PDA

View Full Version : Question for B747-400 drivers

Continuous Ignition
2nd Feb 2000, 01:24
Here's a question for you B747-400 drivers out there. What is the ferry range of the -400 series aircraft? No pax, just fuel and crew... I know there are several engine types avalible and would make a difference in over all endurance. So if you could, just list what types are on your companys machines and what the range would be...

Thanks!

------------------
Don't like it? Don't look at it!

gas path
2nd Feb 2000, 02:09
I seem to remember QF did a delivery flt from LHR... or was it FRA? direct to SYD

mustafagander
2nd Feb 2000, 07:30
QF did that delivery/ferry flight from LHR using a specially formulated high density fuel and a stripped cabin. Engines are RR. Only just made it with reserves intact.
So, the answer to the question is that the B744 can be ferried empty to just about anywhere you want. :)

H721
2nd Feb 2000, 20:27
Correct me if I'm wrong.
MAS did a B747-400 (or B777?) Seattle-Kuala Lumpur delivery flight.

------------------
Not much of an engineer

aviator
3rd Feb 2000, 10:09
Just came back from MEL to LAX at MTOW (875,000 lbs). 14:13 block time with almost two hours of fuel remaining.
This beautiful airplane will fly with a full load all day long at Mach .85/86 which is econ cruise.
No need to leave everything behind to go a long ways.....

woftam
3rd Feb 2000, 10:26
aviator,it sure helps when the wind is behind you though.
A nice A/C all the same.
:)

CargoRat
3rd Feb 2000, 16:20
We flew the F with the boats for the Waterworld film direct from LUX to Hawaii. Max tanks only 20t payload (but volumetrically full). If I remember correctly was in '93. Almost 20hrs block time. We can also manage about 80t SAEZ-ELLX direct.

Continuous Ignition
9th Feb 2000, 20:51
Hey guys, thanks for your help!
Much'o appreciated....

Sorry for the delayed reply, my boss has me riding airplanes all over the country of late, only home long enough to eat and sleep before I am gone again.

Gosh, I wish us mechs had duty regs! I usually go through two fight crews a day! But the fly-girls in the back are good to me. Thank you Mr Douglas for the lower galley on the DC-10! Its a very cozy place where I like to entertain my "friends"

Anyways, thanks again! (looking for my box of hammers, a big screwdriver and magicial ink pen, cos I am leaving again)

------------------
Don't like it? Don't look at it!

Ignition Override
10th Feb 2000, 10:17
Aviator: a narrow-body FO here is going to Flt. Eng tng. very soon on the generic 747-200. (then moving to Honolulu!). Are the elec, fuel etc systems the same on the -400, with the main differences (aside from FMC, LNAV, VNAV...) consisting of more automatic relays due to the lack of the Flt. Eng.? Thanks. Our -400 FOs go to the simulator each six months to maintain landing currency, by the way. Very little hand flying the real airplane unless you are one of the two Captains...

aviator
12th Feb 2000, 02:11
Ignition Override: It has been 5 years since I was on the "Classic" 747 so my comments may not be totally accurate. You are correct in that the flight management systems are completely redesigned. The other systems have been improved and automated but are quite similar to the -100/-200. The addition of dual GPS's, FANS, satelite voice and data link, worldwide data bases and constant updates makes it a wonderful airplane.
And let us not forget the bunkroom (two beds, pax entertainment etc). On the "Classic" we were always fatigued after (and during) a long flight - up to 12 hours with no relief. They are both are great airplanes but the -400 is much easier on you.

[This message has been edited by aviator (edited 11 February 2000).]

Kottan
15th Feb 2000, 15:22
H721
You were quite right as for Malaysian's ferry flight. But instead of the 744 it was their first 772 which was directly flown SEA - KUL (as far as I remember...haha...I wasn't on board) it took about exactly 16 hours.

Kottan

--------------
Not much of an egineer too!

ZK-NSJ
17th Dec 2000, 11:10
way back in 1993 or 1994 when the a340
first came out, airbus flew from
paris to auckland non-stop.

AndrewE
18th Dec 2000, 05:45
Yes Qantas holds the current record for the longest long-haul trip. They ended up landing in Sydney with 4 tons of fuel remaining.
Qantas also holds the most amount of passengers ever carried on the 747 after a Tonrado in Darwin forced an evaacuation.

------------------
Great Quotes:
"Flying is an unnatural act, probably punishable by God."

"London Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport."

"A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is one you can still use the plane after."

boeingbuff
18th Dec 2000, 10:55
H721 the MAS flight was on MAS 772 9M-MRA the flight left seattle and flew to KUL east bound. That flight also beat the round the world time apon its arrival back in Seattle. Flew on the plane from KUL to KIX.

NSJ I believe that that Airbus flight was done with an added fuel bladder.

Andrew, El Al actually holds the record for passengers on a 747. It was done on a plane with the seats removed. An evacuation out of Ethiopia in the mid eighties. The plane actually landed with more people that it took off as a lady gave birth on board.

BB

boeingbuff
18th Dec 2000, 11:01
H721 the MAS flight was on MAS 772 9M-MRA the flight left seattle and flew to KUL east bound. That flight also beat the round the world time apon its arrival back in Seattle. Flew on the plane from KUL to KIX.

NSJ I believe that that Airbus flight was done with an added fuel bladder.

Andrew, El Al actually holds the record for passengers on a 747. It was done on a plane with the seats removed. An evacuation out of Ethiopia in the mid eighties. The plane actually landed with more people that it took off as a lady gave birth on board.

BB

ShagtheStaff
18th Dec 2000, 15:04
Kotan

What the hell does "about exactly" mean?

Is that like a precise estimate?