

View Full Version : Help Required

Phoenix09
21st Sep 2003, 21:36
I would very much like to become a flying instructor. I currently hold a PPL/IMC.

I am receiving conflicting information on which is the best route to go down. I have no wish to become a commercial pilot I just want to teach flying instruction. I am currently looking to start a course of study for my ground exams... which is where the problem lies! Some are recommending that I take the CPL exams and some recommend the ATPL exams. To me it seems a waste of time and money to go down the ATPL route when I have no interest other than to become a flying instructor.

I have recently been told that there is a possibility of the BCPL being reintroduced for people who just wish to become instructors. Is this correct?

Any advice/information greatfully received!!

Unscheduled stopover
22nd Sep 2003, 00:59
Phoenix09

If you are going to go to the trouble of doing the cpl exams you really would be as well sitting the atpl's. There is about 20-30% extra work involved but you then won't need to do any more exams if at a later date you decide that instructing is'nt for you.

Instructing is a good job but the remuneration package aint all that great and until all the hours builders and part time instructors get out the way the situation won't improve.

To be a career instructor you will have to be very determined and focused to get through all the training and then be able to live on a minimal salary. That is assuming you manage to get a job.

Good luck

By the way, at the moment Tayside aviation in Dundee are looking for instructors.

ecj
22nd Sep 2003, 01:27
I agree with Unscheduled stopover. Get the pain over and done with, even with the additional topics involved.

I did the CPL first, and the ATPL some 3 years later. I wish in both time and effort, not to mention two exam fees, I had gone for the ATPL straight off. Having said that, when I took them going straight for the ATPL was not possible for very low hour people.

At least that particular rule was changed for the better.

You never know what is around the corner, and not having a fATPL might inhibit you from that unknown [as yet] dream job.

Forget the BCPL route.

Are you employed on an airfield, or by a local authority ??

Phoenix09
22nd Sep 2003, 15:53
Thanks for the replies.

I actually work for the local authority and retire within the next couple of years with a quite healthy pension so the limited renumeration is not a problem. :O

Learning to fly was the fulfillment of a lifelong ambition for me and it would be nice to be able to help others to achieve the same goal.

It would seem that the ATPL route is certainly looking favourite.

Keygrip
23rd Sep 2003, 01:52
Whooaa - Phoenix....

Do the course that is suitable for what YOU want.

If you're at retirement stage from ANY job it would at least suggest that there is an age question here - and that the scenario you put forward of not wanting to fly airliners is probably correct - in which case an ATPL level groundschool knowledge level may be an uneccessary pain (and expense).

As you probably know - there are 14 exams for ATPL (including Worldwide Climatology) - and you would need passes in those to command a heavy transport jet.

The CPL (only) has 7 (slightly simpler) exams - and is what you NEED to teach at a flying school.

Although they are both about the same price - the CPL is much easier to learn.

Having said that - are you considering going on to get (even POSSIBLY considering going on to get) an instrument rating??

Tell us what you REALLY WANT - then we can help.

Phoenix09
23rd Sep 2003, 04:54
Hmmmm... I'm giving this an awful lot of extra thought now.

I am currently 43 so any chance of a further career in aviation, outside of instructing, is I would have thought, pretty much out of reach. However instructing is what I really want to do...

The chances of me going on to get an IR are pretty non existent I would have thought and whilst the added flexibility that the ATPL's might give me would be nice I think that the reality would be that I would never gain the full benefit of the qualification... :(

Besides which...
the CPL is much easier to learn.
sounds very attractive to me!! :D

All advice gratefully received!